FM10 : Official Oldham Athletic Thread

ronaldo_1978

574pxoldhamathleticfcsv.png

History

Pine Villa Football Club was formed in 1895, though the club changed its appearance and name in 1899 to Oldham Athletic Football Club. The club immediately gained professional status and played in both the Lancashire Combination and Lancashire League. Unlike many clubs, Oldham gained quick success and gained acceptance into the Football League in 1907–08. After three years in the Second Division, the Latics gained promotion to the First Division.

Oldham also gained some success in the FA Cup by reaching the semi-finals in 1912–13 campaign but lost 1–0 versus Aston Villa. In the 1914–15, the Latics reached the quarter-finals of the FA Cup but were knocked out once again after a 0–3 replay against Sheffield United. The Latics early success was only halted by the First World War

Recent history

Graeme Sharp took over as Oldham's player-manager on the departure of Joe Royle in November 1994, but he was unable to mount a promotion challenge and the pressure continued to build up a year later when Oldham narrowly avoided relegation. Relegation to Division Two happened at the end of the 1996-97 season, just after Sharp had resigned to be succeeded by Neil Warnock.

As one of the biggest clubs in Division Two for 1997-98, and being managed by Warnock who had achieved no less than five promotions with other clubs in the last 11 years, Oldham were tipped for an immediate return to Division One, but they finished a disappointing 13th in the league and Warnock resigned. Veteran striker Andy Ritchie took over as player-manager, but he too failed to mount a promotion challenge and was sacked in October 2001 to be succeeded by Mick Wadsworth.

In 2001, Oxford based businessman Chris Moore purchased Oldham, vowing to take the club back to Premier League football within five years. Wadsworth quit as manager in the summer of 2002 to make way for Iain Dowie, who transformed Oldham's fortunes on the pitch as they made their first serious challenge for promotion in Division Two. Oldham finished third and their promotion dreams were ended in the playoffs, and their fans were furious when Moore decided to end his interest with the club—leaving behind large debts and a weak squad, and after selling the better players at a fraction of their market value at the time. For a while it looked as though the club would go out of business, but a takeover deal was soon completed.

In 2004–05, Simon Blitz and two other partners, Simon Corney and Danny Gazal, purchased Oldham, trying to rescue the club from possible liquidation. While trying to repay debts, Oldham struggled for several seasons—barely avoiding relegation once more in 2004–05. In the 2006–07, Oldham's fortune turned for the better once more as the club narrowly missed out on promotion —losing to Blackpool 5–2 on aggregate in the play-off semi-final. After two years with the club, manager John Sheridan was sacked on 15 March 2009, immediately being replaced by former manager Joe Royle. After being offered the job on a permanent basis,Royle rejected the offer and announced that he would be leaving the club after the final game of the season. Darlington boss Dave Penney was announced as Royle's successor on 30 April, though Royle still was in charge until season's end

Full name Oldham Athletic Association Football Club

Nickname The Latics

Founded 1895, as Pine Villa F.C.

Ground Boundary Park

Oldham

Greater Manchester

England

(Capacity: 10,638)

