FM09: Official : Coventry City-125 years history, can you fill there trophy cabinet?

Joebo4697

WELCOME TO THE RICOH ARENA! HOME OF COVENTRY CITY!

ramue28g.jpg

Coventry City Football Club, otherwise known as the Sky Blues owing to the traditional colour of their strip, is an association football club based in Coventry, England. Coventry City were founding members of the Premier League in 1992.

They currently play in the Football League Championship, the second-highest tier of the English league system. Their only major trophy was won in 1987 when they beat Tottenham Hotspur 3-2 to win the FA Cup, a game often cited as one of best FA Cup Finals of all time.[ They also reached two League Cup semi-finals in 1981 and 1990.

From 1899 to 2005, Coventry City played at the Highfield Road stadium. During the 1980s it became the first all-seater stadium in English football, but by the end of the following decade the club's directors decided it was time to build a bigger stadium and chose a site in the Foleshill area of the city. The Ricoh Arena was opened in August 2005.

old_ccfc_logo.gif

Basic Information

Nation: England

Founded: 1883

Chairman Status: Loves the club

Legends: Steve Ogrizovic

Icons: Jimmy Hill, Tommy Hutchinson, Ernie Hunt, David Speedy, Keith Houchen

Favoured Personal: Eric Black, Brian Borrows, Cyrille Regis, Mickey Gynn, Mo Konjic, Trevor Peake

Rivals: Aston Villa, Leicester

Finances

Estimated Value: 10.75m (loan debt 13.25m)

Transfer Budget: 1.5-2.6m (money depends on targets)

Wage Budget: 77-91k (money depends on targets)

Stadium and facilities

Stadium: Ricoh Arena

Capacity: 32000(all seater)

Year Built: 2005

Reserve Stadium: Butlin Road

Training Facilties: Good

Youth Facilities: Average

Main Events

1883 - The club is founded by employees of Singers, the cycle firm, with William Stanley one of the leading lights.

1898 - The club's name is changed from Singers F.C. to Coventry City.

1899 - The club move to Highfield Road following stints at Dowells Field and Stoke Road.

1901 - The club suffer their worst ever defeat with a disappointing 11-2 loss against Worcester-based Berwick Rangers in the qualifying round of the FA Cup.

1919 - The club are voted into the Football League, where they have remained ever since.

1928 - In the cold of February and with Coventry struggling near the foot of Division Three South, the club's worst ever attendance is recorded. Only 2,059 turn up for the match against Crystal Palace.

1932 - Centre-forward Clarrie Bourton heads the Football League scoring lists with 49 goals. The following season he scored 40 goals.

1934 - City record their biggest ever victory a 9-0 league drubbing of Bristol City.

1936 - Coventry City win the Third Division South championship after a nail-biting final day 2-1 victory over Torquay United and return to Division Two after eleven years in the lower division.

1958 - Goalkeeper Alf Wood becomes the oldest player to start a game for the club, this year founding members of Division Four (now Football League Two). He played against Plymouth Argyle in the FA Cup aged 43 years and 207 days.

1961 - Former Fulham player and P.F.A. chairman Jimmy Hill is appointed manager following an embarrassing FA Cup defeat to Kings Lynn.

1964 - Jimmy Hill guides Coventry to promotion from Division Three (now Football League One) as champions after a final day 1-0 victory over Colchester United.

1967 - Coventry City promoted from Division Two to the top flight for the first time in their history. This made manager, and BBC Sport presenter Jimmy Hill a legend at the club. Coventry's record attendance was also set in this year - 51,455 against Wolverhampton Wanderers, the team which Coventry would only just finish above at the top of the table.

1970 - Coventry qualified for the European Fairs Cup but lost 7-3 on aggregate in the 2nd round to Bayern Munich, despite winning the second leg 2-1 at Highfield Road.

1987 - The Sky Blues won the FA Cup, beating Tottenham Hotspur in the final. It is their only major trophy to date. They were runners-up to Everton in August in the Community Shield. Coventry also won the FA Youth Cup in this year.

1989 - Coventry defeated by Sutton United in FA Cup.[2]

2001 - Coventry relegated from the FA Premier League after 34 years in the first tier.

