MLS contract

I have just started a MLS game for the first time and am confused by the contract setup. I have just tried to make a signing but it was cancelled because there cannot be more than 2 non-young designated players in the squad. I have checked my squad page and the only DP I have is Jermaine Jones. Is there a way of seeing who these players are so I can decide to get rid of one?

I have looked on the registration page and it says I have only 1 DP and 1 non-young DP yet the transfer gets cancelled because I cannot have more than 2, which if I'm reading it correct, I don't??

that's what I presumed. In the registration page it says I can have a max of 3 but currently only have 1 so I don't understand why the transfer was cancelled? The fact it cited the max 2 non-young DPs made me assume it was something to do with age.

jerry bengtson is a DP who is on a year long loan to a team in Argentina for the Revs. You will have to get rid of Jerry if you want another DP. The most DPs a team in MLS can have are 3 at once. The Revs only have 2. You should be able to buy another DP spot but I never figured out how to when I played as the Revolution.

jerry bengtson is a DP who is on a year long loan to a team in Argentina for the Revs. You will have to get rid of Jerry if you want another DP. The most DPs a team in MLS can have are 3 at once. The Revs only have 2. You should be able to buy another DP spot but I never figured out how to when I played as the Revolution.

Thanks FCA. I've looked and he's there on loan until end of Argentine season and can't be recalled. Guess I'll just have to wait

Thanks FCA. I've looked and he's there on loan until end of Argentine season and can't be recalled. Guess I'll just have to wait

No problem they are my favorite real life club so I have plenty of knowledge of the revs, if anything else comes up.

No problem they are my favorite real life club so I have plenty of knowledge of the revs, if anything else comes up.

I've also thought about playing with them as went to Gillette Stadium once for a Pats game and started following both New England teams from then on!! They seem to have a lot of average players in the squad which takes a lot of working to get rid of them and replace. I can't see how I can get another DP slot from other teams, not an option when I try to make a trade.

So far I've bought Seth Sinovic in as LB to allow option of using Tierney as LM. Using 4-1-3-2 which seems to be best fit at the moment with Knighton-Alston, Goncalves, Soares, Sinovic-Jones-Rowe, Nguyen, Tierney-Davies, Fagundez.

Struggling to find best role for Jones as DM.

I just happen to be managing New England as well :D

Although it is several years in the future.

By 4132 do you mean DM/MC/MC/MC? as that happens to be what I'm mostly using as well as the coincidences continue. I've been using a halfback at DM with attacking fullbacks to give width.

I just happen to be managing New England as well :D

Although it is several years in the future.

By 4132 do you mean DM/MC/MC/MC? as that happens to be what I'm mostly using as well as the coincidences continue. I've been using a halfback at DM with attacking fullbacks to give width.

no I'm playing with wide midfielders. Thinking 4.4.2 with a narrow diamond might better suit the players there are at the club. I find the defence the poorest part of the club and need major investment.

I remember seeing somewhere a breakdown of what each draft pick was worth. Can someone point me in the right direction. I want to make sure I'm getting the best deal when trading players or allocations.

Can't remember seeing one, would be interested but from my own save experience.

I don't tend to trade first team players with other MLS clubs unless I want rid of the player or they are unhappy. I've sold a few 20-25yos to European/South American clubs to keep the finances in good condition (Maybe say one a season and it tends to be those that angle for moves to bigger leagues/clubs).

I do trade rotation/fringe players if I have a replacement or can get one, I generally aim for one 1st round pick & one 2nd round pick (Superdraft), sometimes you can get two first round picks (different years) or maybe a little extra money. Best I've done is two 1st round & one 2nd round picks for a established MLS high rep rotation player.

For backup players I tend to be just offered Supplemental draft picks which are pretty much useless so I only ever really use them if I want rid of a player.

The trade I keep getting is Steve Neumann and Andy Dorman for 180k and NYCFC 1st round superdraft. Trying to get rid of Darrius Barnes and Steve McCarthy for better quality centre backs but struggling at the moment.

Check out the Estimated Trade Values page which can be found under Transfers on the MLS competition page. It gives some helpful value estimates

That's what I was looking for!! Thanks very much, knew I had seen it somewhere.

On the squad registration form it says I can have a max of 3 DPs, how can I get the third one?

You already have three don't you? Two in your squad and one out on loan?

In which case you would need to sell one of them or release him when his contract expires to free up the slot.