Club officials

Board of Directors and Presidents

* Chairman: Simon Blitz

* Vice-president: Chaim Beniaker

* Managing director: Simon Corney

* Chief executive and director: Alan Hardy

* Directors: Danny Gazal, Ian Hill, Barry Owen

Football Staff

* Manager: Dave Penney

* Assistant Manager: Martin Gray

* Reserve team coach: Lee Duxbury

* Goalkeeping coach: Andy Collett

* Chief scout: Graham Brown

* Senior physiotherapist: Marc Czuczman, BSc (Hons), MCSP, SRP

* Reserve and youth academy physiotherapist: Jon Guy

* Youth team coach: Tony Philliskirk

* Chief youth scout: Ron Millward

* Scout: Billy Urmson

League League One

Squad

1 GK Dean Brill

3 DF Joe Jacobson

4 MF Jon Worthington

5 MF Andy Holdsworth

6 DF Reuben Hazell

7 MF Danny Whitaker

8 FW Deane Smalley

9 FW Paweł Abbott

10 MF Rob Purdie

12 DF Kelvin Lomax

14 MF Dean Furman

16 MF Sean Gregan (captain)

17 FW Keigan Parker

18 MF Chris Taylor

19 MF Kieran Lee

21 DF Paul Black

22 FW Ryan Brooke

23 GK Josh Ollerenshaw

24 DF Liam Dawson

25 MF Chris Rowney

26 MF Alex Marrow (on loan from Blackburn Rovers)

28 MF Joe Colbeck

29 FW Djeny Bembo-Leta

30 MF Nick Blackman (on loan from Blackburn Rovers)

31 DF David Kalnoki-Kis (on loan from MTK Hungaria)[15]

32 MF Phillip McGrath

33 DF Alan Sheehan (on loan from Leeds United)

34 FW Patrik Tischler (on loan from MTK Hungaria)[15]

35 DF Norbert Csiki (on loan from MTK Hungaria)[15]

36 DF Michael McKerr

– DF Rene Steer

Team Expectations finish mid table

Last Season finish 10th place

Transfer funds £20k

League League one

Summary

Your squad is fairly big with a few loan signings from MTK, You need a Goal Keeper tho.. Dean Brill is ok but he's the only first team keeper you have.. A possible signing would be Stefan Postma on a freebie, Defence is ok to be honest, Sean Gregan and Reuben Hazell sitting in the centre will do a job for you, Right back is covered with andy holdsworth has is left back with joe jacobson plus you have keiran lee who can cover both these postions if your having injury problems... You have a few quality midfielders but lack on the left wing, chris Taylor is going to have to slip onto the left wing even tho he's really a right winger. I reccomend signing a left winger on loan if you can get one, So its taylor on the left and deane smalley on the right, For centre mid I would say Jonathan Worthington and Dean furman will be more than enough to hold in their own in this divison... Both have the capabiltys to stick a foot in and also create chances for the forwards, Ok so upfront its gonna be Keigan Parker and Pawel Abbot, I would say abbot is capable of 20 goals plus if he stays injury free and Keigan Parker your probably lucky to get 15 goals from him, He's never been prolific what ever team he's been at... On a closing note having checked the squad. I would say send back the loan signing that you currently have and look about to get your own, The MTK loanees don't lookupto much to be honest lol ... good luck :D

That's a nice post :thup: Are they not a feeder club to Man City? I just posted the team thread for them...

If they are you should try to get some players on loan. Vladimir Weiss, Jeremy Helan, Nils Zander and Alex Tchuimeni-Nimely all have very high potentials!

If anyone knows how get the bold writing I would be greatfull if you can explain how lol .... I remember there used to be a option when you was making a post or a threat but I can't see it now lol ... cheers guys

Put [ b] insert text here [ /b] (without the spaces)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I've been doing it. Took a while to get going in the first season, had to bring in a few new faces - managed to get Ezquerro, Stefanovic and Gresko, plus Joe Keenan, a Slovakian keeper called Kelemen and an Irish right-back, Van Zanten. A couple of new loanees helped out as well and I snatched an automatic promotion spot thanks to a last-minute goal on the last day of the season.

However, the squad really wasn't up to Championship level and so I made quite a few changes. This is my current first team, using a 4-1-2-2-1:

GK: Mihaylov

RB: Van Zanten

LB: Gresko

CB: Onstad

CB: Stefanovic

DM: Bridcutt

MC: Furman

MC: Bruno China

AMR: Sionko

AML: Taylor

FC: Ezquerro

Won one out of eight so far, but all but one of those defeats were by the odd goal in close games - my luck is bound to change soon...

• 5 weeks later...

Season: First Season (09/2010)

Team: Oldham

Media Predicted: 11th

Division: Coca Cola League One

Season Board objective: Finish mid-table in the league

Personal Objective: Push for promotion play offs (3rd-6th positions)

Transfer Budget: 20 000 UK Pounds

Wages Budget:

• Board wages given at the start
    :
    Slightly over 36K

• Team wages
    :
    around 35K

I have to be honesty and say I really really enjoyed that first season with the club. Everything started so so bad when I first arrived at the club. One of the many things I hate to do is to get to know the players already at the club. That’s because it takes forever to look through the players’ stats and pick up the first eleven and its substitutes. Not only that, but I have to also know the no hopers in the team and put them up for sale. After that’s done, I look through the strongest teams in the division and see how far off we are compared to them in terms of skills. Then, only I decide to hit the market but first of all and most importantly I negotiate with the board about the objective of the season.