2003 - Ben Mackey, Coventry's youngest ever player makes his debut as a substitute against Ipswich Town aged 16 years and 167 days.

2004 - Their football academy, based in southeast Coventry at The Alan Higgs Centre, owned by the Alan Higgs Trust, was opened in September 2004.[3][4]

2005 - Coventry relocated to the 32,609 seater Ricoh Arena after 106 years at Highfield Road.

2007 - Coventry narrowly avoided administration when Ray Ranson took over the club at the last minute

Squad

1 GK Keiren Westwood

2 DF Stephen Wright

3 DF Marcus Hall

4 DF Daniel Fox

5 DF Elliott Ward

6 DF Scott Dann (captain)

7 MF Guillaume Beuzelin

8 MF Michael Doyle

9 FW Leon Best

10 FW Freddy Eastwood

12 MF Aron Gunnarsson

14 FW Leon McKenzie

16 MF Isaac Osbourne

18 MF Jordan Henderson (on loan from Sunderland)

19 FW Clinton Morrison

20 DF Ben Turner

21 DF James McPake

23 GK Danny Ireland

24 FW Robbie Simpson

25 MF David Bell

29 MF Kevin Thornton

33 GK Andy Marshall

36 MF Adam Walker

37 DF Jordan Clarke

38 MF Sean Fraser

39 DF Curtis Wynter

40 MF Ashley Cain

Squad Anyalsis:

Goalkeepers: In Keiren Westwood you have a great 1st choice keeper, and also at the age of 23 he can only get better. Marshall is getting old and his stats have started to decline so I'd offload him straight away. Konstantopoulos could be a useful player but if you offer him to clubs some Greek team normally offers 250k for him, which is a good deal.

Full Backs: On the right side the only natural full back you have is Stephen Wright, a new signing, but he is far from worthy of being a first team regular. You should look to loan him for the first season then sell him in the second. Isaac Osbourne can cover at right back and should be kept as he could potentially be a good player. On the left side expierenced full back Marcus Hall still looks like a good full back despite his age. He is good back-up in the first season so he should be kept unless a good offer come in. Fox is very good and his good IRL preformances are showed with his stats on the game.

Centre Backs: In Elliott Ward you have one of the best centre backs outside the premiership so he should be a regular starter. Dann and Turner both are good players and have the potential to be great so they should be kept as back-up. James Mcpake is ok but you already have to good back-up players so he should be sold for 250k+. I reccomend buying a good centre back who is capable at playing at the back next to Ward.

Key Players:

Elliott Ward

Elliott_Ward_celeb_Coventry_v_Stoke_781962.jpg

Despite signing a four-year contract extension with West Ham in August 2005, Ward left the East London club in the summer of 2006, joining Coventry City for £1m.

His performances for Coventry have attracted significant interest from Charlton Athletic and Fulham, or even a move back to former club West Ham for reported £2.5 million fees. The speculation heightened when Ward was omitted from the starting line up that faced Bristol City in an F.A. Cup 3rd round tie on 6 January. Coventry manager Micky Adams vehemently denied the rumour that Ward had been dropped to avoid him being cup-tied, but insisted that Ward had picked up a hamstring strain and thus was unfit to play. In January 2009 he has been linked with a move to Preston.

Freddy Eastwood

107eastwood_468x606.jpg

Eastwood signed a four-year deal with Wolves in July 2007 after completing a £1.5m move from Southend. The striker started the 2007–08 season impressively, scoring his first goal for Wolves on his full debut in the League Cup first round win over Bradford City, and finishing the month with 4 goals to his name. This prolific start earned him the Championship Player of the Month Award for August. However, his goals dried up in the following months and he was often on the substitutes' bench or left out of the squad completely, with Andy Keogh, Jay Bothroyd, Kevin Kyle and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake now ahead of him in the pecking order.

