Bayern v Manchester United

Was reading this report on zonal marking http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/04/10/bayern-munich-3-1-manchester-united-guardiola-uses-his-full-backs-in-midfield-but-bayern-better-with-a-standard-system/ and was wondering if this Bayern system could be replicated. Screenshots not working at the moment but went with 2 center backs with 3 tight defensive midfielders with the 2 outside ones marking the opposition wide players. 1 central midfielder 1 attacking midfielder with 2 wingers and an advanced forward. Anyone got any suggestions how this could work?

Manchester United did not use 3 tightly packed defensive midfielders

To represent this in FM:

4-2(DM)-2-1-1 where the ML/MR are very supporting and tracking back. Where the AMC is constantly tracking back (Rooney), and the STC isn't afraid to be isolated and w/o the ball for long period of time. You'll have to "go route one."

I don't suggest replicating that style of play because it's pretty difficult to play that defensive in this years FM. If you sit in the box the entire match, you're asking for trouble.

You can't really accurately replicate this because you can't make fullbacks sit that narrow relative to the rest of the team. An imperfect workaround would be to play them as DMs set to specific man-mark the opposition wide players.

You can't really accurately replicate this because you can't make fullbacks sit that narrow relative to the rest of the team. An imperfect workaround would be to play them as DMs set to specific man-mark the opposition wide players.
This is what I tried in the end. Quite liked it as my center backs then spread very wide but certainly need decent ball playing defenders otherwise it's very unforgiving, didn't really work for my Gibraltar save, not sure whether it was because my players are of too low ability or just that this kind of positions can't be properly reflected in the match engine. Will try and get some screenshots tonight either way.

Hi Cleon, did have a read of that the other day actually. Understand that is how Pep usually sets-up but the main thing I was trying to reflect was how the Lahm & Alalaba played very narrow when in possession and then as full backs when defending, imagine the rest of the setup is fairly similar otherwise. Would like to give this a go with a better side so starting up a new save, anyone got any ideas for a team who could have players for this DM/FB role other than Bayern.

Archived