It seems like a lot of work but what can you do when you know fcuk about the club? Pretty much the same thing. I looked through the team and found that the team has reasonable midfielders as well as a star player in Chris Taylor. Now here is the dilemma because, given that he is a winger, I don’t usually use such players that fancy wide of the field. I prefer attacking midfielders as I use formations that mostly suit them. So, I had to find a tactic that could well make use of this star player. Luckily though, he can play up front as well. With that in mind, I started with an unlikely formation:

---------- ST ------

---- AMC --- AMC ---

----------- CM ----------

------- DM --- DM---

--- LB --- CB ---- CB ---- RB---

The interesting part of that formation is that the lack of width. The play will more likely be in the middle at all times this gives the advantage of having the ball much of the time. And with the full backs set to attack and the defensive midfielders covering them, there was no worry of width problem; at least I thought. Of course the formation and tactic were not useful as the team could not win the first match of the season against Stockport, who were later in the season relegated. Indeed I lost my first league game in charge. Another loss on penalties against Bury in the JPT cup followed. Things didn’t turn around as more losses and draws followed in the next 3 league matches.

I really didn’t know what to do about as my experience in this level is not so good; well except in Northern Ireland where I managed back-to-back promotion with Chimney Corner (yeah funny name :lol: ) on FM 2009. Anyways, in sheer desperation, I did something I would normally not do and that’s to go with 4-3-3 formation with wide players. And having already star winger in Chris Taylor, it was an easy choice to go with.

---------- ST --------

LW-------------------RW

------ LCM ---- RCM ------

---------- DM ------------

LB ---- CB --- CB ----- RB

• The two wingers are set as inside forwards so expecting a lot of in runs to the goal side rather than away from the goal to cross.
  • The 2 central midfielders don’t necessarly have the same task in every match. I change around their roles depending on the opposition and the venue; the right central midfielder is usually set to “ball winning midfielder” to “support” and the left central midfielder is usually “box-to-box” or “advanced player maker” with either support or attacking depending in the situation.

So with very tight budget, I had to hit the market with the intention of loan deals. I have already had 2 teams in mind that posses very good youth players: Arsenal and Manchester United. I did praise Arsene to get good relationship and also I like the man in real life. :D

Anyways, John Fleck, Nacer Barazite, Plessis Damien, and David Gray were all loan-listed by Rangers, Arsenal, Liverpool, and Manchester United respectively so grabbed them in no time. As soon as I changed the formation and tactics to this 433, the team started to click. We have gone 5 league games unbeaten and winning 4 of them in September. At the end of the month, the unbeaten run was ended by MK Dons who surprisingly beat us at home by 3-1. This led to inconsistency in the next 3 months that followed. October was the better of the 3 months as we got wins here and there. November was disastrous as my team was unable to get any points in that period; however, we did play only 3 matches to be fair.

December was bit hit and miss before we eventually kicked off a good month in January where we finished unbeaten in that month – 3 wins and 2 draws. I was also named the 2nd in the manager of the month. So, bit of personal award.

In January, I was very delighted to have got a mervolous signing from Motherwell – Steven Hammell . He plays all across the left side of the midfield. Definitely much needed player especially in the defense although his defending is not the greatest strength but still quality player nonetheless. I also brought back David Gray from Man United whom I sent back to them after his loan finished. This time he came to me on permanent basis with 525K transfer. For screen shots look at the bottom of the post.

As far as the table is concerned, well we were floating between 10th-14th positions; but the reality of the table couldn’t still be decided. It all takes couple of wins to get into the play off positions or few run off bad results to be in the relegation zone.

In February and March, we were inconsistent again. One thing that I completely come to understand is that we do so so well when we are against the odds. We have beaten teams at venues that I totally didn’t expect. This really worried me because you don’t always face top clubs in each week. This problem led us in these two months to be inconsistent as far as the results are concerned. These two months buried any hopes of finishing in automatic promotion positions which I really didn’t expect to begin with. So, not much to worry.

Much to the delight of the club, we picked up form when it was absolutely vital. The best period of the club came in April. And I really wanted the club to win some games in consecutive. In this month, we have won 5 games and only lost once. That was very very good coz we have not really won games in succession. It was the very first time in the season we have being able to win 5 games on the trout. This also allowed the team to pick up some vital points. Another personal achievement as I was selected 3rd in the manager of the month of April.

We were 2 points behind 6th place team with 3 games to go. We won our second last game of the season which allowed the team to move from 7th place to 5th in blink of an eye. We were leading the 6th position team by goal difference and the 7th position team by just two points.

This was the table prior to the last match of the season:

5th --- Oldham --- 76 points (better goal difference than Millwall)

6th ---- Millwall --- 76 points

7th ---- Brighton --- 74 points (better goal difference than 5th and 6th team)

As you can see it all went to the last match of the season with the above points and positions by the teams. I needed a win to guarantee a play-off position; however, a point will be enough as well given either Millwall or Brighton drop points.

My team was playing against Charlton Athletic who were disappointing all season and confirmed to finish 8th going into the last game of the season. They travelled to my home ground Boundary Park with no intentions but to spoil our party.