He was close to a move away from Molineux to Coventry City in March 2008, but this collapsed at the last minute. He remained popular with many Wolves fans, who believed he had not been given a fair run of games, which caused a split between the fans towards the end of the season. He finished the campaign with just 3 goals in 10 league starts (35 appearances in total), prompting him to be transfer-listed, with manager Mick McCarthy explaining, "It's nothing personal, but it hasn't worked out how either of us would have liked. He hasn't fitted into my team but he wants to play and will do well elsewhere. We wish him luck." In July 2008, he joined fellow Championship club Coventry City in a four-year deal for a reported £1.2million fee.

Why you should start as Coventry?

Coventry have a proud history but have not won a trophy in 21 years. They have never one the Premier League before so it's up to YOU to change that.

Also the team are boosted with good finances and a good transfer and wage budget.

The Ricoh Arena is a very big new stadium and when it gets filled week after week you can make lots of money.

There is some good players in the team but if you want to go up some changes and transfers are needed.

HOPE YOU ENJOY PLAYING AS COVENTRY, GOOD LUCK!

So decided to get the ball rolling and have started as Coventry. I've got a 2 year promotion plan, I'm aiming for a top half finish this season and promotion the next. I've got 2m for transfers and should get another 1m after I've offloaded all the dead-wood.

So decided to get the ball rolling and have started as Coventry. I've got a 2 year promotion plan, I'm aiming for a top half finish this season and promotion the next. I've got 2m for transfers and should get another 1m after I've offloaded all the dead-wood.

Good luck. :thup:

Yes they're all very good players. Fox looks very good, you should give him a try :thup:

EDIT: I've added a little bit of squad anylasis, more to follow.

EDIT2: Thanks for adding the word official to the thread title Purefun!

• 4 weeks later...

Ive started a game with Cov, and got promoted in my first season in 2nd place (about 20 points behind Reading). Still my media prediction was 21st so 2nd was a bit of a shock. Eastwood got all the goals, Manciene came in on loan from Chelsea and was tremendous will Ward as centre backs. Ander from Zaragoza and Kevin Bobson on the wing have really been performing in the Championship. From the original squad i have 5 who start regularly. You need to make astute buys to do anything with them as the squad is a bit thin and a tad poor. Still, an excellent keeper (Westwood), excellent Centre Back (Ward) Excellent Def Mid (Gunnarson) and a goalscorer (Eastwood) is a reasonable base to build from. The Premiership may be difficult i fear.

I'm in my third season of 9.2 patch. Got promoted in my first season as runners up, I signed El Mohammady (DR), Mark Beevers (DC), Jake Thomson (AMR), Gary Glen (ST), Don Cowie (MC/R) and David Connolly(ST) on loan.

I'm currently 7th in the Prem with three games remaining my best XI is:

---------------------------Renan--------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------

Mohammady------Spence-----------Beevers--------Mathieu

Thomson---------Borysiuk------------Souza-----------Fleck

-----------------Marquinhos---------Saivet-----------------

Squad Players:

Westwood

Torge

Shelvey

Baxter

Lewandowski

Dubardier

Schneiderlin

Ozdogan

Kadlec

Rapnik

Nice squad there CovDan. Potentially your existing squad should be good enough to qualify for the Uefa Cup because you have some players with great potentials (Renan, Beevers, Spence, Fleck, Marquinhos, Saivet, Baxter, Lewandowski, Rapnick, Torje, Schneiderlin).

Looking to add a target man in the summer, either Milevskyi or Cardozo. I have some quality regens in my squad too. My scout (who has 20 for potential) says 8 of them have the potential to be leading stars in the Premiership!!

Not sure whether I'll be able to keep Marquinhos though, Arsenal and Liverpool are said to be preparing £40 million pound bids!!

Ive started a game with Cov, and got promoted in my first season in 2nd place (about 20 points behind Reading). Still my media prediction was 21st so 2nd was a bit of a shock. Eastwood got all the goals, Manciene came in on loan from Chelsea and was tremendous will Ward as centre backs. Ander from Zaragoza and Kevin Bobson on the wing have really been performing in the Championship. From the original squad i have 5 who start regularly. You need to make astute buys to do anything with them as the squad is a bit thin and a tad poor. Still, an excellent keeper (Westwood), excellent Centre Back (Ward) Excellent Def Mid (Gunnarson) and a goalscorer (Eastwood) is a reasonable base to build from. The Premiership may be difficult i fear.

