H.A.M. Clan FM2009 Game Thread

After three successful FM clan games, the H.A.M. Clan returns for a fourth installment.

After a random draw to allocate teams the line up was as follows:

Alistair Gillespie - Notts County

David Harrop - Port Vale

Jonny Dean - Grimsby Town

George Hawker - Aldershot Town

Mark Stanley - Macclesfield Town

Gary Scott - Bradford City

You can follow our progress on our website - http://hamclan.gillesam.net/

Our first game of the season was at home to Barnet. We played pretty well in what was a very even game. We couldn't find a goal and had to settle for a 0-0 draw. It was the League Cup next as we travelled to face Norwich. We played poorly in the first half and went in 2-0 down. We played better in the second half and Weston pulled one back late on to make the final 2-1 to Norwich. Accrington Stanley were next to visit. We played well in the first half but went in 1-0 down. We played really poorly in the second half and conceded another goal to lose 2-0.

It was away at Shrewsbury next. We had another shocker and never looked like scoring as we lost 2-0. It was away to Harrop's Port Vale next. This was a close game apart from in the final score as Vale on 3-0. We continued to look for our first win at home to George's Aldershot. We fell behind to an early goal before Forrester equalised with our first league goal of the season. It didn't last as we conceded just before half time. Aldershot went further ahead at the start of the second half. Forrester scored again to pull one back. We had chances late on to equalise, including hitting the post, but couldn't take them and lost 3-2.

Brentford away followed. A dismal first half saw us go in 1-0 down. We played a bit better in the second half but it looked as if we would lose again until Sears equalised with 8 minutes to go to rescue a point in a 1-1 draw. It was home to Rotherham next. Sears scored in the first half to give us a 1-0 lead. Soley scored a 30 yard screamer late on to make it 2-0 and give us our first win of the season. We travelled to face Dagenham & Redbridge. Soley scored a screamer just before half time to put us 1-0 up. Dag & Red equalised at the start of the second half. The rest of the game was pretty even and it finished 1-1.

We finished the session at home to Exeter. We controlled this game from start to finish but required a Forrester penalty midway through the second half to win 1-0. This was a mixed start to the season. A slight change in tactics has improved our form in the last few games and we have moved up to 17th.

Monday's session started with the JPT where we travelled to play Grimsby. We played poorly but managed to hold out to take it to penalties. Unfortunately we missed our first penalty which proved costly as we went out 5-4. It was home to Gary's Bradford next. This was the classic game of two halves. We were terrible in the first half and we were lucky to only be 1-0 down at half time. We started the second half much better and Clapham equalised with a great strike. We had a goal ruled out for offside so had to settle for a 1-1 draw.

Wycombe away followed. We controlled this match from start to finish. Soley opened the scoring with a thunderbolt from 40 yards. Forrester and Mitchley both scored to put us 3-0 up after 30 minutes. There were no goals after this and we won 3-0. Gillingham away was next. This was a pretty poor game from both teams. A Forrester strike midway through the second half saw us draw 1-1. The next match was at home to Rochdale. We were terrible in this game, we never managed a shot during the whole game yet managed a point as it finished 0-0.

It was away to Bournemouth next. After a poor first half we went in 1-0 down. Forrester scored at the start of the second half to make it 1-1. Both sides had chances to score but couldn't take them so it finished 1-1, our third draw in a row. We hosted Morecambe after that. We played pretty well in this game but could not score and ended up losing 1-0 as a result. This leaves us in 16th place after 15 games and with a lot of work still to do.

AldershotTown.png

George H-Aldershot

After a career in the Non-leagues I had somehow managed to blag a join the Football League, the media were predicting the team to drop straight back down into the football conference and it clearly wasn't going to be an easy job. The Club were playing their first season in the football league since their reformation in 1992 and had run away with the conference in the 07-08 season playing some good free flowing football. After taking a brief look at the team it was clear that apart from the GK and wingers the team was really lacking in players of any real ability and that a few signings would need to be made. However the underdog status of the team should play into the teams hands and enable them to play a brand of quick counter attack football.

After bringing in a few free signings and some loan players the season got underway away from home at darlington however as I had a touchline ban I would have to rely on my assistant. However despite perhaps being the better team we lost 2-1 and started are league career with a loss, we then suffered a 1-0 loss in the League Cup against Charlton in which we conceded an 87th minute goal. We again lost 2-1 away from home with our game against Bury and it was begging to look like it might be a poor season for us until we played Luton at home. We were predicted to lose heavily to Luton, but instead we played them off the pitch and took a convincing 2-0 win from the game in what was perhaps an early turning point for are season. After beating Luton we went on a five game winning streak taking us into 4th place and proving the critics wrong.

Are next game was against Accrington who were top of the table and unbeaten, we were completely outplayed in this game and went on to lose 3-0. We went into the next game against Shrewsbury attempting to make up for are performance against Accrington and we we perhaps unlucky to draw 2-2. We got back to winning ways against Chesterfield but then went on to be knocked out of the Paint Trophy against Orient in league 1. After our next 2 games in which we won comfortably, we went 3-1 down against Brentford and looked like we were set to lose the game until an amazing come back with goals in the 82nd, 87th and 95th minutes to give us a 4-3 win. Another 95th minute goal gave us a 2-1 win against an unimpressive Rotherham before a bore draw against Dagenham and Redbridge but which still saw us close in on the rest of the title contenders. Our last game was a 3-2 game against the mighty Bradford in which some top goals from both wingers sealed a win in the game and saw us close the gap on the top of the table to 1 point.

Coca-ColaLeague2.png

Thursday's session started with the FA Cup where we travelled to play Shrewsbury. We didn't play particuarly well in this game but went somehow won 2-0 thanks to goals from Carrol, on debut, and Forrester.Lincoln away followed. We played much better in the first half of this game and Carroll scored 5 minutes before the break to give us the lead. It looked as if this would be enough until Fabio was sent off late on and Lincoln equalised from the free kick to make the final score 1-1.

Luton at home was next. This was a terrible game with the only highlight being the ref's whistle at full time as it finished goalless. This was a better game and first half goals from Forrester and Carroll saw us run out 2-0 winners. We were away to Southend in the FA Cup next. Southend outclassed us in this game but a late Carroll goal gave us hope. It was too little too late and we went out losing 2-1.

Bury away followed. We were awful in this game and were lucky to only lose 1-0. We made a slow start and found oursleves 2-0 down before Sears pulled one back to make it 2-1 at half time. We had a couple of chances to equalise in the second half but couldn't take them and we ended up losing 3-1. It was home to Macclesfield next. This was a close, tight game until O'Leary was sent off just after half time. We then conceded 2 quick goals and it looked as if we would lose again. Then Forrester scored twice in 2 minutes late on to make it 2-2 and salvage a point.

We travelled to Chesterfield next. This was a fairly even game until we scored twice in 5 minutes with goals from Forrester and Carroll. Butcher added a third late on to give us a 3-0 win. Grimsby away followed. Mayo gave us the lead with a penalty on the hour mark. We managed to hold on for 10 minutes before Grimsby equalised. We had chances to win but had to settle for a point. This leaves us in 15th place at the halfway point in the season.

