FM11: Abubakari Yakubu - Dependable, solid, unspectacular, but FREE.

tmason122

Abubakari Yakubu is a solid, dependable, unspectacular right back. However he is good at one thing, which is preventing the oppostion from scoring goals.

YAKUBU_Abubak_20060123_GH_R.jpg

Yakubu is a Ghanan football who starts the game a free agent after being released by Dutch Eredivisie side Vitesse in the summer of 2009. On good old Wikipedia he is described as being a midfielder, and he can play there in game, but without doubt in game his best positions (and natural) are RB and RWB.

Signed Yakubu on FM10 for a free with Middlesborough and was cracking for me then as we finished top of the championship. Unfortunately then FM11 came out and he never got tested in the premier league... However on my current game in FM11 I decided to still if he was still kicking around. After signing him on a free at the beginning and with him on £3,900 p/w wages he's been great for me (FC Utrecht).

Average rating for me has been 7.18 over the season (currently in October) and his value has risen to £900k. I reckon by the season he sill be worth over a £1M easily. In the league this season we have only conceded 6 goals and he's played a key part of this. Yakubu often makes a lot of interceptions up the pitch, yet also seems to suit his nickname "the tiger" as the amount of times he's got back to disposs an oppostion player with an inch perfect slide tackle has been uncountable. Saved me many one-on-ones with my keeper.

Anyway his stats are below, as are his positions. Another part of the attraction him on a free is his versatility.

AbubakariYakubu.jpg

AbubakariYakubupositions.jpg

In summary, one of my favourties for championship sides and other european leagues that aren't up to the top standard. Who knows, he may even play a role as backup at some premier league sides with value like that.

Do you know if he is injury prone like he was on FM10?

He was epic on FM10, would go to pretty much any level, and would do the job, shame he was injured most of the time :thdn:

I didn't break his leg! I am not some mentalist going around snapping people's legs for fun!

In the very first pre-season friendly, Home Farm goalkeeper come rushing out and broke it! Saved me nearly £10k a week.

--

Back to topic, was £3,900 the lowest he would go.. or did you just accept initial offer from agent?

Origianlly posted by Tyoldinho

Back to topic, was £3,900 the lowest he would go.. or did you just accept initial offer from agent?

Errr, not to sure.... I can't really remember. He was one of my first signings so I may have got a bit overexcited , and to be honest I was still trying to figure out the best way to play the negotiation system. Though, I do remember he excepted "rotation" status as importance within the squad, so you probably could push it down a little. However, to be fair he has been worth £3,900 a week and a £0 transfer fee.

---

Origianlly posted by Tyoldinho

I didn't break his leg! I am not some mentalist going around snapping people's legs for fun!

Now that would be an interesting player interaction option.

Originally posted by John Smith

Got a straight red for a two-footed tackle 5 mins after coming on as a sub for me...

Ha ha ha, thats a bit of a bummer. Hope you didn't lose the game. The only red card he had for me was in a monumental game against PSV which we won 1-0, however both sides finished the games on 9 men with another 10 yellow cards shared between the two sides. Never seen such a match....

yakubu is definatley dependable often a signing i made on fm 10 coming up with my notts co team right to the prem this year ive signed im on my sunderland team just as back up due to limited transfer funds has played well covering in defence and holding midfield but is definatley strongest as right back

I signed him for my Norwich team. He's been pretty solid, 6.94 from 35 appearances in the league (currently sitting 6th).

My only concern is that he's crazy.

He's given away so many penalties that I've started to think the refs have it in for me.

37 appearances, 20 yellows, 3 reds, 102 fouls

Archived