You Know When You're Three Nill Down And Look All But Out Of It? Remember This...

First of all, I know that comebacks have been made before, but I'd just like to share this story:

So I'm Manager of England, and we've only just crept through to the 2nd Round of Euro 2024. Playing Belgium, we're slight underdogs, and without our star striker...

2" - Belgium take the lead, terrible start, one-nil down.

6" - Two goals within 5 minutes for Belgium, already looking ominous. 2-0.

9" - Belgian goal disallowed, prevents us going three-nil down inside 10 minutes.

20" - All but out of it within just 20 minutes, 3-0

45" Striker injured, leaving me with no option but to put a winger up front, whilst needing three goals, just to tie.

HT - Morale low, almost every player "having a poor game." 'Encourage' was the team talk, just to let them know that it still could be done, in a vain hope to raise morale and motivation for the 2nd half.

50" - Back in it. Long ball feeding through THAT winger, in on goal, 3-1

60" - Penalty! Definitely in with a shout now, THAT winger, yet again.

60"-84" - Lots of pressure applied, just need that finishing touch.

85" - And there it is! A cross to the far post, headed in by my unmarked CM to level the game!

FT - "Thrilled" Although individual performances weren't that great, I had to express my joy.

96" - A through ball to my actual striker, in on goal, gets tackled, the ball crawls past the keeper, and just over the line! 3-4 England!!

102" The lead that had taken 96 minutes to achieve had been wiped out just 6 minutes later, Lukaku completes his hattrick with a screamer. 4-4.

119" - A sliding tackle results in my other Attacking midfielder in front of goal with just the keeper to beat, first time, 5-4 England!!

FT - Through to the quarter finals after what had been my greatest ever game on FM or CM over the years in 11 years of playing.

engvsbel.png

So there you go! Next time you're 3-0 down, don't give up!

Congrats!!!

Reminds me of when I was England manager and managed to get to the Final of the Confederations Cup in 2017 against Brazil. I had already played Brazil in the Group Stage and lost 3-0 so I wasn't particularly positive going into the game.

6th minute - Brazil score after the England defense falls asleep and lets Neymar run half the pitch and slot the ball past Hart.

15th minute - Brazil go 2-0 up, simple free-kick headed in on the back post by Brazil's star striker (he is a regen who played for me at club level : / )

HT - England are being dominated, Brazil have 65% possesion and look completley safe. I try to motivate the team and bring on a new winger.

60th minute - Still no change in the score and Sandro, is completely dominating from DM, I bring on Welbeck and instruct him to man-mark Sandro to try and reduce his influence on the game.

66th minute - Welbeck wins the ball from Sandro in a deep position, lays off Rooney who smashes it into the top corner. 2-1.

75th minute - Again Welbeck harries Sandro off the ball, forcing him to make a poor pass and my winger pounces on it and slots it past the keeper easily after beating 2 defenders. Im level and the momentum is definately on my side.

91st minute - A long ball from Hart falls to Welbeck after some poor defending from the Brazilian centre-backs, he bears down on goal and smashes it past the keeper.

93rd minute - England WIN 3-2!!!

I think this was my most satisfying game on FM. I was getting my ass handed to me but made one VERY simple change which allowed me not only to get back into the game but also to go win it.

What of you were Belgium though? You would have no chance. Your team would never score 4 goals past Engand and you would be pegged back for 90% of the match

Thing is in 2024, England are hosting the Euros, so there were no qualifiers to play, there was very little national talent, and when you look at Belgium, Lukaku, Hazard, and a bunch of quality regens, we were slight underdogs, that's what made it that bit better, and yes Blobby, I would have been pretty outraged if it was the other way around :)

I'm surprised England are playing at the Emirates. Don't the hosts usually play at their traditional home in every game, such as Euro 96 where even the England QF and SF were at Wembley.

I'm surprised England are playing at the Emirates. Don't the hosts usually play at their traditional home in every game, such as Euro 96 where even the England QF and SF were at Wembley.

I thought that, my group games were at Hillsborough, Stadium of Light, then Elland Road! Didn't play at Wembley till the final actually

Archived