Pre - Ajax System for FM2009 onwards “AFC Ajax“ 1990s

Starting a test career game with Ajax today; on FM09. Not quite sure what I will put into this thread yet; saving most for the main thread. Questions and input etc as always welcome, I hope I'll have a base system ready for download by the next weekend.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Marz, that sounds great, always look forward to your threads

Glad to be back on the scene. :cool:

marz:

Good to have you back. I know you only play with Ajax but I was wondering if you ever thought about setting up the system to see if you could be successful with it in England or Scotland?

Once tried it with a club in the third or conference league. And the less said the better. Hoping to get past Ajax and maybe play it with Barcelona if I get that far in my career game.

I'm looking forward to playing FM09, as the central defenders FWR (forward runs) are not locked like in FM07 & 08. So from that point of view the Ajax System can be replicated more to it's real life example.

Going to delay my test game for a week though sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry that I've not updated this thread more this week. Been trying to race through my last FM07 season (trying to win 3rd consecutive Champions league win). :D

I am going to upload my current Ajax System (3-1-3-3). Please bear in mind that it has not been tested with FM09. But in theory it should work with FM09 (but the ME will behave slightly different). Below is the theoretical positions within the System (possible FM positions) along with the numbering; Ajax used to use:-

No.9-S

No11-AML, S(FL)                                     No7-AMR, S (FR)

No.10 MC,AMC

No8-MC                          No6-MC

No.4 DC,DMC, MC

No5 DLC       No3 SW, DC       No2 DRC

No1 GK                  

As always for the No 8 & 6 positions, its good to have a ball winner and a creative type.

One problem I have already seen (seems to be in every version of FM) is the positioning of the Halfbacks (No5 &2).

One change I have done recently which wasn’t in any of the downloads I think. Was to have the 3 defenders marking organized slightly different. The Backs (5&2) on Man-marking, and the central defender (3) on Zonal-marking. All are set to not mark tight, in general play; I also don’t tend to give tight marking instructions during the match (would override individual instructions).

One other thing I have also added to the general play is to have the defensive line on push-up. In FM07 it seems to counter the goalkeeper distribution; Defender collect. As the defenders push up to the defensive line straight away. Not sure if poor to average Off the ball stats and tempo also impact this.

Marz:

How about 3.1 and 3.2?

Latest version 3.3 is available for download (FM07 tested, with FM09 in mind) WinRAR needed.

http://files.filefront.com/13500010

I will write a list of needed tweaks (match situation), sometime before the end of the weekend. But its obviously best to use this as a framework and tweak it to suit your players and preferred style.

List of common tweaks I make wont be written up till Monday or Tuesday. It will probably also come with a new download.

As I played a few test games I found that the FWR on the DC doesn't have the desired effect. In FM07 I’m currently switched to a SW DL DR DMC at the back, with the Half-Backs (5&2) on mentality 9. The DMC also has lower closing down. CF for the wingers has been increased by +1.

Marz - I just downloaded the tactic to give it a go and see what I notice.

Ok thanks, going to upload a new version later today (with much needed improvements).

How have you found the team playing with Time wastin set as rarely?

Which positions are to be the targetman and playmaker positions?

Not quite sure what you mean by "time wastin set as rarely". Should be set as default to 1, sometimes I set it to the last rarely (when the opponents are parking the bus in front of their goal and I am leading anyway).

The target man should be your striker No 9. And for playmaker I tend to go with the DMC No 4. If the opponents are playing with an AMC, and he has got the ability (stats) to cause problems. Then I tend to assign the playmaker role to either No 8 or 6 or even No10 (if the opponent don't play with a DMC or a Pirlo like DMC).

Marz:

A question on goalkeepers. I currently have Ochoa and Ustari and they are costing me goals when they have the ball at their feet at the top of the box, losing the ball to the opposition for an easy tap in. Which stat should I look for in a keeper to alleviate this - off the ball??

Ok thanks, going to upload a new version later today (with much needed improvements).

Not quite sure what you mean by "time wastin set as rarely". Should be set as default to 1, sometimes I set it to the last rarely (when the opponents are parking the bus in front of their goal and I am leading anyway).

The target man should be your striker No 9. And for playmaker I tend to go with the DMC No 4. If the opponents are playing with an AMC, and he has got the ability (stats) to cause problems. Then I tend to assign the playmaker role to either No 8 or 6 or even No10 (if the opponent don't play with a DMC or a Pirlo like DMC).

Marz:

A question on goalkeepers. I currently have Ochoa and Ustari and they are costing me goals when they have the ball at their feet at the top of the box, losing the ball to the opposition for an easy tap in. Which stat should I look for in a keeper to alleviate this - off the ball??

Francisco Guillermo Ochoa & Oscar Ustar?

Off the ball is a key stat but I would also look at the other relevant stats (tried to give an simple example but not all stats will apply that rigidly, but my guess is that many will even interlink):-

Your DLC has the ball near your own box on the left side, cant go forward as he’s directly pressured by the opponents Striker. Your DMC is at an angle where he cant be passed to and your SW/DC is covered by the opponents other Striker. There are many options for the DLC, but lets say he has already made up his mind. And will pass it back to the Goalkeeper.