Given our record of losing when we are big favorites, I knew it would not be a walk in the park in that evening; so, changed the tactics in accordance with the weaknesses of Charlton. However, a quick goal by Charlton Athletic silenced everyone but the visitors. I quickly glanced at the table of the league and as things stood we were in the 7th place – a position I didn’t want to finish. Another goal before the half time did nothing but to add salt to the wound of my heart as Charlton were enjoying the evening. I tried everything at half time and then later went all out with attack. Our hard work of 9 months cannot be buried down in just 90 minutes of football. Football is hardly fairy tales though and it ended with our hearts broken. Charlton Athletic beat us 2-0 at our own turf.

Now all that can save our season is if either Millwall or Brighton dropped points. I, hopelessly, looked at the table and to the surprise of my eyes we did indeed finished 6th!!! That meant we got into the last play-off position in the table. How did that happened? Well a goal conceded with only 2 minutes to go by Millwall crashed them out of the play-off positions. That allowed us to move ahead of them with better goal differences!! I was damn delighted because we did indeed deserve a shot at the promotion battle.

The play off saw us play against club rivals Huddersfield. With the first match played at home, my star loanee John Fleck missed through international match.. yeah gutted. We took one-nil lead only to concede late in the second half to finish the match 1-1. We traveled away and were less than convinced that resulted one-nil lost. So, yeah I lost in the play offs but I am still happy with how the season went. Better luck next season.

Screen shots:

• League Table: leaguetableendofthe1sts.th.jpg
  • Squad & its Stats: squadendofthe1stseason.th.jpg
  • Transfers: transfersendof1stseason.th.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

2nd Season (2010-2011):

It was a matter of improving from last season's wonderful adventure and turn into even better and sweet season. And so it was.

August, Sep, Oct, Nov, and Dec:

Having to play four out of the 6 promotion contenders in the first 5 games, it was by no means an easy start for Oldham. However, we did save pride and only lost to Brighton and on a fine afternoon with either side making chances to win the game but eventually the home side were the better finishers as they trashed us by 3-1. Fortunately, it was going to be the only loss for the club in long time in the season. We went unbeaten throughout out September, October, and November. Those surprising performances throughout this time allowed us to stay within grasp of the early leaders in Colchester. In fact, we have not dropped out of the promotion slots in all along the season. That inspired and gave me extra belief in the team. Sadly, our second loss came against high flying Coventry as they rightly and surprisingly defeated us at our own turf by 2-1. Just couple of another matches after that defeat followed another as we lost to promotion rivals Colchester away in close encounter by 1-0.

So at the end of the year in the new season, we have played 24 matches,Won 14, Drawn 7, Lost 3. That gave us total of 49 points. That's not bad at all. Another 40 more points in the second half of the season should give us automatic promotion which would be music to the ears of Boundary Park fans.

January, Feb, Mar, Aprl, and May:

The second part of the season is the most difficult yet most important to achieve the goals set forward in the first part of the season. So, I was prepared for nervous at the same time exciting matches ahead. We did the right thing as we got of the new year with a win. Wins were coming fast and thick and we got into fantastic form as we went unbeaten in 17 league matches! That firmly put us in the first position of the league after both Colchester and Derby had their times to lead the rest of the clubs in the league table. With our never give-up attitude, we got draws when we should have lost and won comfortably when should be nicking just a a goal or may be two.

The only problem or should I say the major problem was the reluctance to take full advantage against weaker sides at home. We became, at times, too complacent in those sorta of matches and at times it was my fault in going for attacking when, in these sorta of divisions where everyone is dangerous to surprise, I should have trusted my tactics and not alter much.

We were looking unbeatable until a surprise loss against Notts County at home pretty much jeopardized our whole season's efforts. I really cursed Kasper Schmeichel because nothing seemed to pass him in the two matches I have played against. The away match we only got a point despite easily dominating the match and in the reverse match it was pretty much the same story except different result as we have got nothing this time around.

Anyways, we did win the league with a game to spare. We won our last 4 games of the season to put beyond any doubts to our credentials as credible champions.

2ndseasonleaguetable.jpg

2ndseasontacticsi.jpg

squadendofthe2ndseason.jpg

transfersendof2ndseason.jpg

Yannis Tafer was the best out of the loanees. He was quite astonishing and deadly in his finishing. Scoring and passing club's top scoring record in the league with 38 league goals. That's 10 more than second placed top league scorer. The young French has scored 41 in all competitions. Getting him on permanent deal is, howeverm to far out from our hands as he cost well over 4 million pounds. It is fair to say he costs 700K pounds more than the whole club is valued!!

