FM 2008: Sunderland AFC - The Irish Revolution

marcftm

2003932561741506081_th.jpg

2003932561741506081_rs.jpg

Sunderland Association Football Club is a professional football club, based at the Stadium of Light in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, in North-East England. They play in the Premier League. They moved to the Stadium of Light in 1997 after 99 years at Roker Park.

Before the Second World War, Sunderland were league champions six times - in 1892, 1893, 1895, 1902, 1913, and most recently in 1936, when they became the last team wearing striped shirts to win the league. They were elected into the football league in 1890, becoming the first team to join after the league's birth in 1888. Sunderland stayed in the top flight until 1958, a record which only Arsenal have bettered since, in 1992. The club won their first FA Cup in 1937 with a 3-1 victory over Preston North End.

Sunderland's major triumph post World War II was the club's second FA Cup victory in 1973, when the club secured a 1-0 victory over Leeds United.

1) Craig Gordon

2) Greg Halford

3) Ian Harte

4) Dickson Etuhu

5) Nyron Nosworthy

6) Paul McShane

7) Carlos Edwards

8) Dean Whitehead

9) Anthony Stokes

10) Kieran Richardson

11) Daryl Murphy

12) Liam Miller

13) Darren Ward

14) Danny Higginbotham

15) Danny Collins

16) Michael Chopra

17) Kenwyne Jones

18) Grant Leadbitter

19) Dwight Yorke

20) Andy Cole

21) Russell Anderson

22)

23) Roy O'Donavon

24) Trevor Carson

25)

26) Jack Pelter

27) Stanislav Varga

28)

29) Peter Hartley

30) Jake Richardson

31) David Connolly

32)

33) Ross Wallace

34) Billy Dennehy

35) Michael Kay

36) Gavin Donoghue

37) Robbie Weir

38) Martin Chandler

39)

40) David Dowson

Club Details:

Stadium: Stadium Of Light

Stadium Capcity: 49000 all seater with under-soil heating (It says it on Wikipedia)

Pitch Dimensions: Length: 105m Width: 68m

Reserve Stadium: The Hetton Centre, Sunderland

Home Kit: Red And White

Away Kit: White

Founded: 1879

Chairman: Loves The Club

Favourite Personnel: Niall Quinn, Roy Keane, Kevin Ball, Jody Craddock, Julio Arca, Stephen Elliott(How?), Nyron Nosworthy

Fierce Rivals: Newcastle

Other Rivals: Boro (icon_biggrin.gif), Leeds

Finances: Secure

Estimated Value: $85 mil

Training Facilities: Good

Media Prediction: 16th

Squad Average Age: 25

Squad Personality: Determined

Captain: Dean Whitehead

Great game post:

If you have just had a sensational win or a great match write little match report on it as it shows more than a screenshot does.

Who should I sign posts:

If you want help and advice on a new signing post as much information as possible – this should include at least your transfer budget remaining, wage budget remaining, bank balance, players already in said position, transfer targets and what type of player you want (e.g. a quick, strong striker that is under 24).

Help strengthening team posts:

If you want help and advice regarding strengthening your team post your starting line up and formations, substitutes, your feelings on the team, positions you want strengthening, transfer budget, transfer targets and the type of players you want. If you include as much information as possible it is easier for us to help you.

Updates:

If you are going to post updates, please keep it to three a season – end of pre-season, end of January transfer window and end of season. This will make the thread easier to use and less clogged up. Also if you try and only use screenshots in these updates otherwise the thread will be littered with screenshots. If you do want to talk about a signing either put it in one of the three updates.

These updates should be along the lines of:

Pre-season update (year)

Transfers In

Transfers Out

Formation

Squad

Expectations for the season

Pre-season odds

Remaining transfer budget

Remaining wage budget

January transfer window update (year)

Transfers In

Transfers Out

Squad

League table

Cup competitions

Revised expectations

Player and Manager Awards

End of season update

End of season league table

Cup competitions

Manger’s thoughts on the season

Transfer targets

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just started as Sunderland as i support them in real life. Am looking for players to strengthen all areas of the team only played on friendly so far this is my 2nd go on the demo with Sunderland and i must say Chopra and Kenwyne Jones are aweful up front always miss easy chances.

Anyone had any luck with these two?

