Is there anything specific you need to do to build up certain attributes as a manager?

For example.

I've been a manager for 5 in game years. I started off with "2- working with youngsters" and "4-discipline" each team I've been with has had a sign youngsters policy and for about 4 months, I was even the manager of the South Korea U19s. 5 years later my WWY is now 1.

With regards to my low discipline levels, I expected to have issues with players not respecting me but every time they did I always made sure to remind them who was in charge and fined them when they were out of line but 5 years later my discipline level is still 5.

Is there something else I'm supposed to be doing to get these numbers up?

I've got my Continental B license and currently learning my A, I've worked in 4 Japan, Korea, The Congo and now Gibraltar, fluent in 4 languages but my Adaptability is still listed as 1. What else do I need to do to get that number up?

Is there a list of actions I need to do (outside of licenses) to get my stats up?

My mental stats are going through the roof, I assume it's because I'm always calm when I speak to people and never get involved with media tit-for-tat nonsense (either that or the licenses always go to into my mental points)

Long story short, what do I need to get my adaptability,WWY, determination and discipline up?

I don't really focus on attributes to be honest and i'm quite new to the game so forgive me if i'm wrong, but here's what I would guess as to how they work

Last year I had a career at Exeter. After a few seasons with them my Youth Coaching stat was pretty high (In and around the 12-15 mark). I think it's more a case of how you actually look after them. It's all very well filling your club with youngsters, or even coaching a team of U19's, but it's what you do with those experiences that counts. Again going back to Exeter, I actually didn't sign many young players, but I paid very close and careful attention to the one's I had. I joined Exeter when they were in the conference, and all their attacking midfielders were old players or loanees. In the space of 2 seasons my AML/C/R are all products of my U21's, all regens that were just sat there rotting in the reserves when I joined the club. Because I was willing to take them under my wing, give them good coaching and give them the experience they needed in the first team, they were in rotation roles in the year we won promotion, and in our first season back in the Football League they're all first-team regulars.

I put my high stat down to the fact that I paid very close and careful attention to the Hot Prospects i already had rather than going out and signing an army of teenagers to fill up my wage budget. I imagine this philosophy could be applied to all your stats you'd like to improve. It's not about how much emphasis you put on it, it's about how good of a job you do.

I assumed signing youngsters and having them in the first team would have been enough to either get me some time with youngsters or at the very least not decrease it from 2 to 1.

How well are they performing? After all it's very easy to take a gamble on youth and have it backfire (IRL example, Hector Bellerin's debut against Dortmund in the UCL).

Like I said, I didn't chuck the youth into the first team. But I let them have some starts in the FA Trophy, and together they got us to the final and won it. As their performances there were improving i started to integrate them into the first team, and adjusted their training so I could mould them into the player that I wanted them to be. One such player was a regen called Dan Woodhouse. His performances at AM in the cup were outstanding, despite only being 19 and barely creeping into the gold stars on his current ability. As he was playing so well, I used him as a regular super sub in the league, and started training him up to be fluent as a Shadow Striker. Aged 21 he's grown fantastically and absolutely owns the AMC spot in the first team. I never want him to leave!

Without any hard evidence it's really hard to know for sure what the issue is. Do you have any example players that you could tell us about? If you give us screenshots of someones coaching report and their recent season performances, it'd give me a much better picture of how you've been using him. Sometimes letting a teenager run around in the first team can actually be bad for a player. If he has a poor game his morale will sink and you've got a real issue. It's the way you handle those situations that could be the difference. But please don't take my word as fact. I'm simply telling you what I did, because my Youth stats are fairly good. My idea of this might not be 100% accurate. I'm simply telling you what my hunch is and asking if my comments seem fair to you.

I have 3 of them in my starting line.

And a few of them in my subs.

My youth team aren't that great because the board refuses to invest in it (they'd rather I bought young rather than grow them)

As of right now, I only have 3 okay-ish youth team peeps who I'm trying to loan out but no one wants them.

Well it's a start at least.

Not finding loans is a pain. I've had the same problems. So if you can't offload them, do what you can close to home. Take a look at their stats, and also your coaches opinion of what they're good at. You might find that the role they're used to doesn't really compliment them, or in some other way find an underlying issue in their training. Give them game time in this new role when you can (though don't just throw them in, wait for a cup game or a time when perhaps another player needs a rest, then let them go).

In fact, if you have a youth team, tell your U21/Reserves Manager what to do. They can always get accustomed to their new role in youth team games, as long as your Youth Manager uses the player properly. Then ask for a coaching report and see how they go. That's all it takes. See where you are in a few months. You may well get an excited email from your head coach telling you how great they're doing. It's this kind of coaching that can make all the difference.

A couple of examples from the real world of how effective this can be. Thierry Henry was originally a Winger, and was a Juventus reject. Wenger brought him to Arsenal, made him a striker, and Henry became the clubs record scorer. Wenger also did this with Kolo Toure, who actually started life as a fullback. Toure's first full season as a Centre-Half was actually the legendary invincible's season. Sometimes a player is just given the wrong education, but a simple change of tack can turn a good player into a great one.

