[FM2016] Alternative Scottish Leagues - 15 levels!

Having moved back to England after living in Glasgow for a couple of years, I fell in love with the country, and since I was a fan of Scottish football (despite its shortfalls) before that, I decided to have a rethink of the league system and devise my own, using all teams in Scotland that have a stadium. To that end, I have released the initial version of the database and holidayed 10+ seasons a couple of times and all has gone to plan. Everything seems to work as it should, with lots of variation. For example, in one save Celtic dominated as usual, in the second Rangers overtook them pretty quickly, in the third Hearts became regular challengers. But now I am looking for people to test the database and hopefully drag a team from the daldrums up to the Premiership.

The system is more linear rather than a pyramid (as I felt this was the best way to do it) and is very similar to the English System:

Leagues:

Professional Leagues

1.) Premiership: 20 teams, 1st qualifies for CL qualifying rounds, 2nd and 3rd go into Europa League qualifiers (although over a couple of years this does change to a more favourable system), bottom 3 relegated

2.) Championship: 24 teams, top 2 promoted, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th contest promotion playoff, bottom 3 relegated.

3.) League One: : 24 teams, top 2 promoted, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th contest promotion playoff, bottom 3 relegated.

4.) League Two: : 24 teams, top 2 promoted, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th contest promotion playoff, bottom 3 relegated.

~~~~~~~~~

Semi-Professional Leagues

5.) Gaelic Conference Premier Division: 24 teams, top 2 promoted, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th contest promotion playoff, bottom 3 relegated.

6.) Gaelic Conference Division One: 24 teams, top 2 promoted, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th contest promotion playoff, bottom 3 relegated.

7.) Gaelic Conference Division Two: 24 teams, top 2 promoted, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th contest promotion playoff, bottom 3 relegated.

8.) Gaelic Conference Division Three: 24 teams, top 2 promoted, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th contest promotion playoff, bottom 3 relegated.

~~~~~~~~~

Amateur Leagues

9.) Amateur Division One: 24 teams, top 2 promoted, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th contest promotion playoff, bottom 3 relegated.

10.) Amateur Division Two: 24 teams, top 2 promoted, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th contest promotion playoff, bottom 3 relegated.

11.) Amateur Division Three: 24 teams, top 2 promoted, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th contest promotion playoff, bottom 3 relegated.

12.) Welfare Division One: 24 teams, top 2 promoted, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th contest promotion playoff, bottom 3 relegated.

13.) Welfare Division Two: 24 teams, top 2 promoted, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th contest promotion playoff, bottom 3 relegated.