Who have you signed i have only signed Eric Addo, Flamini on loan. The lack of transfer funds is annoying lol.

get ignashevic sp? on a free from cska moscow - rock in the back 4!

signed marko marin from gladbach - classy young mid, scores some hellish goals.

kenwyne jones is crap, chopra not too much better.

i play with stokes and connolly, stokes out scoring connolly!

i'm 10 games in and am 16th with 11 points

those were my only buys as all i got was 800k

play a 433, works on the attacking front but leaks like crazy - beat aston villa 4-3 away, was 3-0 up 1st half.

sunderland seems like a great challange in this edition however transfer prices are double, k jones was not 11mill and chopra was not 9mill and players too underrated imho

If you ask for more money about 3 weeks from the transfer deadline you can get like £5 millionish extra.

I signed that guy from CSKA the first few times i played the demo he is great. If you play 4-3-3 how can you play with Connolly and Stokes up front?

Thiago Motta is available on loan aswell and is a great loan signing.

I can only say im worried by what you have posted so far. I love the game and 99 times out of a 100 im my beloved Sunderland. First worry training facilities: good. anyone who knows the club will understand we have some of the best facilities in the world and that good is a smack in the face, and apparently your saying big kenwyn jones is crap? Well when i saw him the other wek at Aresenal, I wouldnt have rated him as crap. Hopefully the full release will have many things sorted, but as I say you guys have me rather worried.

Originally posted by AcidBurn:

If you ask for more money about 3 weeks from the transfer deadline you can get like £5 millionish extra.

didn't work, board got ****y with me - was told to focus on training!

also i agree that sunderland in this edition hasn't been researched very well - hopefully it will all be changed. on the k jones issue i heard that the person who scouted him for the game was a bitter southampton fan (remember the whole not going to play thing) so perhaps this is revenge?

didn't work, board got ****y with me - was told to focus on training!

also i agree that sunderland in this edition hasn't been researched very well - hopefully it will all be changed. on the k jones issue i heard that the person who scouted him for the game was a bitter southampton fan (remember the whole not going to play thing) so perhaps this is revenge?

They got like that with me on one of my games but if you watch the balance it starts low and it will go up to about £4million or more. It must be the season ticket sales and stuff and when i requested more money i got, maybe it was 2 weeks before the transfer window.

I also think that in the full game we should have more money as Quinn said there will be more to spend in Jan if Keano wants it.

irst game of season is away to Man You!

Welcome to my world, Liverpool away, and injury galore.

Flamini from Arsenal on loan hinting for permanent deal, but my GOD am I having trouble stopping the leakage in the back, signed Igor Tudor & Samuel Kuffour, helped a little, but I must admit Im struggling tactics wise.

just started my first game with sunderland,having a very successful preseason beat man u,lost 2 1 to arsenal and beat hannover and someone else 8 nil.absolutly awful transfer budget,brought in flamini,chris eagles on loan and made kavanagh me captain,bloody awesome,sold leadbitter,hes just sooo average and brought in some finnish kid who is the business! playing 442 but really need a good st cos jones and co just aint gona cut it.hope you get around 10m in the summer of 2008 if i get euro qual!

Kenywe is doing great for me. Played the demo and hes rates the 4th best prem player and 2nd highest goal scorer. Im playing a 4-3-2-1 formation and he's the lone striker.

The board gave me very little money at the start but have coughed up since. Still nothing compared to waht Keano gets!

Also signed Doudin cheap and hes starting to come good and arsenal are interested

Got Daniel Jensen and hes proved to be a great buy. Also got a guy called Gargula and hes getting on good too.

13th in the prem in jan

Guest safc-ken

Paolo di Canio, jeez he's 39, hows he doing for you.

Brought in Sergey Ignashevich on a free, also went for Jonny Evans on loan and also Eric Addo for a free to try and shore up my defence.

I've also went for Savo Milosevic at the very begining, He does a better job than Jones and Chops, also look at Piatti (sp - poss piatto) also another good young defender is Jordy Buijs (thank god he isnt one of the black and white variety) Certainly one for the future.

