What roles in the front 4 of a 4231 wide would make the striker the primary goal scorer?

I read cleons what makes a goal scorer but still I am struggling with getting my lone striker in a 4231 wide 2 cm to score a lot of goals. I use 2 wingers on support an advanced playmaker on attack and an advanced forward. Yet its been a disaster with the wingers still scoring about as many goals as my striker even with the striker on shoot more and everyone else on shoot less.

Cleon's thread would have covered this, but how are you creating space for your scorer? The wingers stay wide for the most part and the playmaker will start deep as well. You're asking your striker to take on 2/3/4 defenders. Those central defenders and DM or DMs will have no real incentive to leave their positions.

Cleon's thread would have covered this, but how are you creating space for your scorer? The wingers stay wide for the most part and the playmaker will start deep as well. You're asking your striker to take on 2/3/4 defenders. Those central defenders and DM or DMs will have no real incentive to leave their positions.

So the best bet would be to play wide and exploit the middle then use my wingers and fullbacks to run wide? Is there an article on how to create space?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still struggling to find a way to get the striker to take the most shots and score the most goals in my 4231 wide. If someone could recommend some roles for the wingers amc and striker that would be appreciated thanks. I tried 2 wingers and a targetman on attack and 2 wingers on support with advanced forward and advanced playmaker on support with no luck. Help please.

That depends really on your striker, mind giving his profile? I have had good amounts of success with an AF ahead of IFs, APs and Wa.

I have been using a rotation at the striker position. The main one is an advanced forward( 17 for finishing 14 composure 15 for pace). I am currently using a 4411 with the roles of

AF(A)

AP(S)

Wm(A) DLp(D) CM(D) Wm(A)

Wb(S) cd(D) cd(D) Wb(S)

i set the wm's to cut inside and dribble more.

standard and fluid with no team instructions. Who is the main goal scorer in this formation? Should I change the wm's to support to give the advanced forward even more goals? I just want to lead the premier league with goals scored once. Trying anything to do it.

I'm also noticing my shot dispersion is fairly wide with the wm's and ap taking as many shots as my af. Which means hes not going to lead us in scoring. So how do I get a certain position to shoot more.

I'm not an expert but heres what i think. You are playing on Fluid which means more of your players will try to contribute in attack. All and all, if your team is functioning well then keep things as they are. If your team as a whole doesn't score enough and you need your striker to take more of the goalscoring borden than consider either of those things:

1) Change shape to structured

2) Change one of your wide men to Winger on attack. He will supply crosses which your AF could reach even if he isn't great in the air. His Pace makes him a good outlet for low crosses. Also this will create more space for your AP to operate.

Again, not an expert but this is where I would start.

Archived