14.) Welfare Division Three: 24 teams, top 2 promoted, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th contest promotion playoff.

~~~~~~~~~

Always Amateur Leagues

15.) University Championship: 6 teams from Scottish universities, no promotion to the league, can only use players with a maximum age of 21.

Cups:

1.) Scottish Cup: Every team from all 15 leagues contests with random draws, a few smaller teams contest a qualifying round before every other team enters the first round proper. Winner earns a place in the Europa League.

2.) League Cup: To aid fixture congestion and help promote a more competitive top division, only Championship, League One and League Two teams contest this cup. Smaller teams contest a qualifying round before every other team enters the first round proper.

3.) Gaelic Cup: All Gaelic Conference, Division One, Two and Three teams contest this cup.

4.) Amateur & Welfare Cup: All Amateur and Welfare division teams contest this cup.

5.) Highland Shield: Winners of the Premiership and Scottish Cup contest this curtain raiser.

6.) University Challenge Cup: The six University teams contest this cup.

Major changes:

• All teams have had their reputations raised to match the increased profile of the Scottish leagues.
  • A large number of teams have had their Long and Short names adjusted or tweaked to better fit with the new structure.
  • All teams have a Reserve squad and U19 squad.
  • Under the new "rules", all teams above the Gaelic Conference have to be Professional, that includes Queen's Park. Their request to be moved to the Amateur league was denied, however to sweeten the deal, the league wrote off the club's debts in order to reach an agreement to keep them in the league.
  • Regens now enter clubs' youth intake at age 14, with the maximum age of 19 that they can remain on a Youth contract for.
  • As a whimsical thought of mine, the league contains one fictional team, the Gaelic Conference side Ibrox. In the same vein as FC United, they are a team set up in 2015 as a protest to the Rangers debacle and play literally across the road from Ibrox Stadium at the Ibrox Community Centre. This team has an elected president and will always be fan-owned.

Known issues (needing advice to fix if possible):

• The majority of teams in the lower levels have no players due to previously being unplayable. For now, make sure to tick the "Add players to playable teams" checkbox before starting a new game.
  • There is an issue with league names if you have downloaded files to change competition names to circumvent licencing issues. To fix this, please edit the lnc files and remove the section that changes Scottish competiton names.
  • Looking for a more reliable or consistent way for the University teams to not be able to make signing and relying on their youth system for players with players leaving when they reach 21, as would a normal university.
  • For balancing reasons, the leagues and cups have had their reputations raised, but are perhaps higher than they should be. In a future release this will likely be fixed, however for now the reps will balance themselves out after a season or two.
  • Queen's Park forever seem to be stuck with a value of 95k. Granted, in all simulations I have run they have yet to reach the Premiership, but for now this is a bug and is likely hardcoded into the game.
  • Due to the sheer number of teams that are normally unplayable and not enough staff to cover them, if you load all 15 levels the vast majority of teams below League Two are likely to be stuck without a manager permanently. Save for adding extra staff manually, I don't see a way to get around this at the moment but if anybody has advice to fix, please let me know.
  • Non-existent or defunct leagues still appear in the league reputation lists.
  • Non-existent or defunct leagues still appear in club competition histories.

Planned updates (based on feedback):

• Ensure TV rights money is fairly distributed
  • Ensure money is awarded for games shown on TV and games are moved accordingly
  • Ensure the league is sustainable for development of teams and gives scope for teams to improve and challenge (instead of one/two teams dominating)
  • Add players and managers to playable teams
  • Research into possible University teams that exist which can be added to the game and expand into the University league. Dundee College are a team in the Amateur leagues but I wasn't sure if they counted as a university and left them for now.

So there we have it, feel free to test this database and give me feedback if you like the look of it. Of course I am looking for people to test all areas, including a Celtic/Rangers save, another save from a top side to topple the Old Firm, right down to taking a League Two side or Welfare League side to the top. A lot of the lower league sides have very pleasant sounding, unique or creative names (including my personal favourite, "Uncle Bob's"), so you have lots of scope to create a top side.

Going even further, if you are looking for the Ultimate Challenge, you can take over a University side and, with their vast limitations, aim to win the Scottish Cup and subsequently a European competition...

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://1drv.ms/1QPaufg