The examples below are from the Goalkeepers perspective and his ability (stats).

Anticipation - Does he anticipate that he needs to be involved, and therefore tries to move into the right position. When he has the ball or before it even arrives by his feet can he anticipate how his team-mates and his opponents will move.

Composure - During the whole process of the move will he remain calm and composed. Not sure if a low professionalism and high composure stat will make the GK over confident (dwells on ball).

Concentration - The way SI explain it, is that players with low stat in this will switch off/lose concentration late in games. But I’m sure other things must be programmed into the game too, like low intensity move suddenly turning into a fast move requiring higher concentration. Or early on in the match, first few minutes is the Goalkeeper alert.

Creativity - If he has the ball or before he receives it, has he got the vision to look for the next pass. Other example being can he play himself out of trouble creativity would be one of the stats needed.

Decision - During the whole process of the move does he even make the right decisions. Get involved in the first place, go towards the ball (not sure this is in the game), wait for the ball to come to him (might have decided to wait for the ball then realised [anticipation] that the pass is not strong enough and that he needs to go towards it.) This is just before he can even think about how to control and pass the ball (Row Z).

Teamwork - Will affect the decision if he will get involved in the first place. Potential problem is that the DLC in this example has already made up his mind. So if the goalkeeper is not a team player (low stat) he is likely to have decided not to help his team-mate out. The DLC passes regardless and the Goalkeeper has less time to respond (placing more demand on his stats/ability). Obvious problems being interceptions before the ball reaches the GK or he gets caught by the Striker who was marking your SW/DC.

Positioning - Lets say he has the right stats/ability for the above stats (even hidden ones). Does he move in accordance with what goes on in front of him (this would interlink with many stats).

This might give you an idea if the players ability is the problem. First touch and technique are also important in the above example, how quickly can he kill the ball (puts the GK under less pressure) or controlling the ball so that he can pass it straight away (some physical & goalkeeping stats will also impact). If your Goalkeeper dwells on the ball then I would say it’s a problem with either the sliders (explained below) or his attitude.

One thing I have changed again, is up the tempo to 12 (less ball dwelling). But you will need the new version, just having a few more full-matches and then I will upload it sometime tonight (hoping to start playing FM09 next week onwards).

I have noticed that my goalkeepers with higher eccentricity stats and flair seem to do more in build-up then they should. My upload is set up for my first choice GK who hasn’t got the flair and eccentricity so I have to move heaven and earth to get him to participate in build-up. This could cause a problem with Goalkeepers who are suitable to participating in build-up and then do to much because of the way the sliders are set-up.

I'm not quite sure how your Goalkeepers are getting caught, but you could try setting RWB (run with ball) to rarely and lower the mentality and creative freedom settings.

There are lots of other problem and solution. Are your defenders moving correctly to make it easier for the GK to pass, he could be forced into having to hang on to the ball to long because no one is moving. Maybe the teams overall attitude is not right, to relaxed?

Sorry got a bit carried away… :D

Marz:

many thanks. The main concern with these two keepers,Ochoa and Ustar, is the ball is played back, and he brings it up to the top of the box with his feet, he has plenty of options, but chooses to hold the ball, allowing the opoosition to steal it from him and score. I also have Tomasz Kuschak and have not seem the same error from him. I guess I should compare the stats between keepers?

Francisco Guillermo Ochoa & Oscar Ustar?

Off the ball is a key stat but I would also look at the other relevant stats (tried to give an simple example but not all stats will apply that rigidly, but my guess is that many will even interlink):-

Your DLC has the ball near your own box on the left side, cant go forward as he’s directly pressured by the opponents Striker. Your DMC is at an angle where he cant be passed to and your SW/DC is covered by the opponents other Striker. There are many options for the DLC, but lets say he has already made up his mind. And will pass it back to the Goalkeeper.

The examples below are from the Goalkeepers perspective and his ability (stats).

Anticipation - Does he anticipate that he needs to be involved, and therefore tries to move into the right position. When he has the ball or before it even arrives by his feet can he anticipate how his team-mates and his opponents will move.

Composure - During the whole process of the move will he remain calm and composed. Not sure if a low professionalism and high composure stat will make the GK over confident (dwells on ball).

Concentration - The way SI explain it, is that players with low stat in this will switch off/lose concentration late in games. But I’m sure other things must be programmed into the game too, like low intensity move suddenly turning into a fast move requiring higher concentration. Or early on in the match, first few minutes is the Goalkeeper alert.

Creativity - If he has the ball or before he receives it, has he got the vision to look for the next pass. Other example being can he play himself out of trouble creativity would be one of the stats needed.

Decision - During the whole process of the move does he even make the right decisions. Get involved in the first place, go towards the ball (not sure this is in the game), wait for the ball to come to him (might have decided to wait for the ball then realised [anticipation] that the pass is not strong enough and that he needs to go towards it.) This is just before he can even think about how to control and pass the ball (Row Z).