Competitions:

Coca Cola League One: 1st

FA Cup: Lost in the 2d round

League Cup: Lost in the Second round

JPT: Lost in the First round

As you can see I have 20 players in that squad but at the start of the 3rd season in the championship, only 9 players remained from that squad with the rest leaving on free and the 6 on loan players going back to their clubs.

So, it is going to be difficult in the championship but I am looking to sign players that will definitely make us dark horses for promotion. Would be awesome if I can finish top 10.

I have loaned back Yannis Tafer again in the 3rd season on season long loan. John Fleck as well on season loan. I have managed to sign P.B. Diop on free transfer as well as Kyle Bartley after Arsenal released him. I have bought some other players as well so will post detailed post at the end of the season.

I was given 55k pounds for wage budget (team uses around 32k) and I think around 200K for transfers! It will be miracle if we get into play off positions so fingers crossed. Just for safety though, I have to set to "avoid relegation" with the board to keep good morale and also safe my job.

I hope you guys, who ever reads, finds interesting in my save. I want to take Oldham to EPL and one day win the title and UCL. Long shot and needs patience but I will have to see and hope.

I am half way through the 3rd season with Oldham so thought I should post little update:

3rd Season:

I needed to buy and/or loan many players due to having not renewed contracts with some of the players and the loaned players going back to their respective teams. I was left with only 9 players in the first team.

3rdseasonhalfwaytransfe.jpg

The reason there are so many loaned-in players is that whoever I approach either demands wages out of my hands or snaps me for another club. Arghh. Craig Bryson, 25 years old AMC, has being worth every penny. He just can not stop scoring goals and the assists to go with. Such instrumental and inspirational player. At first I thought I made a mistake signing him but once he clicked he never looked back. Leigh Griffiths is a 21 years old striker who has amazing finishing at such young age (finishing 17, pace 16, composure 13) but since I play with only 1 forward Yannis Tafer got the nods ahead of him lately with superb form.

3rdseasonhalfwayleaguet.jpg

I am really proud with that position especially if you look at the early form. We were horrible in the first 10 games with only 1 win, 4 draws, and 5 losses. But in the next 12 games, we won 9 times, drawn once, and lost twice; this includes 5 wins in a row as things stand - Having beating my last opponent in the form "penniless" Blackburn Rovers away from home.

January is fast approaching but am really happy with the current state of the squad although I need a better back players specially goalkeeping. Will see if I can get lucky.

I would be fk-ing delighted if we continue with this form and having 2 home matches coming up next there is no reason not to hope 2nd place.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers man. It is difficult but not undoable.

Here is short summary:

1st: Finished play offs in League One

2nd: Promoted as champions from League one

3rd: Promoted from Coca Cola Championship through play offs

4th: Relegated from the EPL quite early in the season. Finished 20th

5th: Promoted from the Championship as champions

6th: Avoided relegation. Finished 16th in the EPL

I am in season 7 and I really don't want to be involved in relegation battle as that would make us bit of yo-yo club. Will see how the season goes.. this season might be my last with the club

• 1 month later...

1st: Finished play offs in League One

2nd: Promoted as champions from League one

3rd: Promoted from Coca Cola Championship through play offs

4th: Relegated from the EPL quite early in the season. Finished 20th

5th: Promoted from the Championship as champions

6th: Avoided relegation. Finished 16th in the EPL

7th: Finished 7th in the league. Won the FA Cup [Got into Europa league but lost to Real Madrid in the first round after qualifying 2nd frm the group stage]

8th: Finished 2nd in the league. Won the Carling Cup

Can't wait to participate in the Champions League for the first time with the club.

• 1 month later...

LOL

1st Season: Finished play offs in League One

2nd Season: Promoted as champions from League one

3rd Season: Promoted from Coca Cola Championship through play offs

4th Season: Relegated from the EPL quite early in the season. Finished 20th

5th Season: Promoted from the Championship as champions

6th Season: Avoided relegation. Finished 16th in the EPL

7th Season: Finished 7th in the league. Won the FA Cup

8the Season: Finished 2nd in the League. Won the CC. Lost to Real Madrid in the first round of Europa after qualifying second in the group stage

9th Season: Won the EPL, And FA CUP. Lost in the first round of UCL against Barca, lost 2-0 against Liverpool in the CC final

10th season: Won the EPL. Lost the UCL in the final against Juventus! grrr...

EDITED: done adding the last season

Archived