My team is really cheap (in Gibraltar) They won't even invest in training even though it's currently listed as "poor".

They don't have a youth team of any kind and the reserves next to never have any games. I'm constantly setting up as many friendlies as I can to get everyone games. But my players still moan about the lack of matches, my door is currently revolving with everyone complaining about a lack of matches and failing to turn up to training as well. (hence my lack of Discipline)

Is there a reserves league you could enter them into? I've never managed in Gibraltar so i'm not familiar with the set up.

Depending on how busy your schedule is, if you get a free week, why not schedule a first team friendly to get the substitutes some match fitness. If you tell them that this is there chance to impress you, then you never know. Someone might surprise you,

As for training facilities. I wouldn't worry too much given your financial state. You can still do all these things. You might not get quite the same potential out of a player as with a big club, but then you shouldn't really expect to. In Football Manger, as in real life, you just have to make do with what you've got. Just look after the boys as best you can and you can still improve both the club and your character.

As for not turning up to training, use an iron fist. Players are cheap and there's plenty of replacements at that level. If a player mucks you about, don't stand for it. Throw him out onto his ear and look for a replacement. With maintaining discipline, you do have to be harsh with people. If a player fails to show up for training, and you sack him, the other players are given a warning not to mess with you. It's the only way when you have a group of misfits. I've always used this approach and built an in-game reputation as being no-nonsense, and now no matter where i manage, disciplinary issues are rare and never last long, because the players know not to get on my bad side. Being strict and vigilant in handing out punishment should see your discipline levels improve, even to the point where you can employ hard-tackling tactics and get away with it.

I thought about sacking people but doing so means a payout doesn't it?

Right now the club has about 300k in the bank but I want that money for facilities, not for paying off people.

atm, I fine people 2 weeks' wages but they say sorry and in a month's time it happens again.

The last guy that did it, I fired him after 3 times, should I just jump straight to firing people?

Maybe not jump to it no. But be strict. And think of it this way. You don't have to turn someone away immediately. You can tell someone that they're not wanted, put them in reserves then list them for loan/transfer. The effect is the same. The other option is to offer mutual termination, where the penalty for kicking someone out isn't so harsh.

You need to play it by ear a bit. You shouldn't have to put up with players being grumpy, but at the same time you don't want to be too quick to judge as that can cause even more problems, especially if the player in question is popular at the club. It's a very fine line, and one you will probably overstep now and again. But once you get the hang of it you'll reap the rewards. Depending on how long this has been going on with your Gibraltan club it may be slightly to late to wrestle back FULL control of the team; at least in the short term. But if you can cut it down so missing training is a rare occurrence... That's better than nothing right?

Certainly if you ever move on, that gives a perfect opportunity to see what I mean (not saying that you should move on obviously. I'd stick with them for now. It's good practice if nothing else for how to handle such extreme circumstances). But if you start another career, or leave Gibraltar to ply your trade elsewhere, you'll find this much easier to do. You'll try and keep people happy, but someone will have a paddy eventually. You put your foot down, they take a back seat, and such problems shouldn't bother you again, or at least, not very often.

So some rules to follow:

>Harsh, but fair.

>Fining is good for first and second offences, but anything more and you should seriously consider other options.

>There's more than one way to get rid of them! Don't feel like they have to go immediately. I've had a situation at Fleetwood where my Captain got grumpy when i fined him for getting a red card (it was a second red in successive games, and i'd given him a warning the first time). I explained to the rest of the team I wasn't going to let my team be jeopardized, and when the captain started shouting in my ear about it I transfer listed him. A couple of months later, the rest of the squad had forgotten the issue and the Captain stopped being grumpy. I spoke to him, took him off the transfer list, and he's back to being captain and has played every game since, suspension free. Sometimes, just threatening to kick them out it all it takes.

Hope these tactics help you in your future ventures! sounds like you've got quite a handful.

According to some posts on here the Working With Youngsters attribute is increased by fielding players who have come through your academy (rather than bought youth players) and Level of Discipline is increased through fining players (don't know if you have to fine players every chance you get, or just correctly fine players?)

Though after 10 years, 500 games, having all coaching badges and a World Class Reputation my Adaptibility, Determination, Working With Youngsters and Level of Discipline have yet to increase - they are all one apart from LoD which is two, whilst Player Knowledge has gone from 7 to 18, Youngster Knowledge 7 to 13, Motivating 4 to 12, but Man Management only 4 to 7.

Sorry to bump this but I'm am getting annoyed with the players demanding game time all the time. My discipline level is stuck at 4 even though I fine people all the time. literally every week a new player comes up and say they aren't getting enough games. I've had one guy come up to me LITTERALLY after the first game of the season. and another guy coming up to me even though according to his stats, he's played in 60% of the matches we've had.

In the space of 1 week I had 3 different players come to me to ask for more matches. and each time we had to go the whole press conference nonsense. It's really infuriating.

Archived