Teamwork - Will affect the decision if he will get involved in the first place. Potential problem is that the DLC in this example has already made up his mind. So if the goalkeeper is not a team player (low stat) he is likely to have decided not to help his team-mate out. The DLC passes regardless and the Goalkeeper has less time to respond (placing more demand on his stats/ability). Obvious problems being interceptions before the ball reaches the GK or he gets caught by the Striker who was marking your SW/DC.

Positioning - Lets say he has the right stats/ability for the above stats (even hidden ones). Does he move in accordance with what goes on in front of him (this would interlink with many stats).

This might give you an idea if the players ability is the problem. First touch and technique are also important in the above example, how quickly can he kill the ball (puts the GK under less pressure) or controlling the ball so that he can pass it straight away (some physical & goalkeeping stats will also impact). If your Goalkeeper dwells on the ball then I would say it’s a problem with either the sliders (explained below) or his attitude.

One thing I have down again is up the tempo to 12 (less ball dwelling). But you will need the new version, just having a few more full-matches and then I will upload it sometime tonight (hoping to start playing FM09 next week onwards).

I have noticed that my goalkeepers with higher eccentricity stats and flair seem to do more in build-up then they should. My upload is set up for my first choice GK who hasn’t got the flair and eccentricity so I have to move heaven and earth to get him to participate in build-up. This could cause a problem with Goalkeepers who are suitable to participating in build-up and then do to much because of the way the sliders are set-up.

I'm not quite sure how your Goalkeepers are getting caught, but you could try setting RWB (run with ball) to rarely and lower the mentality and creative freedom settings.

There are lots of other problem and solution. Are your defenders moving correctly to make it easier for the GK to pass, he could be forced into having to hang on to the ball to long because no one is moving. Maybe the teams overall attitude is not right, to relaxed?

Sorry got a bit carried away… :D

Yes i mean teh upload! sendspace of rapidshare! Thank you.

Ok I'll have a look about putting the new version on one of those you have mentioned. :)

Marz:

many thanks. The main concern with these two keepers,Ochoa and Ustar, is the ball is played back, and he brings it up to the top of the box with his feet, he has plenty of options, but chooses to hold the ball, allowing the opoosition to steal it from him and score. I also have Tomasz Kuschak and have not seem the same error from him. I guess I should compare the stats between keepers?

Check that RWB (run with the ball) is set to rarely. Could you please post which stats (apart from physical attributes) are dissimilar (3-4 more or less) between T. Kuschak and Ochoa/Ustar.

Yes it would is the simple answer. Retraining would be need for players who can't play as Strikers (in FM09). I’ve read somewhere on the forum that after a few season (depends on the players versatility) positions can now be trained to natural (very good addition, if true). So if your players have got the stats then just retrain them.

SI used to call those positions FL and FR (Forward left & Forward right), which I think was more accurate. But then again mentality (mainly) should be the deciding factor (between Forward or Striker). I set it up to reflect the Wingers in the Ajax System, the Wingers are not really there to score themselves (No9 and 10 do that mainly). If you wanted goal scoring Wingers then the closest would be something like the Zdenek Zeman 433 or the Alberto Zaccheroni 343.

Henry IRL at Barcelona is a good example, he is (in the game set as) a Natural Striker. But IRL had problems adjusting to the new role as an outside left. Even though SI describe the outside left & right as Striker I wouldn’t view those roles (within the Ajax System) as being pure striker roles; especially not in modern (current) football.

Ok thanks for that. I do have to say that the backline with the DM, DL, DR and SW looks much more solid than the previous version with the three DC's and DM. No longer am I getting murdered by a (A)MR/L who can get their crosses in way to easily because one of the backs is to slow to pick them up.

Ok thanks for that. I do have to say that the backline with the DM, DL, DR and SW looks much more solid than the previous version with the three DC's and DM. No longer am I getting murdered by a (A)MR/L who can get their crosses in way to easily because one of the backs is to slow to pick them up.

Good to know that its working in FM09 as well.

Going to delay the read-me till late Wednesday (going into thursday morning) sorry. Please post questions or issues here and I will try to answer them within the read-me.

Few changes I have made since the upload are:-

Playing with counter-attack ticked (still need more time to see overall effects).

And I have linked the Wingers mentality to that of the midfielders (so they are all on team mentality). As a result in the decreased mentality I have put Forward runs onto often for the Wingers.

Read-Me for 3.6up

I’ve recently tried to make the download easier to use (only a few things need tweaking from match to match and during it, through team tweaks).

The team settings directly affect these players:-

Mentality: Directly affects (through the team setting) No11 (F/SL), No7 (F/SR), No8 (left MC), No6 (right MC) and No4 (DMC)

Since the 3.6 upload I sometimes put the DMC on Mentality 10 with FWR (forward runs) often .

And I have linked the Wingers mentality to that of the midfielders (so they are all on team mentality). As a result in the decreased mentality I have put Forward runs onto often for the Wingers. Potential problem could be that when the MC’s need to be on the 1st attacking mentality (opponents parking the team bus in front of their goal). The Wingers shouldn’t be on only a high Normal mentality to ensure that they provide wide options for the DMC and defenders to use.

I try to keep an eye on the distances between members of the team and the opposition. Its normally easy to spot if the opposition go defensive (2 banks of 4 or similar depending on their formation) .