David Harrop - Port Vale

After a random draw of League 2 teams I was named the new Port Vale manager and the expectations were high, the media along with my new board where predicting a successful season and a minimum expectation of promotion into League 1.

We started with a small transfer budget (10k) and we where already close to our wage limit, in the summer transfer window I used the entire transfer budget on a new striker - Mexican youth international 'Guzman' (very promising and my ass man says his current ability is a 'good championship player'), with all my budget gone I brought in some loan players - Lansbury from Arsenal being the best.

We started the season pretty poorly hanging around the playoffs but by the time the winter transfer window came around we had dropped even further to about 12th, the poor 1st half of the season was all my own doing as I could not find a formation/tactics that I liked and there for changed from 4-4-2's to 4-3-3's to even a 3-4-3 trying to get something that worked but all the changing just made it worse.

At the start of the January transfer window I brought in 3 players on frees - Moreno a 17yo promising Spanish left winger - Kalonas a 22yo Lithuanian Central Midfielder - Rebosio a very good 32yo Peruvian Central Defender and they all were good enough to play as 1st choices therefore improving the squad dramatically without a penny spent but even though I had lowered the wages of the players currently at the club by almost 2k I had gone way over the wage limit by about 3k, I tried to sell a few fringe players to lower it but without success.

Since the start of January we have played a little better and are keeping the playoffs within sight but we are still not playing anything like I feel this squad of players are capable of (my ass man says 3 are Championship quality and the weakest are good League 2 players).

If I can quickly come up with a formation/tactics that work well I still feel we can make the playoffs, but if we don't I think we will be starting next season in League 2 again - if the board don't sack me.

Monday's session saw the transfer window reopen. Our squad was strengthened straight away when Cevasco, Ndo & Noel-Williams arrived on Bosmans. The first game of the session was away to Accrington. After struggling for most of the first half Mayo gave us the lead only for Accrington to equalise 2 minutes later. We went behind to a penalty at the start of the second half before a Carroll double turned things around. It stayed like this until we conceded in stoppage time, which Accrington converted. They then scored again to condign us to a 4-3 defeat. It was home to Shrewsbury next. We started slowly and were 2-0 down after 50 minutes. Carroll pulled one back with a screamer from 30 yards as we dominated the rest of the game. We did everything but equalise and lost 2-1.

Barnet away followed. We actually played pretty well in this game but somehow managed to lose 3-0. We hosted harrop's Port Vale next. We had the best of the first half but couldn't score. A Sears double in the second half either side of O'Leary getting sent off gave us a 2-0 win. It was away to George's Aldershot next. We played well in this game. Carroll gave us the lead in the first half and Forrester doubled it with 20 minutes left to give us a 2-0 win. Brentford at home followed. Carroll scored in the first half to put us in front. Sears came off the bench in the second half to score a great individual goal and give us another 2-0 win.

Rotherham away was our next match. After a pretty dull first half Carroll gave us the lead 10 minutes into the second half. We only held the lead for 10 minutes before Rotherham equalised. We hit the post twice in the time that left but couldn't find a goal and had to settle for a 1-1 draw. The session finished at home to Dag & Red. This was a poor game that we won 1-0 thanks to a goal from Sears at the start of the second half. This leaves us in 15th place with 15 games left, 9 points from the play offs.

Thursday's session started away at Bradford. We were awful in this game and lost 2-0. It was Gillingham at home next. We made a slow start and fell behind early on before Noel-Williams equalised after half an hour. We were struggling in the second half. We put on an extra striker and it paid dividends as Forrester scored twice to give us a 3-1 win. Wycombe at home followed. We had the best of the first half but went in 1-0 down. We had the better of the second half and Forrester equalised with 15 minutes left to make it 1-1 and salvage a point.

We were away to Exeter next. This was quite an even game that swung in our favour as a result of 2 goal keeping mistakes. Forrester was first to capitalise before Weston scored with 7 minutes left to give us a 2-0 win. We travelled to face Rochdale next. We struggled in this game and lost 1-0 to a goal in the first half. Bournemouth at home followed. We fell behind early on. Shortly after half time we were reduced to 10 men when Cevasco was sent off. 15 minutes later Delfouneso, on his debut, equalised. We were dominating the game at this point only to concede late on and lose 2-1.

It was Morecambe away next. We were poor for about an hour or so of this game and found ourselves 2-0 down. Noel-Williams pulled one back with 10 minutes to go and then equalised 7 minutes into stoppage time to salvage a point in a 2-2 draw. We looked to get back to winning ways at home to Lincoln. This game was all about one player as Noel-Williams scored a fine first half hat trick to give us a 3-0 win.

This left us 15th place with 7 games to go.

Monday's session started at Chester. This was a tight game that went in our favour thanks to a Clapham penalty in the first half and a late strike from Carroll making it 2-0. Bury at home followed. We went behind to a bizarre goal before a double from Delfouneso made it 2-1 at half time. We didn't play as well in the second half and Bury equalised late on to make the final score 2-2. Luton away followed. This game was a lot closer than the final score line indicates. We started poorly and were 2-0 after 10 minutes. We pulled one back thanks to an og at the start of the second half. We had a few chances to equalise but couldn't take them and then conceded late on to lose 3-1.

It was home to Darlington next. We took an early lead thanks to a screamer from Fairclough. Darlington equalised in first half stoppage time with a stunning hit. We had the best of the second half and Delfouneso scored late on to make it 2-1 and give us the win. We were away to Stan's Macclesfield next. We produced one of our best first half performances of the season as goals from Noel-Williams, Nowland, Noel-Williams again and Fairclough saw us go in 4-1 up. The second half was pretty much a non event. Macclesfield managed to pull one back late on but we ran out 4-2 winners.

We were home to John's Chesterfield next. We fell behind midway through the first half before goals from Noel-Williams and Mackenzie, both from corners, put us 2-1 up at half time. Chesterfield equalised at the start of the second half before Noel-Williams restored our lead. Mayo scored a penalty to put us 4-2 up before Chesterfield pulled another one back late on. We held on for a 4-3 win. The final game of the season was at home to Grimsby. We fell behind to an og before Carroll equalised just before half time. We fell behind again before Noel-Williams equalised. We threw everything at Grimsby to try and find the winner but couldn't find it and drew 2-2. A win in this game would have seen us qualify for the play offs.

We finished the season in 10th place. This was a fairly good season. We finished higher than predicted and higher than the board expected. If we hadn't made such a sluggish start we would have made the play offs. With a few signings in key areas I think we will be challenging for promotion next season.

David Harrop - Port Vale

Following on from my last post we had about 10 games left of the season and I said that if we could play well we could still make the playoffs, we did have a great run of results climbing into the playoffs with a few games left but we had some bad results in those games but thankfully so did the teams below us so we managed to finishing 7th.

