Can you manage, 'Beroe' of Stara Zagora?

Beroe of Stara Zagora (FM16)

center]

Nestled away in the interior of Bulgaria lays a city of around 150,000 residents in the city of Stara Zagora, with a multi-million dollar club PFC Beroe Stara Zagora. Originally founded around 1916, they didn't formally be known as the current club until 1959. Beroe has had a respectable history of various cup runs and successes within the top league of Bulgaria, known as the "A-League". This thread is intended to step outside the realm of the popular and exciting western European / English football, and to shed some light on just one club in particular in the eastern side of Europe.

o3fFj1A.jpg

The stadium, named after the club itself, holds a decent 13,500 fans. This might not seem like enough, but they averaged a dismal 2,400 fans per match. The stadium was built in 1959, while it's not as old as some of the other famous stadiums across Europe, it still holds high quality standards for the A-League. In addition to the stadium, the club enjoys full usage of Impressive training facilities and great youth facilities. Their youth programs is also something to take a look at, holding Good Junior Coaching and Above average youth recruitment, you might be able to spur on some new recruits using the home-grown system.

Finances

At the start of pre-season in 2016, there are roughly 20 players on the first time with an average salary of $35k p/a. One last note regarding salaries, the club's top earning player, Salim Kerkar who earns $90k p/a is out on injury for roughly 7 to 8 months. Now to look at things on a more broader approach, the club itself is in a pretty decent financial situation for the upcoming season.

You'll start with $1.43M cash and a current budget of $962k p/a. Depending on what you're able to achieve via board negotiations, you can look forward to approximately $100k in the transfer budget and about $220k in extra payroll. Now personally, I always manage my clubs with tight payroll, and I seldom take on management of clubs that are laden with debt. Beroe just happens to have zero debt moving forward!

Sponsorship income comes out to about $2.6M p/a with a majority of the deals are long term and aren't really due to expire until 2019.

Competition for Leagues & Cup

The A League is definitely smaller not only in terms of popularity and player base, but also the number of teams is 10. It sits at a competition reputation ranking of 26, just two lower than the Sky Bet Championship. In addition to playing throughout the A league season, clubs will also compete for the Bulgarian Cup. The last time Beroe won the cup was in the 2012/2013 season. In addition to enjoying these two competitions, you have the opportunity to take the club into the Euro or Champions cup depending on how well you do in the league standings. One team can qualify for the second round of the Champions cup, and three teams qualify for the Euros (First qualifying round). There is plenty to achieve with such limited resources!

The Squad & Reserves

I am no master tactician, so this small segment might not offer a lot of advice and opinion from me.

Goalkeepers

You have between Ilko Pirgov and Blagoy Makendzhiev. Pirgov is the older of the two, their stats don't deviate too much between the two. Personally I would start Makendzhiev over Pirgov. While "Blagoy" is younger and perhaps in theory less experienced, Pirgov has 15 eccentricity and loves to rush off his line with his 'rushing out' attribute at 16. So unless you enjoy deploying that sort of a keeper in your tactic, my money is still on Makendzhiev.

Defenders

There is some talent in your defense. Reigning back four could consist of all players being 6 foot 1, Zehirov, Vasilev, Ivanov & Dinkov could provide a sturdy line to build off of. Zehirov, Vasilev & Ivanov are a must have. You can also put Penev onto a left wing back to create pacey runs up the field, he has great stamina for his age with a crossing of 15.

Midfielders

This is where I really start to enjoy the current squad, you have plenty of Defensive Mid & Attacking mid capabilities depending on how you like to play. I highly recommend having Igor Djoman & Elias in front of your defense providing very decent coverage and support. They're going to be the key to a strong defense. Moving up the pitch you have even more diversity in the roles and positions.

Spas Delev is a must have on either side the wings. He is quick off the mark and shouldn't have any trouble beating his man and taking the ball down the flanks. In addition to Spas, you also have the opportunity to using someone in the AM area. Georgi Bozhilov might not have good finishing, but he does tower at 6'3 with a jumping reach of 16. Using him to spearhead any moving attacks might be a good idea?

To wrap the midfield up, you have a lot of players that I didn't mention in this short summary. There is plenty of room to work with!

Strikers

Probably the only real area that I think could use some strengthening. Stanislav Kostov is a younger player with below average striker attributes. His physicals might be okay, but don't rely on him scoring any 20 yard screamers. There are also 3 other players (Including Bozhilov) who can play in the striker role, but they're all not too impressive in the shooting / finishing areas.

So why manage this club?

Beroe may be a small club, but they have an interesting one nonetheless. Not a whole lot of money, a broad squad, and Euro / Champions Cup runs. It is also a great change of pace if you are bored of managing in the bigger clubs of Europe!

[video=youtube;TWhh-_7la5E]

Facilities & Stadium

Excellent thread, I might give these a go at some point, I remember someone doing a Litex thread that was very popular so hopefully this will do well as well.

Thank you, we'll see if this catches any interest!

Are you managing them yourself? Would be good to get some updates from you as well.

Yes I am. About 5 weeks in, progressing through the Euro qualifying rounds, currently 1-0 up against PAOK in the 2nd round. First domestic league game is coming up shortly as well. A problem I am seeing with the squad is that there are quite a few older players on the roster (30 y/o and over) so eventually you will have to find some replacements for them. But for the current season, things are shaping up nicely.

Yes I am. About 5 weeks in, progressing through the Euro qualifying rounds, currently 1-0 up against PAOK in the 2nd round. First domestic league game is coming up shortly as well. A problem I am seeing with the squad is that there are quite a few older players on the roster (30 y/o and over) so eventually you will have to find some replacements for them. But for the current season, things are shaping up nicely.

I love older squads, lets you naturally reform the team around younger players who really fit your tactics and philosophies! Will be cool to see how you shape this team over the coming seasons.

My season has been a roller coaster already. Plagued with injuries! I didn't make many moves in the transfer window, I wanted to see how the squad did without new players. Here's how we're getting on,

2hBbVvG.jpg

I have 5 players out on injury at the moment, none of them will be returning soon including a key man Ivo Ivanov. And in response to earlier comment about older players, I do have several clubs interested in Veselin Penev, a 33 y/o wing back who's contract expires at the end of this season. While he is definitely not on a big salary, I am eager to replace him with youth. Thankfully the board is very geared towards giving youth a chance, so I am starting to see a good long term strategy coming into play.

Also for those who are enjoying the wealthier TV revenue in Europe, this club generates about $8k a match from TV revenue.

Archived