Defensive set pieces

I'm looking for advice on how to set up my defensive set pieces (corners and free kicks). I've come to the point where I'm in complete control of my games, but fairly often fail to finish my chances and get hit in the face when someone lets his man go awol on a freekick or a corner.

I'm not sure if my tactical setup is of any use. I am a bit lacking in the jumping department though, so a zonal setup would probably be best.

I generally take the full backs off the post and get the best header of the two to mark the 6 yard box. Put a player on the edge of the area and two pacey players to stay up front. You'll still concede some goals from corners but it at least stops the annoying ping pong around your box that can often come from a corner and inevitably end in a scrambled goal. Similarly with free kicks I try and keep a player forward so if we clear it it doesn't come straight back.

For corners, i have had success with 5 zonal (Back 4 plus my striker, because he is generally decent in the air), 3 Man mark (usually my central midfield 3), one edge of the area and one stay forward (my fast wide men).

I find that generally i come in well better than average in avoiding goals from corners.

Free kicks, i have not yet worked out..........

• 2 weeks later...
I generally take the full backs off the post and get the best header of the two to mark the 6 yard box. Put a player on the edge of the area and two pacey players to stay up front. You'll still concede some goals from corners but it at least stops the annoying ping pong around your box that can often come from a corner and inevitably end in a scrambled goal. Similarly with free kicks I try and keep a player forward so if we clear it it doesn't come straight back.

Is this still working for you after the recent update?

For corners, i have had success with 5 zonal (Back 4 plus my striker, because he is generally decent in the air), 3 Man mark (usually my central midfield 3), one edge of the area and one stay forward (my fast wide men).

I find that generally i come in well better than average in avoiding goals from corners.

When you pick man mark, who do they mark? What's the difference between 3 man mark and zonal mark for the other 5 players?

When you pick man mark, who do they mark? What's the difference between 3 man mark and zonal mark for the other 5 players?

To the first part, i dont believe it is "fixed" - They will mark the 3 tallest players i believe. As for the second part, unless i am misunderstanding your question then its fairly obvious? The 3 mark players man for man, and the 5 stand in a line on the edge of the 6 yard box.

I will see if i can grab a screenshot of a defensive corner at some point shortly to show how the players line up. It conceded 2 goals from corners for me in a full EPL season which i am fine with.

To the first part, i dont believe it is "fixed" - They will mark the 3 tallest players i believe. As for the second part, unless i am misunderstanding your question then its fairly obvious? The 3 mark players man for man, and the 5 stand in a line on the edge of the 6 yard box.

I will see if i can grab a screenshot of a defensive corner at some point shortly to show how the players line up. It conceded 2 goals from corners for me in a full EPL season which i am fine with.

I've been using your defensive set piece tactic with great success!! :)

What do you do for offensive set piece?

• 1 month later...

I've just finished a season where I conceded a ridiculous amount of goals from free kicks being parried by my keeper, then no one reacted from my team and the opposition got a tap in. Haven't had chance to try this yet but even though players on posts for corners seem mostly redundant I'm gonna try it for free kicks, hoping they'll naturally go to the ball when it's free around the goal line.

Hopefully it'll work!

Unfortunately that one is a known bug i think, slightly wider than just set pieces. There is still a bit of an issue where keepers in particular do not react to rebounds either from parries or woodwork. It is much better than on earlier patches but it still happens and not a lot you can do sadly.

Archived