Another thing that occurs is that you will see your holding midfielders are to deep. And pick up the ball (try to hold up the ball) in and around the opponents strikers. This is to deep and is an indicator that the mentality needs to be increased.

Creative Freedom: Directly affects (through the team setting) No11 (F/SL), No7 (F/SR) and No10 (central MC)

My No8 is the more creative holding midfielder so he has CF (creative freedom) set as 1st Much. While the No6 is the more defensive holding midfielder has CF set as the highest Normal. This should be changed if your players abilities are different.

Passing: Directly affects (through the team setting) the No5 (DL) and No2 (DR).

(I tend to switch the No 5 & 2 try through balls from rarely to mixed, if I think they should be more ambitious in their passes to the Wingers.

I set this sliders directly to the two Half-Backs (the rest of the team [apart from No3 SW & No4 DMC] should be passing on the ground (set to 6 1st notch above short).

I normally tend to increased this from (set instruction 10) to 12 or even 1st direct when the oppositions wide men are pressing the Backs. Normally occurs when the opposition is playing with:-

AML, S, AMR, AMC

AML, S, S, AMR

F/SL, S , S, F/SR

When they opposition are then also pressing high up the pitch, they naturally leave gaps. By increasing the passing instructions the Backs should look to pass above those pressing and into the Wingers, No10 etc.

Saying all that recently played Benfica and their AML, S, AMR, AMC did not press high up the pitch. So build up could be done normally.

Tempo: Is set to 12. By viewing the match in full (best as sometimes tempo is correct and something else is going wrong) or at least keeping an eye on possession & pass completed stat it should be tweaked accordingly.

Closing Down: Directly affects (through the team setting) No8 (left MC), No6 (right MC)

I tend to keep it similar to mentality. Key for me is that these Players can when possession is lost tackle immediate or go straight into covering positions. Setting like mentality depends largely on the oppositions (specifically the opponents midfield) and match situation.

Sorry but I won’t be around till 13th April, going to finish the read-me then.

Hi Marz :)

Im not sure you know about mentality in Fm2009, but it mainly affects pass risk and positioning.

It doesn't affect closing down or tackling..PaulC said that :)

Oh and Creative Freedom is simply a modifier on flair.

Flair generally increases the chances of a player taking the "exciting" option - mainly longshots.. what I noticed).

More here : http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=108695&page=3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First of sorry that I have not updated the read-me on the stated date. I have been busy and also have not played any FM since the last post. Good news is that I should have my new computer sometime in early May; so my threads will be more FM09 specific. Bad news is that the re-write of my original Ajax System thread will take longer. As I’ll be very busy in the run up to FM10. So I might decide at some point to base the theory translation on FM10 which will then delay it till December 2009/early 2010. :(

Hi Marz :)

Im not sure you know about mentality in Fm2009, but it mainly affects pass risk and positioning.

It doesn't affect closing down or tackling..PaulC said that :)

Oh and Creative Freedom is simply a modifier on flair.

Flair generally increases the chances of a player taking the "exciting" option - mainly longshots.. what I noticed).

More here : http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=108695&page=3

I see the settings (mentality, closing down) as just that in general. But you also have to bear in mind (like you said mentality affects positioning) that if your (example) midfielders are pushing up (positioning) higher then they also need to closedown higher. That’s why I keep those mentalities similar to each other.

Thanks for the link, think I posted in that thread. Paul posted a few things which did surprise me and (probably) a few others.

Great work here Marz I think version 3.6 is the best you've ever made. Thanks for getting me back into FM09.

Glad to hear that it got you back into FM. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Marz... the main man, glad to see your still flying the van Gaal flag with the 90's system. Im gonna start my 09 career game in a week or so and will be downloading your tactic and making some tweaks of my own. I really want to get the #4 position as close to Rijkaard as possible and get the problem #10 to be a creative goalscorer.

Gutted to see the same issues with 2&5 positioning as other versions but im sure one of us will come up with the answer.

Good to see you back dude, back with your fellow Joden :)

Marz, it would be great if you write the stats that each of the positions in 3.6 requires or you think are necessary. If you wrote that already, just link it. And more thing, should FR and FL be trained like wingers or strikers or maybe something in-between? Thanks.

Marz... the main man, glad to see your still flying the van Gaal flag with the 90's system. Im gonna start my 09 career game in a week or so and will be downloading your tactic and making some tweaks of my own.

Please let us now how you get on. I’m hopefully starting my 09 career sometime during the weekend.

Gutted to see the same issues with 2&5 positioning as other versions but im sure one of us will come up with the answer

Playing the Half-backs from DL and DR, with SW and DMC seems the closest to the Ajax System style at the moment.

I really want to get the #4 position as close to Rijkaard as possible and get the problem #10 to be a creative goalscorer.

Don’t forget that its not just the settings for the #4 & 10 that make them play like that.

Marz, it would be great if you write the stats that each of the positions in 3.6 requires or you think are necessary. If you wrote that already, just link it. And more thing, should FR and FL be trained like wingers or strikers or maybe something in-between? Thanks.

As for stats for each position I havn't got the time at the moment to write that up sorry; maybe in 2 or 3 weeks.