In our playoff semi we played Bradford with the 1st leg being away, we played the best we had played all season in a away game and won 4nil, the 2nd leg was a lot closer and to be honest Bradford where probably the better team but we still managed to win 1nil (5nil on agg). In the final we face Brentford, they took the lead early on but we equalized late in the 1st half, the 2nd half was close but they took the lead again with about 15mins left so I went all out attack and created a host of good opportunities (2or3 clear cut chances) but we where unable to score and lost 2-1, on reflection of the game we should have won or at least took it into extra time (worst time to be unlucky).

Onto next season I will look to trim the numbers getting rid of a lot of the reserve players hopefully creating a bit of money and at the same time reducing the wages (currently 3k over our budget), I will try and bring in a few top players (for the division) and bring in a number of good loans to make the numbers, I am looking to have 6 to 9 top players (on a grand or 2 a week) of my own with 4 long term loans and a few short term loans to make up my 1st team with a dozen or so youngsters on minimum wages in case of a mass of injuries (good in theory). Of the 6 or so top players I feel we have maybe 5: Rebosio, Griffith, Moreno, Kalonas, Guzman (recently learned to 'place shots' and just before the end of the season all his attributes improved making him look very good at this level) we also have a few more who are decent but if a offer comes in I will sell them.

I feel the reason we did not get promoted last season was down to me altering formations to much early on in the season and by the time I had sorted it out we where to far behind to catch up the top 3 (and got a bit unlucky in the playoff final) but if all goes well and we get a bit of luck when we need it (keeping Guzman fit would be good, he got injured a lot last season) I will be aiming for a top 3 finish and therefore promotion to League 1.

The close season saw several coming and goings. We brought in 9 bosman and 4 loan signings and saw 4 players leave on free transfers.

The first game of the new season was at home to Accrington. We got off to a great start when Clapham scored after 10 minutes. We had the best of the first half and went in 1-0 up. We didn't play as well in the second half but held on to win 1-0. It was the League Cup next where we travelled to face Norwich in a repeat of last season's draw. We didn't play that badly in this game but every time we lost the ball we seemed to get punished as Norwich won 3-0. Bournemouth away followed. Noel-Williams gave us an early lead only for us to be pegged back immediately. Delfouneso restored our lead 60 seconds later only for us to concede again immediately. Bournemouth then scored just before half time. Aubanel equalised from the spot with 18 minutes left. We were only on level terms for 5 minutes before Bournemouth scored what turned out to be the winner as it finished 4-3.

Lincoln at home was next up. We played well in this game and a Noel-Williams strike just before half time was enough to give us a 1-0 win. Rotherham away was next. We never really got started in this game and lost 1-0. Barnet at home followed. We played pretty well in this game and won 4-2 thanks to a hat trick from O'Connor and a penalty from Ndo. Hereford away was next up. Yet again we struggled on our travels as we went down 2-0.

This leaves us in 12th place, 4 points off the top after 6 games. If we can start picking up points on the road we could have a good season.

Thursday's session started at home to Chester. We dominated this game from start to finish but could not find a goal until 4 minutes from time when Hines scored to give us a 1-0 win. It was another home game as we hosted Torquay. A first half Noel-Williams hat trick was enough to give us a 3-0 win. It was away to Dagenham & Redbridge next. We went behind when our keeper scored an own goal. Goals from O'Connor & Noel-Williams turned it around and we went in 2-1 up. A goal late on in the second half from Ndo sealed our first away points of the season in a 3-1 win.

It was the JPT next as we hosted Harrop's Port Vale. This was a very tight, even game. A first half strike from Weston gave us a 1-0 win. Back to league duty and we travelled to play Wycombe. We were terrible losing 3-1 with O'Connor getting our consolation when we were 3-0 down. Bury at home followed. We didn't play as well in this game as previous home games and had to settle for a point after Delfouneso equalised late on. Exeter away was next. O'Connor scored to give us an early lead. We really struggled after that and Exeter equalised with 20 minutes left. We managed to hold on for a 1-1 draw.

Bradford at home followed. We started slowly and ultimately paid the price as Bradford scored in the first half to win 1-0. We had back to back away games, starting with Yeovil. We were awful in this game and crashed to a 2-0 defeat. Grimsby was next and we struggled badly again losing 2-1 with Forrester getting our late consolation. We then had a run of 4 consecutive home games in all competitions, starting with Stockport in the JPT. Noel-Williams gave us an early lead before O'Connor doubled our advantage. Stockport pulled one back before Cevasco scored to give us a 3-1 half time lead. Stockport pulled one back at the start of the second half but we managed to hold on to progress with a 3-2 win.

It was the FA Cup next when Retford visited. We produced a stunning first half performance and went in 4-0 up thanks to goals from Cevasco, Ndo and an O'Connor double. Not much happened in the second half and we won 4-0. Back to the league and we hosted Chesterfield. Another good display saw us run out 3-0 winners with a double from Clapham and one from Cevasco. The last of our 4 home games in a row was Darlington. We played well again and first half goals from O'Connor and Bennett gave us a 2-0 win.

We finished the session away to Harrop's Port Vale. Bennet gave us the lead after 2 minutes. We really struggled in this game and Vale equalised midway through the second half. We managed to hold on for a 1-1 draw. This leaves us in 7th place after 18 games.

Monday's session started the same way Thursday's finished as we travelled to play Harrop's Port Vale, this time in the FA Cup. Bennett gave us the lead again, but that was as good as it would get. We were awful for the rest of the game and conceded 4 to find ourselves 4-1 down. Hines pulled one back in stoppage time to make the final slightly more respectable but we still crashed out losing 4-2. We hosted league leaders Huddersfield next. We were having the best of the game for an hour before it all went horribly wrong. We conceded 2 goals and were reduced to 10 men. Noel-Williams pulled one back before O'Connor equalised with 4 minutes to go. We had a chance to snatch the win but had to settle for a 2-2 draw.

Rushden away followed. This was a tight game during which we could not take our chances. We were made to pay as Rushden scored in stoppage time to win 1-0. It was the JPT next as we travelled to Hartlepool. We played well in the first half and went in level at 1-1 thanks to an equaliser from Noel-Williams. Hartlepool went in front at the start of the second half. We had chances to equalise but couldn't take them and went out losing 2-1. Morecambe away was next. We had a shocking first half and went in 3-1 down with O'Connor pulling one back. Noel-Williams reduced the defect at the start of the second half before we conceded a 4th. O'Connor pulled one back late on but it wasn't enough and we lost 4-3.

We looked to get back to winning ways at home to MK Dons. A good first half performance saw us go in 2-0 up thanks to an own goal and a goal from Noel-Williams. Cevasco added a third just after half time. MK Dons pulled one back but we hung onto win 3-1. Accrington away followed. We played really well in this game and we ran out 2-0 winners thanks to a double from Cevasco. We hosted Bournemouth next. We made a shocking start and found ourselves 2-0 down. O'Connor pulled one back before half time. Soley equalised from the spot with 15 minutes to go. Unfortunately we weren't on level times for very long as Bournemouth scored 2 minutes later. We had chances to equalise again but did couldn't take them and we lost 3-2.