This is exactly what I crave! I definitely will want to load up and play this file. Currently I'm engrossed in a save with the Level 23 English file, wherein I added a number of Scottish teams to see how they do. I want to continue for a few seasons to see where they find their levels vis-a-vis the English. For example, Brora, Edinburgh City and Linlithgow are dropping through the divisions like stones. When they settle I'll have a good idea of appropriate reputations for clubs and leagues that will be compatible with the English leagues.

However, I've had a good gander at your file and I'll offer some observations. The first thing I noticed on the first screen is your discipline rules. You'll have players suspended for every yellow card after the second one - ouch! You'll want to amend that.

Yes, I think the reputations are far too high. Most of your PL clubs would compete well in the Barclays Premier League. In my save with reps about 900-300 lower, Aberdeen, Hearts, ICT and Ross Co. are down in low Champ/High League One level, which I think is realistic.

In yours, the likes of East Stirling and Brora would be challenging for promotion from SkyBet League One with reps significantly higher than Coventry City (nb what have you against the Blue Brazil - Cowdenbeath with a lower rep than E Stirling?? SI are also too brutal on Fort William, hapless though they are, so I tweak a few reps myself). I've got E Stirling on a par with the likes of Brora, Spartans, Linlithgow and all at the level of Vanarama National North/South.

Overall, I'd assess your reputations from level 1 to 14 as on average about 500 too high at the amateur level, up to c.600-800 too high at professional level, with anomalies such as East Stirlingshire which is a whopping 2650 points lower in the SI database.

I'll want to use your file alongside an English LL one so I'll be tweaking reps accordingly. I imagine a few gamers will want to play Eng/Scot files together. What is your reson for upping the reps? Is it for European qualification? Personally as I always start at the lowest level I never ever get anywhere near that goal.

Actually there's probably 100 more wee amateur clubs in the database that you could include to extend the levels - the likes of Loch Ness, Kinlochbervie, Gairloch, Plockton and Kyle. I'll extend your file down to match the English 23 levels for private use anyway. At the very bottom I add real teams personal to me like Rothesay Brandanes and fantasy ones like Drumnadrochit, Tyndrum, Mallaig, Jura, Islay, Tiree, Gigha and Brodick. At that point reputations would have to be 1. That's where I'd start my career!

Quite like the look of this one,seems like a fair challenge.Will definetely be giving it a go with one of the lesser known teams.Kits and logos would also be good though if anyone could shed any light on these?

Will post up here again soon.

Quite like the look of this one,seems like a fair challenge.Will definetely be giving it a go with one of the lesser known teams.Kits and logos would also be good though if anyone could shed any light on these?

Will post up here again soon.

Thank you! I've made a few tweaks to the database if you want to try an updated version?

Can you tell us what kind of tweaks? I've made a load re rep and am running a holiday game now, ready to start a real one later this morning.

Can you also explain more fully what to delete so that the competition names show up correctly (ie with the susie fix)?

I haven't tweaked the reps myself but I've reorganised some of the league and cup fixtures as an error meant that sometimes the Highland Shield was being played a few months into the season. ALso if you go into the lnc folder and edit the "Competitions and other fixes" file, do a CTRL-F for Scotland and delete that entire section.

I haven't tweaked the reps myself but I've reorganised some of the league and cup fixtures as an error meant that sometimes the Highland Shield was being played a few months into the season. ALso if you go into the lnc folder and edit the "Competitions and other fixes" file, do a CTRL-F for Scotland and delete that entire section.

Cheers mate, I've done that :thup:

Being in Level 14, I won't be too troubled by the date of the Shield for a few decades yet!

Right, the files works with DanBHTFC's English L23 file which I'll run in conjunction with this one although I'm staying with one club. I've created a club, Skye Thistle, to start in Welfare Div 3 with the absolute minimum facilities and lowest rep, so we're predicted to finish dead last! My plan is to use the hapless numpties I inherit and supplement only with Gaelic-speaking kids coming through Skye's Gaelic College youth academy - no transfers in, ever!

The problem is that as amateurs, any player who shows promise will simply up and leave, so to retain them I'm going to have to have the nutty chairman (the one who's founded the secondary school feeder into the Gaelic College) turn the club professional and give the staff and players 5 quid a week expenses. Other than that, no sugar, no daddy, no money, no anything.

Here's the next intake in waiting (okay, this is Skye in Australia, but ye ken....):

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.476008165905381.1073742011.215018162004384&type=3

:D:brock:

Cheers mate, I've done that :thup:

Being in Level 14, I won't be too troubled by the date of the Shield for a few decades yet!

