Match lags on Vista laptop

Just wanted to share my experience.

I have lived with the game lagging in matches, thinking my laptop was not good enough or I needed a newer Graphic driver.

Got the new driver and still no improvement.

So I started to think.....be carefull with that.

I could see that there where alot of Diskactivity where there shouldn't be any.

Found out (with some Google-help) that I could stop/disable 2 services.

I stopped: Readyboost and Superfetch.

Since then my game has run smooth as silk.

Stupid me for not doing this earlier.

Hope this helps others.

I am no computer whizz kid but i have just googled these two programmes/features and from what I can figure out, by all means disable Superfetch but DO NOT disable readyboost as it actually slows down your start up and can actually affect a lot of other programmes.

As I said I am no expert just bored at work with google.

From google

The SuperFetch service in Windows Vista preloads your system's memory with the applications that you use most often. This makes launching of those applications much faster, but it might be an unwanted behavior for system tweakers or gamers.

There's no hard evidence that enabling or disabling this service will increase performance in general, but if you open and close applications often you should definitely leave it alone. You will have to test your configuration to know for sure.

Note that I don't recommend disabling this service, but we try to cover how to do everything on Vista.

Open up Services in Control Panel or by typing services.msc into the Start menu search or run boxes.

Double-click on Superfetch in the list to open up the properties, and then change the drop-down to "Disabled". You can also click Stop to immediately turn it off.

Log this on the techy forum. I know a few other people have had this

Try a search als as there maybe a solution for you else SI will need to look into it. I suggest your detail your lap top specs, OS and version etc

I have a desktop, dunno if that makes a difference?

And how do you disable this HDD indexing thing you speak of?

The hardware doesnt matter. Just the OS. :thup:

The fastest way is to simply disable the Windows Search service. Run Services (just type “Services” at the Start Search bar), right click on the Windows Search service and select “Properties”. Then choose “Disabled” for the start type. Afterwards, you have to stop this service by right clicking on it and selecting “Stop”.

Assuming you can live without the search function. Its a good trade-off. ;)

Thanks for this, i'll see how the 3D is doing now.

I wouldn't get too excited mate, I have a HD 3850 and it chugs like a ferret on paraffin from time to time - regardless. 9.2 has frame glitching issues that 9.1 didn't have. So I reckon they will have noticed in the test room. ;)

But disabling it affects the running of other services, beware.

Disabling ReadyBoost will also disable Readyboot, so expect your startup time to increase if you are using it! If not - no problem really.

BTW here's a general speed it up guide for Vista I found:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/83ec0ffe-ee04-4d53-8b87-25d1f05c954e1033.mspx

I would definately try Vista + FM sans the resource hog visual effects. ;)

If you play in windowed mode it can help, especially if you resize the window to make it smaller than default. Also changing highlight speed (slower) helps.

I put this link in another thread but is worthy of a 2nd post in this thread.

For people that want to learn about there OS and how to tweak preformance I would highly recommend this site..

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

It has a free small D/L for both XP and Vista and is very novice friendly and also very good for user's that know quite a bit about there OS,IT will teach you more about your OS and what feature's etc you could do without as well as much more,is well worth a look.

I put this link in another thread but is worthy of a 2nd post in this thread.

For people that want to learn about there OS and how to tweak preformance I would highly recommend this site..

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

It has a free small D/L for both XP and Vista and is very novice friendly and also very good for user's that know quite a bit about there OS,IT will teach you more about your OS and what feature's etc you could do without as well as much more,is well worth a look.

Ahh the legendary Mr. Tweak. Had some fun with his Oblivion guide. :thup:

Im confused now because I thought that would be a sufficent graphics card to run the game on.

Plus judging by the the spec you give it shouldnt be anything to do with proccessor or ram or performance.

As stupid as it sounds if nothing to do with any anti virus software being turned on is it?

Ahh well, I've updated my Graphics Drivers, DirectX, Disabled Superfetch, Disabled Windows Search Service, Ran In Windowed Mode, Played in low quality and still no difference. Looks like i need to save up for a new graphics card now. :)

Have to admit that yesterday.....it sucked again.

I looked and searched and stopped stuff but nothing helped.

I then tried to go to "Visual Effects" and set the setting to "Performance".

It now runs smooth again.

Now I just have to go back and se what I can put back on again so the Vista still looks decent and pretty.

I turned off superfetch yesterday I am not sure if it effects lagging as mine didnt anyway, but what it did do was make my pc a hell of a lot quieter. As it wasnt trying to access the HD every few seconds. The only time I hear my HD now is when it's actually used. So happy :)

Archived