Reactive Management

I see a lot of threads about "this is the best tactic", "I used this tactic for a whole year and won everything", etc. etc.

Does anyone ever tailor their tactics to the opposition? Play a certain way against a certain opponent? Does it work?

I feel there isn't enough information about the opponent, nor enough scope to adjust your own system within FMH to manage this way, and it's something that's really lacking from the game.

Is it necessary to play Full-Fat Football Manager to get this kind of experience?

In short yes, or at least FMC.

When I play FMC, I not necessarily react to opponents before the game, but I do adjust shouts or mentality in-game.

When I play FMH: as a FMH veteran, I have loads of quality tactics so I just pick one and stay with it for 15 seasons until I get bored of the save. (Yes 15 years the same tactic, never had a problem with playing that way. If the tactic stops working, it just means it isn't good enough ;) )

In FMC I win about 60-65% of my games, in FMH 70.

Edit: just to say that I agree that FMH is far too limited to adapt to your opponents.

• SI Staff

What improvements would you find helpful in this area? Personally when I have an inferior squad for the division I am playing in I tend to manage more reactively and do find it quite a successful strategy.

Just in terms of suggestions for the Next Match page, i would like to see all of the opposition tactical information, ie Team Mentality, Passing Style, Tackling, Pressing, Offside Trap etc etc.

Currently we only see Style of Play.

If I had more information I would tinker my own tactics. For example, if we play a team that press, I would switch my passing to a more direct style so we don't get caught in possession at the back. Or if the oppostion are playing the Offisde Trap, I would ask my forwards to play on the shoulder of the defenders by selecting them as poachers.

Another idea might be you get the standard information as you do now, unless you choose an option to scout the opposition. If you scout upcoming opposition you get all of the above tactical information.

At the moment i do zero tinkering between games. The only change i might make on a game to game basis would be to select Attacking Team Mentality against smaller teams at home, and Balanced the rest of the time.

The AI frequently changes tactics/mentality/style during a match. I have tried to keep up and react accordingly, but when playing on the highest speed you are not always notified of the AI's changes. I found myself constantly tapping the button to see what my opponents were doing, so often that it ruined the fun. I then decided to just stick with my tactic unless things are going really wrong (like 0-3 down or something), and that works too.

Archived