Right, the files works with DanBHTFC's English L23 file which I'll run in conjunction with this one although I'm staying with one club. I've created a club, Skye Thistle, to start in Welfare Div 3 with the absolute minimum facilities and lowest rep, so we're predicted to finish dead last! My plan is to use the hapless numpties I inherit and supplement only with Gaelic-speaking kids coming through Skye's Gaelic College youth academy - no transfers in, ever!

The problem is that as amateurs, any player who shows promise will simply up and leave, so to retain them I'm going to have to have the nutty chairman (the one who's founded the secondary school feeder into the Gaelic College) turn the club professional and give the staff and players 5 quid a week expenses. Other than that, no sugar, no daddy, no money, no anything.

Here's the next intake in waiting (okay, this is Skye in Australia, but ye ken....):

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.476008165905381.1073742011.215018162004384&type=3

:D:brock:

Sounds fantastic! Make sure to keep me up to date with your progress and how the other leagues are progressing :) It's going to be a tough ladder to climb but I think it will be worth it in the end :)

I can do that if you like although I think most posters don't want to read about campaigns where there's been editorial tampering.

The stadium is Sabhal Mòr Ostaig, located in Port Righ. I've stocked my squad with 22 hapless 14-15 year olds, most born in Port Righ and all fluent Gaelic speakers.

CA/PA all 0, and given the rep of the division and club this is going to be brutal. I did a trial run with normal-aged players yesterday and their CAs were all in single figures with many at 1. The other squads in the division are mostly little better, with one or two players nudging into double figures except one team which has a high of 44 and many top players.

The really cheaty bit is that I've got them on 20-year contracts with 'will leave at the end of the contract' ticked, which I believe means they won't leave for another club (also means I can't afford the compensation if they're useless troublemakers). Hope they're happy with their 10 quid pocket money.

Well I've done a one-season holiday just to see how things pan out before starting my career for real.

We were poddling along in lower mid-table for most of the season before putting in a late surge and finishing 8th, just missing the play-offs. I guess with my micro-managing, tactics and substitutions I ought to be able to add to that and get us promoted. Or perhaps I'll be worse than the proverbial blind monkey.

Elsewhere, in the SPL Celtic won by a canter but Ross Co pipped Aberdeen for 2nd. Dumbarton won the Champers. I put your universities in the mainstream leagues with competitive reputations but hey all struggled and most got relegated - I suspect the age limits is a killer.

In England Man City stormed the EPL with Tottenham a distant second. Right, now to start for real ...

Edit: I added Gaelic as a language - in the editor language > add :)

Well I've done a one-season holiday just to see how things pan out before starting my career for real.

We were poddling along in lower mid-table for most of the season before putting in a late surge and finishing 8th, just missing the play-offs. I guess with my micro-managing, tactics and substitutions I ought to be able to add to that and get us promoted. Or perhaps I'll be worse than the proverbial blind monkey.

Elsewhere, in the SPL Celtic won by a canter but Ross Co pipped Aberdeen for 2nd. Dumbarton won the Champers. I put your universities in the mainstream leagues with competitive reputations but hey all struggled and most got relegated - I suspect the age limits is a killer.

In England Man City stormed the EPL with Tottenham a distant second. Right, now to start for real ...

Edit: I added Gaelic as a language - in the editor language > add :)

Ok its that simple then lol

• 2 weeks later...

Has this thread gone dead? Alex, I'm into my second season and loving this save!

Just a couple of minor issues - the lads didn't get an end-of-season break. They don't seem much the worse for it though. Also, my club and all the others in my division (Welfare Division 2) got massive reputation boosts in the second season. I haven't checked to see the full extent. I did downgrade all club reps so maybe they've been restored to your values, I don't know. If I end up beating a Premiership side in the cup, I'll know there's a problem!

Haha I hope not, I would love for more people to play it! I'm playing as Celtic in the database myself (in a scenario with an Indian tycoon takeover, trying to make the club profitable and develop Indian players at the top level). I might make a few posts detailing my progress.

I noticed the lack of end-of-season break too, which is confusing as the new season isn't set to start until 1st July in the database from what I recall. However like you, I haven't found any detrimental effects and it allows for lots more training during the off-period as well as lots and lots of friendlies to integrate any new signings.

• 4 months later...
Thank you! I've made a few tweaks to the database if you want to try an updated version?

Forgot all about this one,yeah if you have the updated file i'll give it a bash,as i think the original link as others have stated is dead unfortunately :(

Archived