This leaves us in 10th place after 24 games, 3 points from the play offs and only 6 points from 2nd place.

Monday's session, after we had Christmas off, started away at Gillingham. An even first half saw us go in level thanks to a Mayo penalty. Cevasco restored our lead at the start of the second half before O'Connor made it 3-1. It looked as if that would be enough until Gillingham pulled one back with 10 minutes to go before they equalised in stoppage time to make the final score 3-3. Lincoln away followed. Sio gave us an early lead before Lincoln equalised before half time. O'Connor scored what turned out to be the winner at the start of the second half to give us a 2-1 win.

Rotherham at home was next up. We went behind to an early goal before Cole equalised. Rotherham scored again to take the lead just before half time. We dominated the second half and did everything but score as we lost 2-1. It was Barnet away next. We struggled in this game but managed to salvage a 2-2 draw thanks to a Cole double. We looked to get back to winning ways at home to Hereford. We didn't play well in this game but managed to win 3-0 thanks to goals from Aubanel, O'Connor & Edwards.

Chester away followed. This was a game which we controlled only to lose 1-0 to a late goal. We looked to bounce back at home to Dagenham & Redbridge. We played well in this game and goals from Cevasco & Cole gave us a 2-0 win. We travelled to play the bottom club Torquay next. This was a really frustrating game as we dominated but could not find a goal and ended up drawing 0-0.

This leaves us in 8th place after 32 games, 1 point from the play offs and 9 from 2nd. If we can string a run of results together we can still get promoted.

The first session of the New Year started at home to Wycombe. We were terrible in the first half and lucky to go in level. We were much better in the second half and goals from O'Connor and Sio gave us a 2-0 win. Bury away followed. This was a very tight game with both sides having chances but falling to take them and it finished 0-0. We hosted Exeter next. We were much better in this game and won 3-0 thanks to an O'Connor hat trick.

Bradford away followed. This was a poor game that looked to be heading for a draw until Hines scored in stoppage time to give us a 1-0 win. Yeovil were our next visitors. We didn't play badly in this game but somehow managed to lose 3-1 with our goal coming from Cevasco. We travelled to play Darlington next. We played really well in this game and won 3-0 with goals from Weston & a Hines double. It was home to Grimsby next. We didn't play very well in this game and had to settle for a 1-1 draw with O'Connor getting our goal,

It was Chesterfield away next. We were terrible again and were lucky to come away with a 0-0 draw. We hosted Rushden to finish the night. We played well in this game but could not find a goal and had to settle for another 0-0 draw. This has left us in 6th place with 5 games to go. Automatic promotion is now unlikely but a decent end to the season should get us into the play offs.

Thursday's session started with a big game as we hosted harrop's Port Vale. We played well in the first half and went in 2-1 up with both goals form O'Connor. O'Coonor completed his hat trick at the start of the second half. Port Vale pulled one back before Aubanel restored our 2 goal advantage. Sio rounded off the scoring late on to give us a 5-2 win. We were at the league leaders Huddersfield next. We were out played for all of this game but thanks to some good defending we managed a point in a 0-0 draw.

Morecambe at home was next. We were awful in this game but somehow won 3-1 with a double from Hines and won from Edwards. It was MK Dons away next. We were dire again and lost 1-0 to a goal just before half time. The final game of the league season was at home to Gillingham where we needed a point to be certain of a ply off spot. We played really well and won 4-1 with goals from Aubanel, Hines and an O'Connor double to secure our place in the play offs.

We drew Bury in the play offs with the first leg away from home. We didn't play well and lost 2-0, with the second goal being a shocking own goal. The home leg followed 3 days later. We had the best of the first half but went in at 0-0. Just on half time our left back got injured so I decided to put on a striker and go 3 up. It paid off instantly as Noel-Williams scored twice to level the tie. We continued to dominate and Hines scored in the 79th minute to put us 3-0 up and leading 3-2 on aggregate. We held on to progress to the play off final.

Our opponents in the final were Bradford City. We were brilliant in the first half and went in 2-0 up thanks to goals from Hines & O'Connor. Everything was looking good until Bradford scored with 7 minutes to go. It still looked as if we would go up deep into stoppage time only for Bradford to equalise 4 minutes into stoppage time. We dominated extra time but couldn't convert any of our chances so it went to penalties. We lost 4-1.

Overall this was a good season, even if it did end in heartbreak. Hopefully with the addition of a few players in key areas we will be able to build on this and go one better next season and we will win promotion.

David Harrop-Port Vale

So after a disappointing 1st season as manager of Port Vale I thought the second season could only get better, well I was wrong and after a terrible start of the season the board sacked me just before Christmas as we were 17th in the table. The reasons I believe I got sacked was due to the fact I completely rebuilt the squad and even though it is now alot better it always takes time for new players to gel, also I played with the formation a few times which never helps.

Anyway the HAM Clan rules gave me 3 options after I got the sack - 1) Wait for a new job. 2) Retire and take control of a club lower in the league than your last team when you got sacked. 3) Retake the job you were sacked from.

New beginning

Dave Harrop takes control of Port Vale ;)

The reason I re-took the Port Vale job was I felt it had a strong squad with decent potential. As I said before I brought in alot of new players, the best of these were - R.Duffy, R.Simpson,K.McKenna and S.Williamson these are all very good players at this level, I also brought in some good loans (we also added G.Hoyte,S.Vaida, F.Kroos in January).

The second half of the season was alot better as we took them to a 8th place finish, but I was still a bit annoyed as we drew our 2nd to last game which cost us a playoff place.

We finished the last session just before the reopening of the transfer window but I have already signed B.Balint, D.Livermore, G.Barreto and M.Gevasco and all will join on the 1st July. I felt we needed 1 top centre midfielder but in D.Livermore and M.Gevasco I have signed 2, this will mean at least 1 of my current midfielder will have to be sold. The wage budget will be very high with the new signings but with 10 or so fringe players contracts expiring and if I can sell 1 or 2 others we should be ok and hopefully under the limit.

With the new additions (Livermore etc.), I am happy with the squad I doubt I will be making many other signing so hopefully the squad will be fully gelled come the start of the season and we will go all guns blazing from the very 1st game.

For next season I told the board that we would win the league as this gave me an extra 2k a week on the wage budget (I just hope if I finish 2nd or 3rd they will not sack me) and with the team we have I think its doable I just need to find the right tactics and keep the players moral up, the tactics/formation I was using to the end of the season worked very well so I am going to use that at home with a more defensive counter-attacking tactics/formation away.

The close season saw the usual comings and goings. We lost 5 players, including Cevasco, and brought in 10 including Jon Parkin. We started the season away at Barnet. We played well in the first half and went in 2-1 up thanks to a free kick from Aubanel and an O'Connor strike. We continued to play well and Ndo scored to make it the final score 3-1 and get us off to the perfect start. It was the League Cup next as we hosted Middlesbrough. We didn't play well in the first half and were lucky to only be 1-0 down at half time. We played better in the second half and just when it looked like we would go out Djilali equalised with 3 minutes left. Boro took the lead at the start of extra time before adding a 3rd as we went all out attack. Fairclough pulled one back but we couldn't find an equaliser and lost 3-2.