Other players ive signed are Dzsudzsak for £160k and Super Kev for £120k. Also go for Haested at the begining, Class act, but to get him I had to sell Nos : (

had addo on the demo and he was sh%t, every month my report from the board said, 'you need to justify the signing of addo' - so didn't go for him in the full game. gusev is a good signing from CSKA moscow (free too) but he is way better than edwards, maybe patrick should rethink his pecking order.

but i'm sure as you all have noticed the problem with sunderland is they're ***** - oh and no money to fix said *****.

on reflection - so as to not seem like i'm taking a dig at other's buys and selections - rasiak was a mistake. spent way too much on him (over twice his value) and haven't seem anyting spectacular from him - eh well I still think I'll do better than roy this season lol!

Originally posted by revolution_is_my_name:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zico:

Jones looked pretty damned impressive today against West Ham.

yeah, it's a shame our def is a shambles! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How'd you figure that one, Nyron made one mistake. Apart from that I thougght everyone was solid.

Is it me or is Mcshane a thug on the game!? Everything I play him he either gives away a penalty or gets sent off!

Currently 8 games in and lying in 19th place with 5 points icon_frown.gif Think I've found a good tactic though in 4-5-1 with Murphey up-front. Just asked for more transfer funds n got £4million which shud b ok for january.

Originally posted by marcftm:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by revolution_is_my_name:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zico:

How'd you figure that one, Nyron made one mistake. Apart from that I thougght everyone was solid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nyron as usual made a costly mistake - i know the lad has been doing well since keane came in but he does have a tendency to screw our keeper over. higgingbottam also made a couple of mistakes - again costly. d collins is not prem material although has found some steady form - and as for halford, had a better game but the lad is cack (no wonder reading wanted rid). not one of our back four are prem quality and it shows

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by marcftm:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by revolution_is_my_name:

How'd you figure that one, Nyron made one mistake. Apart from that I thougght everyone was solid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nyron as usual made a costly mistake - i know the lad has been doing well since keane came in but he does have a tendency to screw our keeper over. higgingbottam also made a couple of mistakes - again costly. d collins is not prem material although has found some steady form - and as for halford, had a better game but the lad is cack (no wonder reading wanted rid). not one of our back four are prem quality and it shows </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought our defence was alright today, nout amazing, but not bad, Nyron was one of our best players, apart from that mistake. Halford is getting better now. Im number one in the "I hate Danny Collins Fan Club" but I think he is getting a lot better since Harte came in for competition and Higginbotham was alright but we need McShane in for him please.

Erm, just beat Reading away, then Boro at home, then Derby at home, moved up to 14th and got sacked! Hows that work! icon_frown.gif

eh? that seems mighty odd. what did you set your expectations on? all i can think of is you've said you'd win the league and you're not up there yet and the board got tired of waiting? i dunno - it seems strange

oh and eddie johnson is fantastic again! highly recommended

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by marcftm:

Nyron as usual made a costly mistake - i know the lad has been doing well since keane came in but he does have a tendency to screw our keeper over. higgingbottam also made a couple of mistakes - again costly. d collins is not prem material although has found some steady form - and as for halford, had a better game but the lad is cack (no wonder reading wanted rid). not one of our back four are prem quality and it shows </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought our defence was alright today, nout amazing, but not bad, Nyron was one of our best players, apart from that mistake. Halford is getting better now. Im number one in the "I hate Danny Collins Fan Club" but I think he is getting a lot better since Harte came in for competition and Higginbotham was alright but we need McShane in for him please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i actually like danny collins - he just inst prem material!

Erm, just beat Reading away, then Boro at home, then Derby at home, moved up to 14th and got sacked! Hows that work! icon_frown.gif

eh? that seems mighty odd. what did you set your expectations on? all i can think of is you've said you'd win the league and you're not up there yet and the board got tired of waiting? i dunno - it seems strange

oh and eddie johnson is fantastic again! highly recommended </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said for Mid-Table.

Started a new game already.

Beat Dinamo 1-0

Beat Pirmasens 2-0

Beat Dusseldorf 6-2

Beat Saarbrucken 2-0

Signed Lauri Dalla Valle, Jonny Evans on loan so far.

Sold Daryl Murphy for 2.5m over 24 months.

Any Reccomendations on who to sign, got 1.73mil to spend?

Currenty in 11th and a few days to the January transfer window. I disabled the option so as no-one bought players during the August window.

Portsmouth have bid £8M for Carlos, I accepted and it has been confirmed. I thought I would be getting Fernando Belluschi from River but as the 'Who's who' of European football have entered the fray I doubt he'll come.

Just hope he was not a childhood Everton fan.

Anyone recommend a good/very good right midfielder/winger??

