NOOB: Match Rating

How are match ratings calculated, either on a minute-by-minute basis during a match, or after the final whistle? I'm finding it odd that the match ratings seem to depend so much on the actual results of plays rather than...I don't know, something else. It seems like an entire side's match rating can jump by a couple of tenths of a point when a goal is scored, for instance? Is that my imagination?

Anyway, I'm as interested in the overall question of what goes into the match rating in real life. Thanks.

• Administrators

It's done progressively as the match takes place. It doesn't update immediately after a significant event happens, but the next time the rating recalculates which I think is about every in-match minute or so.

If a team is winning, then the whole team gets a bonus to their ratings - whether they have played as well as their rating suggests or not. But then, the same thing could be said about ratings given in the newspapers/media. It shouldn't be like that, but it is.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I guess what I'm really asking is whether there's some kind of formula. E.g., for every three completed passes by a central midfielder, gain .1, for every two movement mistakes, lose .1, etc. Or, in real life if not in FM, is it sort of an, "I'm an expert football watcher, and I say he's currently playing at about a 7.1"?

• Administrators

Yeah in real life it's not all that common to rate as specifically as we do. You'd likely only have a one point scale, with some occasions using half measures. Certainly in the British press generally it's between 1-10, with most players scoring between 4 and 8. It's very rare to see anything lower than a 4 in my experience and for newspaper reports etc is done based on an overall opinion of how they've played rather than using any kind of statistical analysis.

Archived