It was back to the League as we travelled to face Crewe. We had a shocker but rescued a point thanks to late equaliser from O'Connor. We played host to Hereford next. This was a very tight game between 2 teams that had started well. It looked like it was going to finish as a draw until Dowson came off the bench to score and give us a 1-0 win. Northampton at home was next. We played well and ran out comfortable 2-0 winners with Parkin getting his first goals for us with a double. It was the JPT next as we hosted Chesterfield. This was possibly the dullest game ever as it finished 0-0 after 90 minutes without a shot on target. We managed to go through 5-4 on penalties.

Back to league duty and we travelled to Luton. This was a tight game that was decided in our favour when Fairclough scored on the hour to give us a 1-0 win. It was Rochdale at home next. We played well in the first half and went in 1-0 up thanks to Parkin. We were awful in the second half and conceded 2 goals to lose 2-1. Another home game followed as we played host to Brentford. This was a very tight game that looked like it would finish level until we conceded in the last minute to lose 1-0. We looked to bounce back away at Chester. We played well in the first half and went in 1-0 thanks to a Parkin goal. We were terrible in the second half and found ourselves 2-1 down after 10 minutes of it. Parkin was sent off with 10 minutes left and it looked as if we would lose, then Djilali popped up in the last minute to salvage a point and make it 2-2.

We kept looking for the win at home to Bury. We struggled again and ended up with a 1-1 draw after O'Connor had given us the lead. It was the JPT next as we travelled to play Stockport. We didn't play well in this game and crashed out losing 2-0. It was Histon at home in the league next. We went behind early on but a Church double put us 2-1 up at half time. We struggled in the second half but held on to record a much needed 2-1 win.

This has been a solid start to the season. We were top after 5 games but then went 4 league games without a win. We are 8th after 10 games, only 6 points from top spot.

Monday's session started away at Rotherham. We were awful in the first half which combined with everything Rotherham hit going in saw us 4-0 down at half time. Goals from Church & Ndo restored some respectability and made the final score 5-2 to Rotherham. We looked to bounce back at away to Exeter. Another shocking performance saw us lose 1-0. It was Accrington at home next.We were much better in the first half and went in 2-0 up thanks to goals from O'Connor and Noel-Williams. We didn't play as well in the second half but Parkin scored midway through it to make the final score 3-0. It was MK Dons away next. We were shocking for 85 minutes and were lucky to find ourselves only 1-0 down. Aubanel equalised with a stunning free kick. Then 2 minutes later O'Connor popped up to put us 2-1 up. We held on for the remaining few minutes and we won 2-1.

Rushden at home followed. We were awful in this game but managed to hold on for a 0-0 draw. It was the FA Cup next where we played host to Mansfield. We played really well in this game and goals from Church, Noel-Williams and Griffin gave us a 3-0 win. We were away to Morecambe next. It was League duty again as we hosted Chesterfield. We played well in this game and won 3-1 thanks to goals from Naughton, Church & O'Connor. We finished the session away to Chester in the FA Cup. We had an absolute shocker and were dumped out of the cup as we lost 5-1, Ndo getting our consolation from the spot late on.

This leaves us in 7th place, 9 points from top spot and 4 from the final automatic promotion spot, after 17 games.

Thursday's session started away at Wycombe. We were terrible in the first half and went in 2-1 down with our goal coming from Church. We were better in the second half but couldn't find a goal and lost 2-1. I was offered the Bournemouth job before our next game at home to Yeovil, and asked for a couple of weeks to think it over. We dominated this game but could not take our chances and had to settle for a 1-1 draw after Noel-Williams had put us in front. It was home to Darlington next. We were much better in this game and won 1-0 thanks to a Noel-Williams goal midway through the second half. At this point I rejected the Bournemouth job as I felt there was more chance of Notts County being in League ONe next season!!

Grimsby away was next. We were having a shocker and found ourselves 2-0 down with 10 minutes to go. O'connor then pulled one back to give us a chance before Sio levelled in the last minute. Noel-Williams nearly won it for us in stoppage time but his shot came back of the bar and it finished 2-2. We hosted Lincoln next. Aubanel gave us an early lead. Lincoln levelled before Noel-Williams restored our lead. Lincoln equalised again at the start of the second half. We battered them for the rest of the game but couldn't find a way through. Then 4 minutes into stoppage time we were awarded a penalty which Aubanel converted to give us a 3-2 win.

Crewe were our next visitors. We played pretty well in this game but could not take our chances and lost 1-0 to a goal on the half hour mark. We travelled to face Harrop's Port Vale away next. We struggled in the first half and went in 1-0 down. 5 minutes into the second half our left back got injured and I decided to put on an extra striker as his replacement. It paid off immediately as Dowson scored within 3 minutes of coming on. The rest of the game was fairly even and we held on for a 1-1 draw.

This leaves us in 6th place after 24 games, 10 points from automatic promotion.

Monday's session started at home to Barnet. After a disappointing first half we played much better in the second half but conceded with 20 minutes to go. We had plenty of chances to equalise but couldn't take any and we lost 1-0. Hereford away followed. We played better in this game and managed to win 1-0 thanks to an Ndo strike midway through the second half. Northampton away was next. This was quite possibly the worst performance of the season so far. We never got started and found ourselves 4-0 down after 13 minutes. We did manage to play out the rest of the game without conceding again but we never looked like scoring and lost 4-0.

We looked to bounce back at home to Luton. Goals from Ndo & Weston gave us an early lead. Not a lot happened after that and we held on to win 2-0. It was back to back away games next starting at Rochdale. We were brilliant in the first half and went in 2-0 up thanks to an O'Connor double. Unfortunately we were awful in the second half and conceded 3 goals to lose 3-2. Brentford away followed. We played well in the first half again and went in 2-0 up thanks to Noel-Williams & Karlamoff. We conceded a goal at the start of the second half and I thought we were going to throw it away again. We managed to hold on to win 2-1.

It was Chester at home next. We were terrible in this game and we were lucky to escape with a 0-0 draw. Histon away followed. We played well in the first half and went in 1-0 up thanks to Dowson. We struggled in the second half but held on to win 1-0. This leaves us in 6th place after 32 games, 2 points clear of 8th and 8 points behind 3rd place.

David Harrop - Port Vale

We finished the last session towards the end of February and we look almost guaranteed of promotion and should finish top as we are 20 points above 4th and 13 above 2nd with 14 games left, 5 or 6 more wins should be enough to secure the title but I am aiming for 100+ points finish.