Wingers training should be something inbetween, also depends on the players available. Sorry a bit on the fence, I'll see if I can find some spare time to post individual stats for the positions.

Don’t forget that its not just the settings for the #4 & 10 that make them play like that.

Yeah I know that, I'm setting it up so my 6 is the more attack minded midfielder (Aissati in mind for this) 8 the more defensive one (Emanuelson).

Well so far I have tested the set-up and it seems to work ok, I play some good possession football. But still want to get my 4 involved more as a playmaker of sorts.

This was my test team. No.s are position orientated.

1. GK -Stekelenberg

2. RB -Van Der Wiel

3. SW -Oleguer (temporary)

4. DM -Vertonghen (for now)

5. LB -Vermaelen

6. RCM -Gabri

7. FR -Suarez

8. LCM -Emanuelson

9. ST -Huntelaar (pre patch)

10. AM -Aissati

11. FL -Sulejmani

Looking at replacing 3, 4 and 7 predominantly, then play Aissati 6. and try Suarez as my 10. will post my instructions later. but my backs (2 & 5) have man marking, the rest of my team is zonal. I am trying to play football at a decent pace with short passing, getting it out to my wingers. The way I have set my team up to attack the system alters with the player movement. When attacking its like a 3-2-5 and when defending a 4-2-3-1 or a classic Ajax 4-3-3. My results in 3 games are pretty solid. But I handpicked my opponents so its not really a true test. Until the Amsterdam Tournament when I have Arsenal, Shaktar and Inter.

KR Reykjavik (My girlfriends hometown club) 5-0

Rhyl (my local team) 8-0

and Swansea 3-1

I also have a plan for my career game which some may be interested in. In the 90's european football had a foreigner rule with i think 3 foreigners allowed in the squad (Finidi, Kanu, Litmanen). So I am going to try create a team with only 5 non dutch players in my ENTIRE Ajax 1 squad. Should be a challenge :p

Marz, I started with FC Bayern and struggled at first on friendlies with low teams. They had a lot of chances and obviously scored. I checked player settings I saw the settings for SW are attacking and changed them to default SW (ultra defensive) settings and also moved back the Defensive Line notches by 2. It seems like after I changed these settings eventually our defense got better.

Sorry overloaded with work, I will try and post my thoughts on Sunday (one of my hard drives has failed so might be longer).

Quick update, recent changes I have made is to lower the CF for the #7, 11, 8 & 6 to the highest normal settings (from 1st much). I did this because I did not like my teams overall possession statistic. It has also been a long term concern of mine that both the #6 & 8 passing completion rate was poor (when compared to real life); even against weaker teams.

I think I also put the Wingers back on the first attacking mentality to re-address the decrease in CF.

All these changes were made in FM2007, as I have not yet had time to start editing the FM09 data base. I'll hopefully be playing FM09 with you from mid June.:)

What edits are you making Marz?

Quick update on my test. Managed to aquire Mendes da Silva from AZ for a decent price £3.7m with some clauses and Nigel de Jong (pre patch remember) for around £9m after selling Gentenaar for £6m!!!! and Kennedy for £5m along with a few other minor sales. Now to try and raid Feyenoord's U-18 squad and reserves for the likes of Wijnaldum et al. Also am going to try and aquire most of the recent Dutch U-17 Euro runners up team.

I really want 2 out and out classic style wingers in the mould of Overmars or Hoekstra. So we'll see how that search goes HAHA.

I have also decided to eventually have a complete staff list that have some affiliation with Ajax. This i know may limit my chances of improving younger players fully, but its all about the Ajax way for this project. (I started by getting Dean Gorre as a coach).

So anyway. Now my Starting XI looks like this. Decided to use de Jong as a defensive 6 and Urby as the more attack minded 8. See how that works.

1. Stekelenberg

2. van der Wiel

3. Oleguer

4. Mendes da Silva

5. Vermaelen

6. N. de Jong

7. Suarez

8. Emanuelson

9. Huntelaar

10. Aissati

11. Sulejmani

Will keep you posted with my progress with this test game, before I start my career.

Great tactic mate. I am De Graafschap and have had some success using 442 but I wanted a bit more of a cutting edge so I gave this tactic a go - My last 6 games have gone like this

LOST 3-6 vs Roda

DREW 3-3 vs MVV (its 2011 in my game)

WIN 4-2 vs AZ

WIN 3-1 vs Willem II

WIN 3-0 vs RBC

WIN 7-1 vs Sparta

My wingers are on fire as are my central midfielders who cant stop scoring. The only change I made is that I moved the Sweeper further forward as my DC's didnt have SW abilities

OK, little more done this weekend.

Sold Oleguer for 4m and asked the board for more transfer funds so I had a grand total of 19m to spend. So before deadline day I tabled a bank breaking 10m for Ibrahim Afellay (which is still being considered at time of posting) and bids for Tom Hairej, Zuiverloon, Maduro on loan and Jonathan de Guzman (5.5m). Got 2 clubs bidding for Suarez (who i'd like to keep) and one offer for Leonardo which is 3.3m. My dutch revolution looks like its coming sooner than expected hahaha.