When you get promoted buy Renan (GK), Beevers (DC), Spence (DC), Mattock (DL), Jake Thomson (AMR), Scneiderlin (MC), Borysiuk (DMC), Diego Souza (AMC), Saivet (ST)

Easy!!

My goal is to have an all British starting XI in a couple of seasons, at the moment my reserves team is largely English players with potential to be Prem Leading stars!! (inc some regens):

----------------------------Ainslie-----------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------

Whittle----------Blackmore------------Foster--------------Dixon

Yates------------Sinclair-------------Shelvey--------Mohammed

------------------Baxter-------------Daniels-------------------

I want to get my domestic bias up, it's about 6 at the moment!

When you get promoted buy Renan (GK), Beevers (DC), Spence (DC), Mattock (DL), Jake Thomson (AMR), Scneiderlin (MC), Borysiuk (DMC), Diego Souza (AMC), Saivet (ST)

Easy!!

Only been give 9 million budget, got in Glauber on a free, Mancienne will set me back about 3m but its a good buy. Leaving 6m for a tall nippy striker whos exellent in the air! Chamakh would do but they want 9 million for him.

Mancienne has the potential to be a good premiership player so good buy. Beevers and Mattock can be brought for a combined fee of less than 4m so why don't you give them a try?

they may be good but a creative midfielder and a strong fast striker are essential for the way i like to play. besided Mattocks gone to Man Utd.

played first game of the season, got a flukey 2-2 away at Chelsea, Eastwood only came on for the last 10 minutes and scored them both.

Westwood

Opare

Goossens

Glauber

Ward

Hofs

De Ceulaar

Gunnarsson

Taarabt

Altidore

Linz

Everyone should buy Opare, he cost me 90k from Zaragoza, his physical stats are tremendous, and he got a work permit with only 1 cap which must mean he's good!

Any recommended signing's for the first season?

Benjii De Ceulaar from RKC, 1.4m plays on either wing and as a striker. My player of the season when i got promoted first season.

Also, Ander from Zaragoza. £110k - theres your attack minded midfielder sorted.

Any recommended signing's for the first season?
In your 1st season, sign players that will be good enough for the Championship now and develop to be Prem quality. Loan the others. I'd sign any of the following:

Ahmed El Mohammady - D/WBR

Mark Beevers - DC

Adam Lallana or Jonjo Shelvey - MC/AMC

Saban Ozdogon - MC

Morgan Scneiderlin - MC

Jake Thomson -AMR (He's ripping the prem up in 3rd season, 7 apps, 3 goals, 4 assists!)

Gary Glen - ST

I'd loan:

David Connolly - ST from Sunderland, will score loads. (Remember Clinton Morrison is crap on this game!)

John Ruddy - GK from Everton, flog Konstantopolous.

You'll also need to loan a AML, there's no-one I can think of that will be a good long term investment, so save your cash!!

If you have a tight budget try buying Rapnik, Mcgowan and Rhodes. After 2 years you can sell them on for over 3m :thup: If you transfer some of your transfer budget into you wage budget there are some quality free agents you can sign (Walker, Soley, Appiah, Smertin, Marlet and Celso Ayala. All of those players should still play well for 2 to 3 years which buy then you should have some capable youngsters.

Hi, The only problem with this though is if you manage to qualify for europe, you will fail the Home Grown players rule as this happened to me when I revamped the whole first team line-up ....

I'm in my third season of 9.2 patch. Got promoted in my first season as runners up, I signed El Mohammady (DR), Mark Beevers (DC), Jake Thomson (AMR), Gary Glen (ST), Don Cowie (MC/R) and David Connolly(ST) on loan.

I'm currently 7th in the Prem with three games remaining my best XI is:

---------------------------Renan--------------------------

Mohammady------Spence-----------Beevers--------Mathieu

Thomson---------Borysiuk------------Souza-----------Fleck

-----------------Marquinhos---------Saivet-----------------

Squad Players:

Westwood

Torge

Shelvey