During the January transfer window I sold Griffith (centre mid) as he was not getting a game and he was on over 1k a week, this has made the midfield very stable with Livermore playing left midfield, Kalonas and Cevasco in centre midfield, Vaida on the right and 3 players as backups who cover each position. The defence is also very good with Daniels at left back, Williamson and Hoyte (player of the season so far) at centre back,Duffy at right back and 2 players as backups which like the midfield has the ability of 2 players per position (the whole defence has been brilliant all season only conceding about 0.7 goals per game). The attack is where the team is a bit disjointed as we have 6 players vying for 2 positions, I usually want 3.5 (the .5 being a player who can also play in another position) 1st team forwards, I have already trained Kroos as a centre midfielder (so he is my .5) so that means I should sell 2 out of Simpson 26yo, Guzman 22yo, Bajner 19yo, Perez 20yo (who signed 1st Feb) and Barreto 18yo, I want to keep both Perez and Barreto but of the the other 3 it may depend on how much I can get for them.

As I said I am very optimistic about getting promoted this season so I am almost starting to think about next season and where we may need to strengthen and I believe we will only need a couple of players to become competitive in league one, but I will need to improve my staff as we only have a few coaches and my assistant manager isn't the greatest.

Thursday's session started at home to Rotherham. We took the lead just before half time when Weston scored. Rotherham equalised at the start of the second half. Weston restored our lead with 18 minutes to go. It looked like we would hold out for the win until Rotherham scored 4 minutes into stoppage time to make the final score 2-2. We were in the midst of an injury crisis as we travelled to face Bury. We fell behind early on before Parkin equalised mid way through the half. We fell behind again just before half time when our keeper made a shocking mistake from a cross. We played much better in the second half and equalised with 10 minutes left thanks to Noel-William to make the final score 2-2.

Exeter at home followed. We didn't play that well in this game but were clinical in front of goal. Goals from Noel-Williams, Parkin & Naughton gave us a 3-1 win. Accrington away was next. We were struggling in this game until Church came off the bench and scored twice to give us a 2-0 win. We looked to continue our good run at home to MK Dons. We were terrible and got hammered 5-2 with our goals coming from Noel-Williams & Church. We looked to bounce back at Rushden. We had another shocker and lost 3-1 with Karlamoff getting our consolation. Chesterfield away followed. A brilliant first half saw us go in 3-1 up thanks to goals from Soley, O'Connor & Noel-Williams. We weren't as good in the second half but Edwards scored late on to make the final score 4-1.

It was back to back home games next starting with Wycombe. We made a shocking start and were 2-0 down after only 7 minutes. Goals from Noel-Williams & O'Connor had us level at half time. We had chances to win it in the second half but had to settle for a 2-2 draw. Morecambe was next up. A stunning first half hat trick from Church saw us go in 3-0 up. We conceded a goal in the second half but held on to win 3-1. We travelled to face Yeovil next. We didn't play well in this game but thanks to a first half double from Church we won 2-0. Grimsby at home followed. We played well and won 1-0 thanks to a first half goal from Ndo.

A Church double in the first 4 minutes saw us 2-0 up. That was as good as it got as we then stopped playing and got hammered. We were 4-2 down by half time and conceded another 2 late on to lose 6-2. We hosted harrop's Port Vale next, who had already won the league. Port Vale had more possession in the first half but clinical finishing saw us go in 3-1 up with goals from Soley & a Church double. The second half followed a similar pattern but we managed to hold on and won 3-1. This game secured our play off spot. The final game of the league season was away to Lincoln. First half goals from Church & Parkin gave us a 2-0 win.

We were drawn against Brentford in the play offs with the first leg away from home. We didn't play particularly well in the first game but nearly won after Church gave us the lead before Brentford equalised late on to make it 1-1. The second leg followed. Goals from Church & Sio had us 2-0 up and cruising. We conceded a goal shortly before half time but it looked as if we would hang on until Brentford scored with 7 minutes left. We had chances to win the game in normal time and extra time but couldn't take them and it went to penalties. After an epic shootout we scrapped through 7-6.

The final saw us play Rotherham. We started poorly and were 2-0 down after 40 minutes. Sio pulled one back in first half stoppage time to give us a chance. Soley equalised with a screamer 2 minutes into the second half. We were still struggling but managed to get to full time without conceding to force extra time. Sio struck 2 minutes into stoppage time before Djilali scored 2 minutes into the second half of extra time to give us a fabulous 4-2 win and secure promotion.

In the end this was a successful season as the main aim of promotion was achieved. I fully expect next season to be a struggle against relegation especially as we have no money to spend.

David Harrop-Port Vale

Following on from my last post, we won the League with 103 points, it should have been more but the performances dropped off straight after we were made champions.

As the transfer window re-opened I was only looking for one or two good players but it was almost impossible to sign anybody as the board only allowed me the same wage limit as last season but all my players got a big wage increase after promotion therefore putting us 12k over our 27k limit.

As we are alot over our wage budget the board sold my best right back (Duffy) for 500k, this was a decent amount of money for a player in league 1 but the board gave me none of it which still ment we couldn't really sign any good players which pretty much means we went into the new season weaker than we were last season in league 2. Just before we finished on Thursday I did manage to bring a couple of fringe players and a few loans to add depth to the squad and with a week or so of the window left I will try and sell a few players to balance the books.

By the end of the last session we had played 3 league and 1 cup games which we have won 1 league game and lost the rest but we played quite well in all the games so I feel confident we can stay away from relegation.

The close season saw the usual comings and goings as I tried to build a squad capable of staying in League One. We started at home to Bristol City. We played well in the first half but went in 1-0 down. Sparrow equalised on the hour mark only for us to go behind again 10 minutes later. Parkin equalised again with 13 minutes to go. We had a couple of chances to win the game but had to settle for a 2-2 draw. It was the League Cup next as we played host to Preston. After a dull first half O'Connor gave us the lead at the start of the second half. It didn't last long as Preston equalised a few minutes later. The rest of the game was fairly even and was level after 90 minutes and extra time meaning it went to penalties, which we lost 4-2.

Hartlepool away was next. Again we played quite well in this game but some slack defending and some poor finishing saw us lose 2-1 with Parkin getting our goal. Another way day followed at Blackpool. We made a shocking start and found ourselves 2-0 down early on. Parkin pulled one back before half time to give us a chance, We created a couple of chances to equalise but could not take them and we lost 2-1.

This has left us in 22nd place after 3 games with only 1 point. We haven't played badly in any game yet which is promising we just need to be more clinical at cut out the stupid mistakes.

Monday's session started at home to Rochdale. This was a poor game with neither team playing particularly well. We probably had the best chance of the game but the opposition keeper made a great save and it finished 0-0. It was the JPT next as we travelled to face Walsall. A solid performance saw us win 2-0 thanks to a double from Kandol. We were away to George's Peterborough next. An early mistake by our 3rd choice keeper saw us lose 1-0 even playing against 10 men for 25 minutes. We kept looking for our first league win of the season at home to Bradford. We were awful in this game and got hammered 3-0.

We were away to league leaders Swindon next. We were outplayed from start to finish and lost 2-1 with Noel-Williams getting our consolation. Another difficult game followed as we played Carlisle at home. We played much better in this game and dominated for long periods. Unfortunately we could not find a goal and had to settle for a 0-0 draw. Aldershot away was next up. We played fairly well but lost 2-1 with Kandol getting our goal after we went 2-0 down. It was the JPT next as we travelled to face Hereford. We played well and won 1-0 thanks to an early goal from Kandol.