As for coaches I still have the majority of MVB's backroom staff with the additions of Dean Gorre and Alex Pastoor who is a staple of my FM career.

Still really need a EXCELLENT sweeper to play this system effectively but so far the possession stats are looking good and some of the football we play Arsene Wenger would be wetting his Y-Fronts watching. I altered my #6 set up to have him almost like a DM. and because its de Jong it works really well. He and da Silva get possession and spread it wide, just like Rijkaard used to. My 2&5 are man markers unless I play a team with 1 ST. Then I have da Silva do the man marking job on him freeing up my backs and sweeper. This seems to work but have only had 2 games testing that idea. Now to tweak my 9&10, my idea is to have my #10 be the main goalscorer and my #9 like a Totti-esque player. One who recieves the ball and creates for the players attacking around him. So any input on this subject will be invaluable from anyone, I use my 9 as a target man who holds up the ball and am going to lower his FWR and MENT and up my 10's to see if he runs past him.

If Afellay and de Guzman join my starting XI will be this. Obviously with no.s representing positions.

1. Stekelenberg

2. van der Wiel

3. Vermaelen

4. Mendes da Silva

5. Emanuelson

6. de Jong

7. de Guzman

8. Aissati

9. Huntelaar

10. Suarez

11. Afellay

and the search for THE sweeper continues.....

But still want to get my 4 involved more as a playmaker of sorts.

4. DM -Vertonghen (for now)

In my test game (FM9) Vertonghens’ stats are not ideal; which then affects the system. This I feel is due to where he is in his development as a player (first season with the first team).

I did however make a change myself recently and made the #4 hold up the ball again. I unchecked this option a while ago (not sure if the 3.6up version is affected), as I wanted to see the effects of the #4 with and without hold-up instruction as player maker; something for the distant future.

When attacking its like a 3-2-5

Which positions make up the players in the front 5?

I also have a plan for my career game which some may be interested in. In the 90's european football had a foreigner rule with i think 3 foreigners allowed in the squad (Finidi, Kanu, Litmanen). So I am going to try create a team with only 5 non dutch players in my ENTIRE Ajax 1 squad. Should be a challenge :p

Your mad

Marz, I started with FC Bayern and struggled at first on friendlies with low teams. They had a lot of chances and obviously scored. I checked player settings I saw the settings for SW are attacking and changed them to default SW (ultra defensive) settings and also moved back the Defensive Line notches by 2. It seems like after I changed these settings eventually our defense got better.

Did this happen in FM9 or FM7, please post your normal starting eleven. If possible also expand on where your players struggled?

Making the SW more defensive will make the defence more solid, but will weaken build-up.

What edits are you making Marz?

I still have 4 to 8 matches left with the first team (FM7 career). Six to seven matches with Young Ajax and 5 with Ajax U19s. During that time I’m going to start editing the FM9 db and test it. So I’m hoping I can play FM9 from mid June, did a quick test and 110 leagues ran pretty smooth. :D

after selling Gentenaar for £6m!!!! and Kennedy for £5m along with a few other minor sales. Now to try and raid Feyenoord's U-18 squad and reserves for the likes of Wijnaldum et al. Also am going to try and aquire most of the recent Dutch U-17 Euro runners up team.

Err who bought Gentenaar for 6 million. LOL

I think there’s a gentlemen’s agreement that Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV don’t raid each other’s youth teams. That aside, there could be problems with players gelling into the teams. But the biggest issue which I am not 100% sure on is. That the game will try to balance out talent coming from your academy with players bought. Which I feel is an integral part of the Amsterdam club.

Great tactic mate. I am De Graafschap and have had some success using 442 but I wanted a bit more of a cutting edge so I gave this tactic a go - My last 6 games have gone like this

LOST 3-6 vs Roda

DREW 3-3 vs MVV (its 2011 in my game)

WIN 4-2 vs AZ

WIN 3-1 vs Willem II

WIN 3-0 vs RBC

WIN 7-1 vs Sparta

My wingers are on fire as are my central midfielders who cant stop scoring. The only change I made is that I moved the Sweeper further forward as my DC's didnt have SW abilities

I tried this in FM7, and the problems were that the half-backs didn’t feel they needed to come inside to help the #3. And the opponents’ strikers also took advantage by just playing off the #3 with no cover.

Please let us know how you get on (I presume this is in FM9). Has anyone who plays FM9 with Ajax or another team in the higher European competitions tried this yet?

Still really need a EXCELLENT sweeper to play this system effectively but so far the possession stats are looking good

and the search for THE sweeper continues.....

What is wrong with Vermaelen as your regular starter at #3?

My 2&5 are man markers unless I play a team with 1 ST. Then I have da Silva do the man marking job on him freeing up my backs and sweeper. This seems to work but have only had 2 games testing that idea.

I’m not a big fan of using man-marking instead of zonal-marking for the #2&5. The reason is, that I think zonal-marking is more flexible. It is definitely more flexible when you are the side that is dictating play (which is the ultimate goal when using this style) and you are facing counter attacks.

