Position Abbreviation

is there any reason they're weird as they are?

i mean, in the vast majority of the footballing world apart from GK, you wouldn't use any of the positions as described in FM! i'm still a bit puzzled i've never brought this up in a decade of playing versions of this game.

GK : GK

SW : SW

RB : DR

CB : DC

LB : DL

DM : DM

RWB : WBR

LWB : WBL

CM : MC

RM : MR

LM: ML

AM : AMC

RW : AMR

LW : AML

SS : FC

CF : ST

of course this is PURELY a cosmetic thing, perhaps it's the FM way to try and merge several positions a player can play at conveniently?

but even then:

R/LB

R/LW, AM

R/L/CB

etc, etc could work

obviously i'm really not passionate about this 'suggestion' at all because as i said, it's purely cosmetic, but worth a squirt! talking about a defender right to a housemate definitely feels a lot less natural than a right back.

I don't think there's any practical difference between FC and ST in the game, for one. Other than that I prefer to see the area (D, WB etc.) first - but perhaps a personal choice. When talking to others about FM I'd just say "D-R" rather than "Defender Right", those who play it should understand perfectly fine.

FC's have a free role stat of 15+, i believe. there's a clear difference between a rooney / totti type of forward to a nistelrooy, i'd say it's worth classifying just as there's a difference between DM/CM/AM, though it's not visually represented in the tactical set up (apart from mentality etc)

Other than that I prefer to see the area (D, WB etc.) first - but perhaps a personal choice. When talking to others about FM I'd just say "D-R" rather than "Defender Right", those who play it should understand perfectly fine.

Me too.

It's just neater to see defence/defensive midfield/midfield/attacking midfield/forward first then left/centre/right.

If I'm talking about a left back to mates who play FM I'll say "left back" or "D-L" but in written form I'd rather only see 'DL'.

Archived