Originally posted by Nashwan:

Currenty in 11th and a few days to the January transfer window. I disabled the option so as no-one bought players during the August window.

Portsmouth have bid £8M for Carlos, I accepted and it has been confirmed. I thought I would be getting Fernando Belluschi from River but as the 'Who's who' of European football have entered the fray I doubt he'll come.

Just hope he was not a childhood Everton fan.

Anyone recommend a good/very good right midfielder/winger??

icon_biggrin.gif

I'm considering playing as Sunderland again in a multiplayer game with my mates.

What is their transfer budget like this season?

Has anyone already finished a season with Sunderland? Is it a realistic goal to finish with a UEFA Cup spot?

Transfer budget is pathetic mate - you start off with 500k and are supposed to get 80% of any transfer revenue you make, but I simply haven't.

Whoever is doing the Sunderland researching wants shooting, Niall Quinn has said on numerous occasions money is available and will be spent in January - so I've no idea what's going on.

There's also the stuff with the training facilities just being good, instead of 'top class' and our debt seems to have vanished despite the bank loans being servicable and still in place.

Originally posted by Albie:

Transfer budget is pathetic mate - you start off with 500k and are supposed to get 80% of any transfer revenue you make, but I simply haven't.

Whoever is doing the Sunderland researching wants shooting, Niall Quinn has said on numerous occasions money is available and will be spent in January - so I've no idea what's going on.

There's also the stuff with the training facilities just being good, instead of 'top class' and our debt seems to have vanished despite the bank loans being servicable and still in place.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Albie:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seconded

Time for an update;

Played 16 Won 7 Drew 1 Lost 8 Points 22

13th in League

5 points off Europe, 9 off Relegation, just got battered 5-1 off Man You

Top Scorers;

Apps

Kenwyne 15(1) 8

Ian Harte 16 4

Kieran Richardson 14 3

Big Dick 9 (1) 2

Then 5 players on one

Average Rating;

Kenwyne 15(1) 7.25

Dean Whitehead 15 7.00

Jonny Evans is identical

David Connolly 2(1) 7.00

Liam Miller 3 7.00

Craig Gordon 17 6.94

My Team;

Gordon

Dr: Mcshane/Halford

Dl:Ian Harte

Cb: Christopher Samba

Cb: Higginbotham/Evans/Nyron (Which one would you chose?

Dmc: Miller/Etuhu

Mc: Etuhu/Whitehead

Amr: Carlos/ Leadbitter

Aml: Richardson/ Wallace

Fc: Kenwyne

Fc: Stokesy/Cole/Connolly/Chops (Which one?)

Hopefully I can get to the magic 40 points in the next ten games icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Albie:

So in otherwords you think Sunderland have no chance to challenge for a UEFA cup spot in the first season.

Yes i agree with you sounds like the research looks rather off target for Sunderland. I would have thought that Sunderland have more money to spend.

Originally posted by rggrey:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Albie:

So in otherwords you think Sunderland have no chance to challenge for a UEFA cup spot in the first season.

Yes i agree with you sounds like the research looks rather off target for Sunderland. I would have thought that Sunderland have more money to spend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there is no way you'll challenge for a uefa spot - not unless the rest of the league have insane amounts of injuries

- also very disappointed with researching of sunderland!

Kewell on loan is a gun for me on the left, he's by far my best player 1/4 way through the season. I bought on a free almeyda for my dm because Kav can't tackle and when he does he gives a free kick. But Almeyda did pick up 7 yellow cards in 7 games with medium tackling...

Chopra is my highest scorer with Jones being a hold up the ball and through balls type of player.

I don't think I'll get into the eufa spots but I do believe its possible with a better manager then I am.

Originally posted by dukesisking:

Kewell on loan is a gun for me on the left, he's by far my best player 1/4 way through the season. I bought on a free almeyda for my dm because Kav can't tackle and when he does he gives a free kick. But Almeyda did pick up 7 yellow cards in 7 games with medium tackling...

Chopra is my highest scorer with Jones being a hold up the ball and through balls type of player.

I don't think I'll get into the eufa spots but I do believe its possible with a better manager then I am.

I might get in to the Euro Vase, because Im 9th at the end of January thanks to the mighty Kenwyne. Scored 15 goals, 3 of which came in a 3-0 win over Arsenal. icon_eek.gif

Archived