Back on Track? Starting with the Railwaymen, ending who knows where...

Northernpilgrim

As the title suggests, my career has begun at Gresty Road, home of

Crewe Alexandra F.C.

175px-Crewe_Alexandra.svg.png

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Crewe Alexandra Football Club (/ˈkruː ælɨɡˈzændrə/ or /-ˈzɑːn-/) is a professional association football club based in Crewe, Cheshire, England. Nicknamed The Railwaymen due to the town's links with the rail industry, they play in Football League One, the third tier in the English football league system, and are based at the Alexandra Stadium.

The club was formed in 1877 and reputedly[1] named after Princess Alexandra, though some[who?] suggest they are named after The Princess public house in which the club was formed. They were founding members of the Second Division in 1892, but only lasted four years in the Football League. Since re-entering the competition in 1921 they have mostly remained in the lower divisions. Crewe's only major honour is the Football League Trophy which they won in 2013. They have also won several minor trophies, including the Cheshire Premier Cup and the Cheshire Senior Cup.

In recent decades the club has been associated with manager Dario Gradi, whose 24-year tenure between 1983 and 2007 made him at that time the longest-serving manager in English football; he had a further two-year spell in the role from 2009 to 2011. Gradi is known for focusing on youth development and promoting attractive, technical football. Notable players brought through the Crewe youth system include former internationals Rob Jones, Neil Lennon, Danny Murphy, Seth Johnson and Dean Ashton. Other notable players to have made their name at Crewe in that time include Geoff Thomas, David Platt and Robbie Savage.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This career is going to be a journeyman career, so expect to see regular job changes, with the aim being to improve a team and then move on. I am not setting any rules for this career, but I will declare that if the job at the team I support (Plymouth Argyle), or my country (Rep of Ireland) comes up, I will take it. I just want to have fun with this save, win trophies, and experience different clubs, different divisions, different countries and hopefully, international management.

The media prediction for us was 12th, and the board have asked for a top half finish. I won't take them up on any offer to raise that expectation level, as the fact that we've won only 1 of our last 6 games leads me to wonder whether a title challenge is sustainable. On current ability ratings we're an average League 1 side, but the potential is there to be a mid table Championship club without making any serious squad changes.

Good luck with Crewe had a good save with them on FM12. Always an attractive lower league club to manage with good facilities and excellent youth set up, possibly the best below championship level. Looks like you're doing a better job that I did getting out of league one, took me years!

That's the plan Nobby_McDonald. I don't know how long I'll stay at Crewe, but it'll be until I've been offered something more tempting, or if I've taken them as far as I realistically think I could do. That might be 1 year, it might be 5. Who knows? But that's really the point. My last career was ended by a corrupt file, but I was looking for a new challenge anyway. The thing that excites me about this Crewe side is the potential ratings. Nearly all the squad are 4 or 4.5 star, rated as top Championship potential, so maybe if I can get out of this division in a season or two, there might be the possibility of being a good Championship club, providing we can keep the squad together. That's my biggest worry, as the wage budget is among the lowest in League 1, and would be easily the smallest if we went up.

A truly awful few months has seen us lose the top spot, and even fall out of the playoffs. If we hadn't already passed the 50 point barrier, I'd actually be worried about staying up. I can't put my finger on what's gone wrong, but the tactics we have used all season are no longer working. I was using a downloaded 4-4-2 (ModernWarfare), plus my own 4-1-2-2-1 and 4-2-3-1 formations, all of which have worked for me on previous saves. I'm hoping that by making a few little tweaks, we might be able to mount a more consistent challenge next season. My goal now has to be simply to finish as high as possible.

Best wishes. Lets hope this save keeps its integrity!!!

I sure hope so. So frustrating to put months into a save, only to have it go down the tubes. It had lost all my history in a data leak though, so maybe it was a good thing? Anyhow, the next update should be interesting as I've made quite a few changes to the squad.

Shortly before they appointed 74 year old Jim Smith, Plymouth Argyle Chairman James Brent released a statement saying he was flattered I'd applied, but that there was no way they could afford to pay the compensation for me. Looks like I'll have to wait for Jim Smith to retire, which shouldn't be too long away.

Defeat to Port Vale in the penultimate match, coupled with the fact that I disputed the decision not to award us a penalty, has led to me being given a touchline ban for our last game of the season. It's frustrating that I won't be able to clinch promotion myself, but I have faith my Assistant Manager will get as good a result as I would have. Win and we're up, anything less and we need favours

My assistant came through for me, as he oversaw a 1-0 home win against Carlisle, and Sheffield Wednesday's shock 1-0 home defeat against Hartlepool meant we not only went up, but did so as champions. I will review my position over the summer, but my gut feeling is that if I receive an offer, I'll go.

I have decided to go as the squad, although full of potential, doesn't have enough current ability or financial clout to survive in the Championship, and with my contract expiring next summer, trying to negotiate an extension or find alternative employment whilst fighting a relegation battle might have been very tough.

I have identified from looking at the squad that there are two distinct areas that need improving. As a matter of urgency I'm looking to recruit a goalkeeper and a striker, which I will hopefully be able to do within the budget constraints of the club. I may look to do this with loans if I can get better players in that way

Archived