Suitability for Role & Duty

It's just a calculation taken from what the game considers to be important attributes for a role. You can see the attributes used by opening a player's profile and clicking on the role.

Quick questions like this are usually better off in the "Stupid Questions" thread :).

Role ability is your assistant manager's opinion of that player's ability to undertake the chosen role. That opinion is going to be based on how well your AM knows your players and the AM's own attributes such as man management, working with youngsters, judging current ability.

It's probably worth noting that not all attributes are weighted the same in the calculation. An extra point for decisions for a playmaker maybe better than 2 points for natural fitness

Does this ring true for each unique role/duty or do you mean in genera terms such as AMC for example?

If the former, would you happen to know how the attributes are weighted?

My assumption was say for DLP (D) it would be a total of first touch / passing / technique / composure / decisions / positioning / teamwork / vision / balance

So my own player Nordtvelt in my test save has 10 / 13 / 10 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 18/ 10 / 10

Therefore he would score 104 from 180 meaning his suitability is only 57%

Is this not correct?

Only the Devs at SI know what the algorithms and calculations are. More than just attributes are taken into consideration.

However, you are over thinking it. Either a) just blindly accept what the game tells you or b) use your own eyes by looking at a players' profile to determine whether you think he is suitable for the role you want or not.

Example - one of my players recently won the world player of the year award yet according to the game I have 3 other players who are better suited for the role in which I play him.

Fair point, I do indeed over analyse things, that's just my nature.

It's strange because I found two things which got me thinking about this to be honest:

1) I see a LOT of people talk about you need the players for the right roles

2) I recall Cleon saying he doesn't use that way of thinking, instead he likes players to interpret the role how they wish

I find the second one most interesting because it sort of means you could have say a DLF but you can recruit two types of players for the role.

It's very interesting, I have been guilty of flipping between the two ways of thinking, from my FM14 days, both seem to work, that's for sure.

Thanks

That's the beauty of a GAME. There are real life parallels too, look at Fellaini. He was playing further back initially but Moyes/Van Gaal have seen merits in him being a deep Targetman as well.

I regularly play Complete Forwards but there aren't many of them on the game with high suitability so often i have an empty or one/two notches of red in the suitability circle. But if i think the player can play there I play him. I've had players end with 50+ goals by doing just that. There have been some shocking ****-ups too mind you!

There is no right or wrong approach (as such). Some people can get Neuer scoring 20 goals a season as a Striker.

Hmm interesting, perhaps then to an extent that the role suitability isn't as critical as people make out?

This is interesting because then I feel this approach better enables you to establish a club identity because with roles you're more looking for attributes per role rather than a collective.

Also, this approach means that you can change tactics more as you're taking a more general view.

I do love this game, as complex as it sometimes seems, I love the way you can play it so many ways!

Exactly.

Take a Winger for example. There is a lad in Egypt in game, Fatih i think is his name. He doesn't have great Role Suitability, Star Rating or overall Attributes but his Pace, Crossing and Technique are all really high (16+) so I got him once, out and out Winger with Cross from By-line.

He got LOADS of assists and really high match ratings as a result.

You can build a philosophy based on set roles and tactical design (if you are crystal-clear on what that tactical design it). And don't forget, you can retrain positions and add/take away relevant PPM's. I think it was Rashidi that I read will train an Attacking Midfielder (for example) as a Complete Forward (or similar), just to boost certain targeted attributes and not to necessarily play him in that position/role.

There's so much you can do.

Just don't run before you can walk. I wanted to pick up a guitar when I was younger and solo like Slash, but I struggled and gave up as I didn't learn chords and scales first.

Appreciate your comments mate :)

I can play guitar but just can't get the hang of FM16 tactics haha

Although, this morning I just found this, it looks awesome just a lot to absorb, you've probably read it but if not:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/382854-The-Mentality-Ladder-A-Practical-Framework-for-Understanding-Fluidity-and-Duty

Cheers

This is an article that Cleon wrote a couple of years ago where he took a left back and turned him into a Deep Lying Forward. https://sisportscentre.com/meet-the-deep-lying-forward/

Obviously it's not saying go out and do all sorts of weird and wonderful things like turning goal keepers into Inside Forwards, the point is that player attributes are important so don't get too hung up on some calculated player role suitability.

This is an article that Cleon wrote a couple of years ago where he took a left back and turned him into a Deep Lying Forward. https://sisportscentre.com/meet-the-deep-lying-forward/

Obviously it's not saying go out and do all sorts of weird and wonderful things like turning goal keepers into Inside Forwards, the point is that player attributes are important so don't get too hung up on some calculated player role suitability.

Yeah I read this a while back, great example :)

Is Cleon still writing?

The other day under his name it said 'banned' but I can't imagine that as his articles are superb unless there was an infraction?

Now it says on hiatus

Does anyone know what's going on? Would be a shame to lose someone like him from the forums

Cleon has hung up his boots on the forum, at least for the time being anyway.

At his own request he asked for his forum id to be locked to help him avoid the temptation of constantly logging onto the forum and making comments. The only way of doing that was to "ban" his id, which is why you may have noticed it temporarily said "banned" against his name.

That's now been updated to more properly reflect what happened.

Cleon is still very much active with his other social media forays :).

Cleon had stopped writing, stopped playing and I believe stopped Modding on here. Not sure if he is starting again Herne79? His work is excellent.

There was a disagreement between content writers such as Cleon and S.I and the direction and content they wanted to go... ie, S.I wanted more concise bitesize everyman pieces as opposed to more in-depth and quality work. (I believe that's the crux of it anyway).

Cleon has hung up his boots on the forum, at least for the time being anyway.

At his own request he asked for his forum id to be locked to help him avoid the temptation of constantly logging onto the forum and making comments. The only way of doing that was to "ban" his id, which is why you may have noticed it temporarily said "banned" against his name.

That's now been updated to more properly reflect what happened.

Cleon is still very much active with his other social media forays :).

Thanks Herne, I must say since I've had more time to post on the forums in the last week or so you have been really helpful, appreciate it.

What amazes me still, is how simple things work, just then for 10 games I set up his possession tactic (one he did for Swansea) - it worked wonders, minimal TI's etc.

I'm not sure why but my brain can't seem to handle such a simple system working.

It's just when you see downloads and they have 13/14 shouts you tend to think ah so this explains the success.

What amazes me still, is how simple things work, just then for 10 games I set up his possession tactic (one he did for Swansea) - it worked wonders, minimal TI's etc.

I'm not sure why but my brain can't seem to handle such a simple system working.

It's just when you see downloads and they have 13/14 shouts you tend to think ah so this explains the success.

This is a staple of creating your own tactics and learning how to play FM with this approach. Until you know what every instruction does to your team in isolation and combination, you have to start with few or even better, none, and build them into your tactic in response to what you see

Archived