Wage demands for overseas clubs

Do players demand higher wages for moving abroad? I'm trying to sign Dean Ashton as Juventus and despite there being a lot of competition from mainly English clubs so far only me and Everton have had our bids accepted. He asked for £98k a week plus a £3.1m signing on fee which struck me as a little high for a player who's only on £40 odd grand a week at West Ham who's being offered the chance to play for the reigning European champions. I've noticed it with other players too - notably Phillip Lahm wanted £120k a week, though in the end he chose to stay at Bayern on much lower wages (non-active league though).

Ashton must have been playing well for you to consider signing him for Juventus, so he is perfectly within his rights to ask for a big contract. Hope you didn't sign him tho!!!

Hasnt pennant just priced himself out of a move to Real if the papers are to be believed

Yes, he is playing well, plus on my list of strikers he is the only one who is not cup tied for Europe so that puts him above the others. I did try to get Torres but Liverpool aren't playing ball. You'd think he'd be happy with lower terms if it was the chance to play for a big club, if he was just interested in the money then I could see him asking for big bucks from the smaller clubs, but there's no way I'm going to give him £98k p/w. I've offered him £68k + the signing on fee (regretting that though) but I'm expecting Liverpool will come in and sign him to be honest.

Archived