...unless I play a team with 1 ST. Then I have da Silva do the man marking job on him freeing up my backs and sweeper. This seems to work but have only had 2 games testing that idea

You shouldn’t worry too much about that, as that is standard procedure; in that situation. Only thing that might affect that is, when you need goals (and are playing against a team with 1 Striker). Then the #3 should be man-marking (the lone striker) enabling your #4 to also go forward.

Now to tweak my 9&10, my idea is to have my #10 be the main goalscorer and my #9 like a Totti-esque player. One who recieves the ball and creates for the players attacking around him. So any input on this subject will be invaluable from anyone, I use my 9 as a target man who holds up the ball and am going to lower his FWR and MENT and up my 10's to see if he runs past him.

Before Ajax had Kanu and Kluivert as the Target men, they used R. De Boer (closest Totti-esque player). The key is that your midfielders #8,10,6 support this smaller striker quickly (so FWR often). Like Totti this player must have very good passing and creative stats, along with first touch etc. This player in theory won’t be able to win direct physical battles against central defenders, so he also needs to have very good tactical stats to balance this out. I’ am currently tweaking a few settings, as Huntelaar doesn’t like the physical side of things either. FWR on mixed should be fine, this then still leaves the option for a pass in behind the opponents defence. Also be aware that part of the role of the #9 is to make the pitch as long as possible. The #9 has to make space for the player in behind him; the objective is to play in the opponents half (currently have my #9 at 17 for mentality). From that high position the target man can then drop deep (mixed/rarely FWR) and play one-two’s with the supporting midfielders (3rd man principle could also come into affect).

Which positions make up the players in the front 5?

9 7 11 10 & 8- In almost a 3 FW's and 2 AM setup.

Your mad

HAHA, yes I am but its a challenge im looking forward to. So far I have Vermaelen. Vertonghen. Suarez. Lindgren & Sulejmani in my Ajax 1 squad that are non-Dutch.

Err who bought Gentenaar for 6 million. LOL

I think there’s a gentlemen’s agreement that Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV don’t raid each other’s youth teams. That aside, there could be problems with players gelling into the teams. But the biggest issue which I am not 100% sure on is. That the game will try to balance out talent coming from your academy with players bought. Which I feel is an integral part of the Amsterdam club.).

Some fools from England with more money than sense called Man City, It was something like 3.4m up front and the rest with clauses. As for the raiding. I have listened to what you have said but I couldn't resist having Luc Castaignos. So I signed him and hopefully will end up having a complete side made up of Ajax developed players in a few years. Because as you say that is the philosophy of Ajax. Creating talented youngsters into complete footballers, and this is the reason I play the game in the first place.

What is wrong with Vermaelen as your regular starter at #3?).

Nothing. He has impressed me recently and I am going to use him as my regular #3 with Mendes da Silva at #4 van der Wiel #2 and Emanuelson #5.

I’m not a big fan of using man-marking instead of zonal-marking for the #2&5. The reason is, that I think zonal-marking is more flexible. It is definitely more flexible when you are the side that is dictating play (which is the ultimate goal when using this style) and you are facing counter attacks.).

Yeah I prefer zonal myself. I just tested it for a couple of games and now I have reverted back to zonal.

Before Ajax had Kanu and Kluivert as the Target men, they used R. De Boer (closest Totti-esque player). The key is that your midfielders #8,10,6 support this smaller striker quickly (so FWR often). Like Totti this player must have very good passing and creative stats, along with first touch etc. This player in theory won’t be able to win direct physical battles against central defenders, so he also needs to have very good tactical stats to balance this out. I’ am currently tweaking a few settings, as Huntelaar doesn’t like the physical side of things either. FWR on mixed should be fine, this then still leaves the option for a pass in behind the opponents defence. Also be aware that part of the role of the #9 is to make the pitch as long as possible. The #9 has to make space for the player in behind him; the objective is to play in the opponents half (currently have my #9 at 17 for mentality). From that high position the target man can then drop deep (mixed/rarely FWR) and play one-two’s with the supporting midfielders (3rd man principle could also come into affect).

Yeah im on the search for the player I feel can do this effectively. I would prefer a guy who could do both jobs. The Physical and Technical but how many players have Totti's technical ability and Drogba's physical ones?... Zlatan maybe?... LOL

Let me know what you come up with in your tweaking Marz. I'd love to see what you can get out of the #9 and #10 using this style.

as for my #6 and #8 I want them both to be forward runners and am tweaking the system to fit this in as you say. with my proposed set up of my #9 more forward runners = more options. I currently have N. de Jong and Aissati playing in these roles. But would really enjoy seeing Aissati and Afellay playing these.

I have bid for Elia from Twente for another option out wide and really like the look of Biseswar (who is one of my fave Dutch players) so might try add him too.

Did this happen in FM9 or FM7, please post your normal starting eleven. If possible also expand on where your players struggled?

Making the SW more defensive will make the defence more solid, but will weaken build-up.

It happened in FM9 and I think I played Van Buyten on that position. I struggled with low-side teams in friendlies, in the first 4 matches my defenders let more than 7-8 goals.

9 7 11 10 & 8- In almost a 3 FW's and 2 AM setup.