Back to league duty as we travelled to play Shrewsbury. We were shocking in the first half and went in 2-0 down. Dominguez pulled one back late on but we conceded again to lose 3-1. The final game of the session saw us play host to Gillingham. We were brilliant in this game and went in 3-1 up at half time with goals from Ibrahim, O'Connor & Sio. We dominated the second half as well but couldn't add any more goals and won 3-1, our first win of the season.

This has left us in 23td place after 11 games, but still in the JPT. If we can start to score a few more goals I think we will be fine.

Thursday's session started at home to Colchester. We struggled in the first half but goals from O'Connor & Kandol saw us go in 2-1 up. We conceded a penalty on the hour mark which our keeper saved, but Colchester scored the rebound to equalise. We had chances to win the game but couldn't take then and had to settle for a 2-2 draw. Bristol City away followed. We started poorly and found ourselves 2-0 down after half an hour. Kandol pulled one back before half time to give us hope. We dominated the second half and did everything but score and we lost 2-1. It was the local derby next as we hosted Notts Forest. We made a shocking start, again, and found ourselves 2-0 down after 13 minutes. Parkin pulled one back with 25 minutes to go before Dominguez equalised in the 90th minute only for Forest to score 5 minutes into 4 minutes of stoppage time to win 3-2.

We were away at Preston next. An own goal and a strike from Parkin put us 2-1 up at half time. It looked as if we would hold on for the win until Preston equalised with 3 minutes to go to make the final score 2-2. It was the JPT next as we travelled to Shrewsbury. Parkin & O'Connor gave us an early 2 goal lead only for us to have blown it by half time as we went in level at 2-2. Things got even worse as we fell behind at the start of the second half. Sio levelled a few minutes later before Parkin put us back into the lead. O'Connor converted a penalty in stoppage time to give us a 5-3 win to go into the next round.

It was the FA Cup next as we travelled to face Notts Forest in another local derby. We played well in this game and goals from O'Connor & Parkin gave us a fine 2-0 win. It was back to league duty next as we hosted Oldham. We fell behind to an early goal. Mellis equalised in first half stoppage time. Both teams had chances to win it in the second half but couldn't take them and it finished 1-1. We travelled to play Norwich next. Parkin gave us an early lead before it all went horribly wrong as Norwich scored 3 to take a 3-1 lead at half time. Dominguez pulled one back at the start of the second half before we conceded again. Parkin got his second with 12 minutes left but we couldn't find a 4th and lost 4-3.

It was the FA Cup next as we travelled to play George's Peterborough. This was a tight game but we conceded a goal in each half to lose 2-0. We hosted Crewe next. We played really well in this game and ran our comfortable 2-0 winners thanks to goals from O'Connor & Parkin. Huddersfield away followed. We didn't play well at all in this game and lost 2-1 with Parkin getting our goal. The final game of the session was at home to Millwall in the JPT. We made a great start and were 2-0 up after 22 minutes thanks to Parkin & Kandol. Millwall pulled one back before half time. It looked like we would hold on until Millwall scored in the 89th minute. It went to penalties and we won 4-2.

We are 24th after 19 games, 4 points from safety at the moment. We are also in the progress of a boardroom takeover so who knows what Monday's session will bring.

Monday's session started at Harrop's Port Vale. This was a tight game with neither team really dominating the game and it finished 0-0. We had 3 consecutive home games after this starting with Cheltenham. We produced a brilliant performance and won 2-0 thanks to an own goal and a late header from Noel-Williams. Hartlepool were next. We played poorly in the first half and went in 1-0 down. 2 goals in 5 second half minutes from Dominguez and O'Connor turned the game around and gave us a 2-1 win. The final of our 3 consecutive home games was against Millwall. We were terrible in the first half and went in 3-0 down. We were marginally better in the second half and Kandol scored in stoppage time to make the final score 3-1 to Millwall.

We looked to bounce back away to Stockport. We struggled in the first half and went in 1-0 down. Naughton equalised with a miss hit cross from the byline before an own goal gave us the lead. Davies scored in stoppage time to give us a 3-1 win. Bristol City away was next. O'Connor gave us the lead inside 60 seconds. City pegged us back midway through the first half. Livermore scored with just under 15 minutes to go only for City to equalise 5 minutes later. Neither side had chances to win and it finished 2-2. We played well in this game and won 3-2 thanks to a Parkin double and one from O'Connor. Rochdale away followed. Despite taking an early lead thanks to Noel-Williams we struggled in this game and were fortunate to get a point in a 1-1 draw.

It was the JPT next as we travelled to face Bristol City. We played really well in first half and went in 3-1 up thanks to goals from Noel-Williams, Parkin and an own goal. Parkin missed a penalty before City pulled one back. We held on to take a 3-2 lead into the second leg. We hosted Peterborough next. We were poor in the first half and went in 1-0 down.

Parkin equalised before Sio gave us the lead. Peterborough equalised with 10 minutes to go. Parkin struck in the final minute to give us a 3-2 win. Bradford away followed. We struggled against a team challenging for promotion and lost 2-0.

Swindon at home was next up. We struggled in this game and were 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go. 2 goals in 5 minutes from Sio & O'Connor looked to have turned the game in our favour only to concede a goal in stoppage time to make the final score 2-2. The final game of the session was away to Carlisle, who had approached me to be their new manager but I had turned it down. Carlisle took an early lead before O'Connor equalised 2 minutes later. Carlisle scored against o take a 2-1 lead at half time. O'Connor scored twice in 4 minutes to put is 3-2 up. It looked like we would hold on until Carlisle equalised with 8 minutes to go making it 3-3.

This leaves us in 20th place after 31 games, 2 games clear of the relegation spot. I think we have a great chance of staying up now which would be a major achievement. We are also in with a great chance of making the JPT final.

David Harrop - Port Vale

So after a 3 year stay on the lowest stage of the football league we started the new 2011/12 season back in league 1, we had little chance of adding any players of quality during the pre-seasons as we could only bring in loans and free transfers to the squad as we had no money (so no change there), so not only did we go in to a higher league without improving the team the board sold my best (and only real) right back Duffy for 500k and kept it all to there selves.

Even though we went into the new season weaker than last season but in a higher league I still felt we had enough quality to survive and maybe finish in the lower half of mid-table.

We started the season playing quite well but not getting the results we deserved leaving us in the lower half of the league after 6 or 7 games which was very respectful for a newly promoted team but we should have picked up alot more points. We continued to play well but now the results matched the performances and we started to move up the table and by the time Christmas came along we had sneaked into the playoffs. At this point Barreto was starting to show his potential scoring back to back hat tricks but then suffered a broken leg keeping him out for the rest of the season, luckily we had alot of strikers at that time but it was a shame as I have high hopes for him and he had just started to find his feet. At the start of the new year we carried on playing brilliant effective football winning the majority of our games and we currently sit proudly on top of the league 8 points above second with a game in hand with just 4 games left of the season.