You already have three don't you? Two in your squad and one out on loan?

In which case you would need to sell one of them or release him when his contract expires to free up the slot.

As far as I can see I have Jermaine Jones in my squad and Jerry Bengtson out on loan. Who do you think the other one is?

As far as I can see I have Jermaine Jones in my squad and Jerry Bengtson out on loan. Who do you think the other one is?

Maybe I was mistaken :confused:

Go to the squad registration plage and those players with "DP" in the status are the players. Some might have a variant like "DPI" which means they count as a "DP" and as an International player.

So I've uploaded a photo of my squad registration page which shows only 1 DP (Jermaine Jones).

http://s288.photobucket.com/user/jimmyt1986/media/FM/2015-04-07_00001_zpsptkp8eh2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

I have also uploaded a photo of my transfer being cancelled because of the max 2 non-young DPs.

http://s288.photobucket.com/user/jimmyt1986/media/FM/2015-04-07_00002_zpswt1ux6bs.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Bengtson isn't in my squad but as the only other DP I have I presume his presence is stopping my signing. Is this right because it seems weird he's out on loan so not in my squad when registration is concerned but is in my squad when a new signing is concerned.

Yes your squad reg page is only showing one DP player so I don't see any problem there.

That makes the transfer look odd and seems to be wrong.

My best guess is its either a straight up bug and/or its something to do with the MLS season running Feb-Nov whereas FM starts in June/July in which case it should correct itself for the 2015 season.

I would stick it in the bugs forum and let SI have a closer look at it.

I've also thought about playing with them as went to Gillette Stadium once for a Pats game and started following both New England teams from then on!! They seem to have a lot of average players in the squad which takes a lot of working to get rid of them and replace. I can't see how I can get another DP slot from other teams, not an option when I try to make a trade.

So far I've bought Seth Sinovic in as LB to allow option of using Tierney as LM. Using 4-1-3-2 which seems to be best fit at the moment with Knighton-Alston, Goncalves, Soares, Sinovic-Jones-Rowe, Nguyen, Tierney-Davies, Fagundez.

Struggling to find best role for Jones as DM.

Bobby Shuttleworth is the starting keeper in real life. Fagundez is a great young player to build around, Lee Nguyen was runner up for MVP last year pretty much carried the team to the MLS Cup last year with Jones. Our defense is our weakest point, Farrell was a #1 overall pick a couple drafts ago but isn't highly rated in FM. I like Sinovic, he was drafted by the Revs originally and was released, caught on with KC and has done really well.

Build around the midfield, upgrade at forward and defense. Juan Agudelo is a good free signing who the Revs resigned this year in real life.

So I've uploaded a photo of my squad registration page which shows only 1 DP (Jermaine Jones).

http://s288.photobucket.com/user/jimmyt1986/media/FM/2015-04-07_00001_zpsptkp8eh2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

I have also uploaded a photo of my transfer being cancelled because of the max 2 non-young DPs.

http://s288.photobucket.com/user/jimmyt1986/media/FM/2015-04-07_00002_zpswt1ux6bs.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Bengtson isn't in my squad but as the only other DP I have I presume his presence is stopping my signing. Is this right because it seems weird he's out on loan so not in my squad when registration is concerned but is in my squad when a new signing is concerned.

Bengtson counts as a DP even out on loan. So you have two DPs, Bengtson and Jones.

I managed Toronto FC late last year. I retained an attorney on staff who was an expert in contract law. It was the only way I could keep up with the contract system.

It was a fun but complicated game. I struggled to a playoff spot but our form had a meteoric rise in the playoffs and we ended up winning the MLS cup crushing many teams on the way.

This was before the winter transfer update and Jermaine Defoe was a league wrecking ball. 33 goals and he was healthy the entire year. He even played well enough to earn a few caps with England!!!

Michael Bradley was good when he played but had lots of moderate injuries.

I also brought in Michael Essien whom I have always liked. He played very well, but injuries and red cards lowered his productive output. He had a cheap contract however.

All in all, the MLS is a fun but wild place to manage. I do love the draft system however. Very odd but adds some flavor to the league. I have seen a lot of Brazilian-American regens be drafted. Some of them Have world class PAs.

Pow anyone else seeing this? In future years the US national team could become quite good with their dual citizen wonder kids.

In the end I had my fun in MLS but I resigned and moved my manager to Europe.

Archived