Monaco

Not sure if it's a bug...

There's a bunch of players that they have signed for millions and then release them for free and they have re-signed some players back for millions... Why would they not offer a new contract? surely it would have been cheaper with a new contract than release for free and re-signed.

I got a couple free transfers from Monaco and have re-sold those players for 25 million plus after a few years, I always sell before they reach 29 due to age.

munian.png

Monaco rarely renew contracts on my game. It is getting quite strange.

Not seen them buy someone back yet, but they will happily let a top player leave, and replace them with a similar/weaker player for £30m.

It could be a bug, but there also could be a simple explanation.

Non-qualification for Champions league, (or Europe at all).

Player unwilling to extend contract.

Can you tell us any more about what was going on with Monaco at the time?

FFP might have a signigicant impact on this.

I manage in France and have nearly done this a few times so I think i know maybe what is happening.

Monaco get the player, go on an win something a couple of times, player decided he has done enough in France so doesn't agree a new contract. Then a few years later he has progressed well and Monaco want him back so sign him.

Can't be sure it is that, but there have been times I have nearly resigned a player for this exact reason.

Common sense would indeed say that when a player's in the last year of their contract and not renewing, you sell them in the summer. For it too happen once is fine, maybe that player is worth more staying one more season, but to happen all the time is not logical.

Archived