The above setup of 2 wing forwards and a striker and two runners is the one I start games with too in my FM07 career game. Key as in most cases is to have a squad/team that is flexible so you can use different combinations within attack when needed; within a match itself.

HAHA, yes I am but its a challenge im looking forward to. So far I have Vermaelen. Vertonghen. Suarez. Lindgren & Sulejmani in my Ajax 1 squad that are non-Dutch.

There was an interview around the time Danny Blind started as the Director of football at Ajax. He explained that Ajax was not as dominate as in the past in terms of status in Holland. So coaches and players that in the past chose Ajax would now go to PSV, Feyenoord, etc. Added to that was the fact that other European clubs now scouted the lower age groups within Holland; removing even more talent.

Most of that is already in game (maybe the effect of European clubs not yet), so to trying to win the Champions league with a pure Dutch team + 3 foreigners is very ambitious.

I would try to scout (the Netherlands) for each age group (up to 15, 15 to 17, 17 to 19, maybe 19 to 21) and league & cup (Eredivisie, Eerste Divisie, Dutch Cup, Reserves and Under-19s). With 3 (out of 9 scouts) scouting for talent abroad, for weak positions within your first team squad (2 with a dedicated regions?).

Not sure if the game takes into account dedicated scouts though.

Must be annoying when foreigners coming through the youth academy. :D

So I signed him and hopefully will end up having a complete side made up of Ajax developed players in a few years. Because as you say that is the philosophy of Ajax. Creating talented youngsters into complete footballers, and this is the reason I play the game in the first place.

I only managed to get that far in 2 CM versions. In one of those I went through 2 or 3 generations of players I developed (15 season career game). I ‘am at the stage now in my FM07 game where the first generation are becoming first teamers.

When I start playing FM09, I ‘am looking to leave the youth and reserve team matches to the assistant managers to speed up my seasons. Has anyone seen any potential problems with the way the Ai handles those matches? In FM07 when playing with 3 DC’s the Ai would put the right footed player on the left DC and the left footer on the right DC; result poor passing.

Yeah im on the search for the player I feel can do this effectively. I would prefer a guy who could do both jobs. The Physical and Technical but how many players have Totti's technical ability and Drogba's physical ones?... Zlatan maybe?... LOL

Let me know what you come up with in your tweaking Marz. I'd love to see what you can get out of the #9 and #10 using this style.

In the first season I tend to spend more on backroom staff then on players. LOL

I had a test match, and played around with a few of the new additions in FM09. And the Ajax squad looks good in my view (apart from Miralem Sulejmani who couldn’t even speak basic Dutch :confused: ). The main problem will be, to find that #9. But an edited Miralem Sulejmani (who then speaks Dutch like he does IRL) and Suarez should be able to cope till the second season. When my world-wide scouting network will hopefully have found someone.

as for my #6 and #8 I want them both to be forward runners and am tweaking the system to fit this in as you say. with my proposed set up of my #9 more forward runners = more options. I currently have N. de Jong and Aissati playing in these roles. But would really enjoy seeing Aissati and Afellay playing these.

I have bid for Elia from Twente for another option out wide and really like the look of Biseswar (who is one of my fave Dutch players) so might try add him too.

I had a similar problem when Arouca and the backup player were injured. N. De Jong just lacks that little bit in terms of passing, finishing, long shoots and composure (2-3 attribute).

I think I will start with one creative type, probably Aissati (didn’t have finishing stats to be #10). And all-rounder of Gabri and then Enoh (FWR mixed).

At the moment I think I will start pre-season with something like this:-

SL (FWR rarely, mixed) S (FWR mixed, often) SR (FWR rarely, mixed)

MC (FWR often) MC (FWR often) MC (FWR mixed, Often)

DMC (mixed)

DL (mixed or maybe often) DR (mixed)

SW (mixed or rarely?)

GK (mixed or often?)

Hoping to pull the opponents fullbacks out from the defensive-line, so that I can create a 3 (#9,10&8) vs 2. Other situation being that the opponents will have to play very defensive. Which would enable the #6 to go on FWR often (playing in the oppositions half); if the team can control matches in the first place.

It happened in FM9 and I think I played Van Buyten on that position. I struggled with low-side teams in friendlies, in the first 4 matches my defenders let more than 7-8 goals.

Send me the pkm file please, probably the easiest way.

Marz - what staff do you keep/get rid off and who do you replace them with? It appears there is a real missing hole of dutch coaches that are any good.

In my test game I noticed that most staff at Ajax seem to have 10 to 11 as their starting attributes. I also looked at how I would organise the coaching training categories. The default setting is that all staff are assigned to all training categories.

I normally take off the fitness and goalkeeping categories; as I tend to have fitness and goalkeeping coaches. I’ am hoping this shifts some staff attributes (ability) over to the categories they are still assigned too. I' am also hoping that staff potential is more effective then it was in FM07. So I might give the coaches a season as well.

The scouting-network will be where I think I will spend most of my money. I do think having scouts who are born somewhere in the region I want to scout is a definite bonus; language and existing knowledge.

I have one more final to play with my first team. Then I’ll edit the db around Tuesday to Thursday, test on Friday/Saturday and hopefully will be able to play from Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived