Guide to Assistant Manager Feedback

Hi

I was wondering if there were any guides about decifering the feedback you get from assistant managers during games?

Eg.

We're misplacing too many short passes - play narrower

etc...

cheers

Matt

Check the thread in my signature. Its all about using the assistant manager.

Technicaly your comment would work, but you are better off adjusting your passing style to play longer ball's.

The one major thing that you need to take into account when working with teh assistant manger, is his comments are relative.

If you are playing a short or mixed passing and he tells you your longer passes are better and you should be playing a direct passing style..... that actualy mean you should be play a more direct passing style, which in some cases, may not even take you beyond mixed.

The post is long, but its really worth a read as there is tons of info in there and you can actualy do fairly well off the back of the default tactics (with some minor amendments) and just the assistant mangers comments.

Also.... post back here with any others specifics and I'll try to help.

LAM

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, im putting together a list of "remedies" for the feedback from assistant managers.

I have some, with help from LAM and his guide, I am going to put together a 'comprehensive' list...

- "We are misplacing too many short passes" - Passing is too much on the short side, so move passing slider 2 places to the right.

- "We are misplacing too many long passes" - Passing is too much on the long side, move passing slider 2 places to the left.

- "Passing is abysmal" - Changes haven't been made to passing.

- "We are misplacing too many easy passes" - Tempo is too quick, move tempo slider left

- "We are being caught in possession" - Tempo is too slow, move tempo slider right

- "We should instruct our players to try playing a more direct passing game" - Passing is okay, but said advice will potentially open up defences.

- "There is too much space between defence-midfield/ midfield-strikers" - Mentality between defenders & midfielders/ Midfielders & strikers are too far apart, try using 'Rule of 2' for example.

- "Player X has been missing too many interceptions today..." - Reduce Closing down ???

- "Player X has been misplacing too many of his passes straight to the opposition" - players passing is too long move passing slider to the left. ???

- "We have seen Player X getting skinned all too often today" - ???

Some of these need correcting and I need to find the rest of the feedback quotes.

Please correct me if I am wrong on any.

• 2 weeks later...

- "Player X has been misplacing too many of his passes straight to the opposition" - players passing is too long move passing slider to the left. ???

I think the correct one for this is tempo is too fast, so slow it down 2 pegs.

May need correcting though.

Saw this one for the first time so added it...

"Player X is looking exhausted, maybe we should think about subbing him" - fairly self explanatory

The thing is though is that the AM's feedback is a very broadbrush description of the symptoms - it can't really be used to then say "do this" or "do that" in every case, because the best 'cure' can sometimes be more complex than you'd perhaps want. In essence, if you treat the AM's feedback as being direct instructions without taking into account the context or using your own judgement in reading what is going on out on the pitch, all you're doing is figuring out how to stop the AM making the comments rather than dealing with the footballing issues.

As an example - Player X is misplacing his passes. This can be stopped a number of ways - reducing passing length, slowing down the tempo, providing more passing options for Player X etc etc. However, some of the solutions may actually lead to your team playing worse rather than better even if the AM stops making the comment!

The question here isn't just "what does it mean" nor even "how do I make it go away" but rather "why is he saying it?".

I tend to react to the missing interceptions or getting skinned by increasing or reducing closing down. If passes aren't connecting for a particular player I will change his passing not the teams passing or temp. If the whole teams passing is off then I will think about changing tempo and passing.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry, been away but still been working on this.... of course, with any feedback in the game it can be misleading, but misplaced passes would be a common statement when you play a 'probing' game I assume.

Best comment ive seen is 'Why is he saying that?' hopefully this guide will help you understand why he's saying that and help you become a more tactically astute manager (aswell as me :))

but more suggestions... crossing has been good - play down flanks, crossing has been poor - play through middle.

Archived