Unable to expand or build new ground? (Going on 6+ seasons.)

I've been managing Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga from 13/14 through 20/21. Immediately after taking over, I requested that the board expand the stadium. They did so in that first season, adding under 2k to the capacity for an even 32,000 spots in the stadium.

In the past 6+ seasons, however, I've not once had the option whilst interacting with the board to Build New ground, Expand ground, Buy ground or Relay Field. They've been greyed out for the duration.

This is a little frustrating, as my side has won the Bundesliga in 4 of the last 6 seasons, and regularly penetrates deep into the Champions League...but we're among the bottom third of the Bundesliga in stadium capacity (so limiting that revenue stream).

Is this a bug? Or is it working as designed, subject to some hidden logic that I'm unaware of?

Alex:

Expand ground: Ground is at the expansion capacity

Build New ground: The club believes that another new ground should not be built at this time.

Andehlson: thank you. It appears you are correct re. the capacity (per the pop-up message).

I was unaware that there is a 20-year wait before a new stadium is an option.

This isn't a major complaint - just strikes me as a bit strange. The club is swimming in money, has ascended to the elite clubs in Europe, and yet there is no mechanism to expand/build a ground more suited to their new stature. On the other hand, I suppose it's entirely rational for the board to think "this brilliant lad has us near the top of European football, we've got a quality side and are bringing in record profits, no reason to invest in a new stadium when the current one is but 11 years old."

On the other hand, I wonder about the rationale behind precluding stadium expansion beyond a given - and in this case, very modest - point.

I'm wondering if the wait between new stadia has been extended to 25 years for FM14.

Has anyone seen one announced with a gap of less than 25 years?

I thought that two.

In my Cambridge save i was maxing out my 34,500 stadium for a full 16 years. Gone from League One to triple Champions League winner and as soon as the 20 years was up expected a new stadium. Another four years passed and nothing at all about a new stadium then i retired.

I've tested a bit but couldn't find anything 100% certain.

The option to ask the board shows up after 20 years. However for 1 club the board constantly rejected to build a new stadium until 25 years had passed. (they rejected my request after 20,21,22,23 and 24 and accepted in the 25th)

But the other club I got the board to accept it after 20. The problem is that the local council rejects it 2 weeks later.

I don't think the 20 year rule applies to stadia already built and in use before the game starts, as I was managing Enfield Town, whose stadium in the DB was built in 2011, and we got a new stadium in game which we moved into in 2017.

I had to wait 20 years to request a stadium with Falkirk. Their stadium was built in 2004.

Archived