I just lost a player midway through trying to fulfil a promise

Just wondered if there was any way around this situation I'm about to describe.

I have a midfielder (Lewis McLeod) who has been subject to numerous bids but never really had his head turned. With a year left on his contract, literally a day before I was going to offer him a new deal, he came to me saying he wants to play in the Prem. I replied saying give me this season before leaving and he agrees. I'm doing pretty well (just outside the playoffs) and have a chance of going up, however he's just agreed a deal with Rangers to sign on the 1st of July. So I'm going to lose him regardless of whether I go up which is frustrating. I mean, he's replaceable but he was a solid performer for me.

I'm guessing the only way around it would have been to offer him a new contract towards the back end of last season?

Just wondered if there was any way around this situation I'm about to describe.

I have a midfielder (Lewis McLeod) who has been subject to numerous bids but never really had his head turned. With a year left on his contract, literally a day before I was going to offer him a new deal, he came to me saying he wants to play in the Prem. I replied saying give me this season before leaving and he agrees. I'm doing pretty well (just outside the playoffs) and have a chance of going up, however he's just agreed a deal with Rangers to sign on the 1st of July. So I'm going to lose him regardless of whether I go up which is frustrating. I mean, he's replaceable but he was a solid performer for me.

I'm guessing the only way around it would have been to offer him a new contract towards the back end of last season?

Yeah, frustrating but a legitimate thing to happen. I don't a see bug here (I'm assuming he was available to approach for free period).

The "mistake" you made here was letting his contract run down.

Contact chicken is always a risky game, easier to play in England due to the 6 week rule but those overseas clubs can be an issue with their ability to mack an approach within 6 months.

Yeah, frustrating but a legitimate thing to happen. I don't a see bug here (I'm assuming he was available to approach for free period).

The "mistake" you made here was letting his contract run down.

Yeah I didn't think it was a bug, just really annoying. He'd never made any noises about wanting to leave and he's pretty loyal. It came a bit out of the blue.

What date was it when he accepted the Rangers bid?- you said he had a year left on his current deal?

He accepted the Rangers offer early in January which is when foreign clubs can start approaching players I think. I knew it was coming from about November because Rangers started showing some interest. Just frustrating and I was curious to know if there was anything I could've done other than offer him a contract earlier.

Archived