Last season I felt we had by far the best team in league 2 and we won the league convincingly but this season we have played far beyond what I expected at the start of the season but we have played superbly and deserve to be top of the league.

I never like to count my chickens but we only need to pick up 5 points from our last 5 games to guarantee back to back league titles and promotion to the Championship (3 points should be enough to get promoted as we have a far better goal difference over 3rd place).

If/when we get promoted to the Championship the squad will need strengthening, but to bring in alot of players into a squad at any one time can harm the squad more than help it even if the players are of a higher quality, so next season it will probably be better if we add just a few new faces and try to survive.

Monday's session started away at fellow relegation strugglers Gillingham. We had an absolute shocker and lost 2-0. It was the second leg of the JPT South semi final next as we hosted Bristol City. We produced another shocking performance and lost 4-1, O'Connor getting our goal, and crashed out 6-4 on aggregate. Back to league duty and we hosted Shrewsbury. After going behind early we played really well in the first half and went in level after Soley equalised. We struggled in the second half and conceded with 13 minutes to go to lose 2-1.

Another home game followed when Aldershot were the visitors. We were poor in the first half and went in 1-0 down. We were better in the second half but were still struggling. Then with 4 minutes to go Ibrahim equalised to make it 1-1 and salvage a point. Colchester away was next. A poor first half saw us go in 1-0 down. We produced a devastating 15 minutes in the second half when goals from O'Connor & a Noel-Williams double put us 3-1 up. We lost a goal late on but managed to hold on and win 3-2.

Bristol Rovers at home was next up. We went in level at half time after Noel-Williams had equalised. We struggled in the second half and fell behind with 8 minutes to go. It looked as if Kandol had rescued a point when he equalised with 5 minutes to go only for us to concede again in the 89th minute and lose 3-2. It was the local derby next away at Notts Forest. We produced one of our worst performances of the season so far and were lucky to only lose 2-1, with Parkin pulling 1 back late on. We were at home to Preston next. Noel-Williams gave us an early lead. This was as good as it got as Preston scored a goal in each half to win 2-1.

Oldham away followed and predictably another defeat, this time 1-0. Norwich at home was next. We found ourselves 2-0 down early on before Noel-Williams pulled one back before half time. We conceded again before Noel-Williams scored again. We had a couple of chances to equalised but couldn't take them and lost 3-2. Back to back away games at Cheltenham and Crewe both produced 1-0 wins.

This leaves us on 21st place with 4 games remaining, 3 of which are at home, and 4 points from safety.

Thursday's session started at home to Huddersfield. Mazzola put us ahead inside the first minute. We had conceded 2 goals to go in 2-1 down at half time. Mazzola inside the first minute of the second half to equalise. We had a couple of chances to win the game but couldn't take them and it finished 2-2. It was harrop's Port Vale next, who had just been crowned champions. We made a brilliant start as Parkin gave us the lead inside 60 seconds. O'Connor struck just before half time to give us a 2-0 lead at the break. Davies scored a screamer late on to give us a vital 3-0 win.

Millwall away was next. We fell behind midway through the first half which was completely against the run of play. Parkin equalised with 18 minutes to go. We didn't manage to go on and find a winner and it finished 1-1. The final game of the season was at home to Stockport. It all came down to this, win this game and we stayed up as Stockport are 3 points ahead of us but with a much worse goal difference. We played poorly in the first half but defended well and went in level at half time. We started the second half much better and Djilali gave us the lead on the hour mark with a cracking diving header. We struggled a bit after that but defended to the death and held on to win 1-0 and secure our League One status.

This meant we finished the season in 20th place only staying up on goal difference. Next season will be a struggle again unless we can bring in some better players. There is also an outside chance that I might get offered a job at a bigger club.

Monday's session saw us progress through the close season. Due to our poor financial situation we struggled to bring in players, with Dan Fox of Coventry the only big signing. We started the season at home to Norwich. We had the best of the first half but conceded a goal to the only Norwich attack. We didn't play as well in the second half and could not find a goal and lost 1-0. It was the League Cup next as we hosted Crystal Palace. We played well in the first half and went in 1-0 up thanks to a goal from O'Connor just before half time. We were poor in the second half and lost 3 goals to make the final score 3-1 and we crashed out.

Oldham away followed. We dominated this game but our finishing and defending were woeful and we lost 3-0. Preston at was next. Livermore scored a screamer after 4 minutes. This turned out to be the only goal of the game and gave us a 1-0 win in a game we dominated. This left us with just 3 points from the first 3 games. Hopefully we can build on that next time.

Thursday's session started at Millwall. We were really poor in the first half and went in 2-0 down. We pulled one back on the hour mark thanks to an own goal, although why it was an own goal I have no idea. We pushed on to look for an equaliser but conceded with 2 minutes to go to lose 3-1. Huddersfield at home was next. We played much better in this game and won 2-0 thanks to goals from Krenn & Noel-Williams. Aldershot away followed. Another good performance saw us win 2-0 again thanks to a Livermore double.

We played host to Leyton Orient next. We had the best of this game but somehow managed to lose 3-0 which pretty much sums this team up. We looked to bounce back away to MK Dons. This was a dull game that finished 0-0. Hartlepool at home was next. This was another poor game that finished 0-0. It was the JPT next as we travelled to face Wycombe. We played well in this game and won 3-1 thanks to a double from Wilson and a Fox penalty.

This leaves us in 15th place after 10 games, hopefully we can kick on from here and establish ourselves as a mid table side.

Monday's session started at home to Northampton. We played well and a first half strike from Krenn gave us a 1-0 win. It was a local derby next as we travelled to Notts Forest. We were awful and got hammered 3-1 with Bennett pulling one back late on from the spot. Rochdale at home followed. We played well in this game but couldn't take our chances and had to settle for a 1-1 draw after Noel-Williams had given us the lead. Blackpool away followed. We struggled a bit in this game and were 2-0 down before Mazzola pulled one back in stoppage time to make the final score 2-1.

We played really well in this game and won 2-1 thanks to a free kick from Davies and a late strike from Wilson. It was the JPT next as we hosted Leyton Orient. We were poor in the first half but managed to go in level. We were much better in the second half and took the lead thanks to a Davies pen with 10 minutes left. We managed to hold on to progress to the next round with a 1-0 win. It was the FA CUp next as we hosted Kidderminster. We played fairly well and goals from O'Connor & Wilson gave us a 2-0 win. Back to back away games were next starting with Crewe. We dominated this game but our finishing was shocking and as a result we lost 1-0. Shrewsbury away followed. We played well in the first half and went in 1-0 up thanks to a goal from Mazzola. We ere poor in the second half and were lucky to only concede once as it finished 1-1.

We looked to get back to winning ways at home to Peterborough. Wilson gave us an early lead before Peterborough dominated the game and scored twice to take the lead. It looked like we would lose until Davies scored in stoppage time to make it 2-2 and salvage a point. Carlisle at home was next. We produced our best performance of the season so far as we destroyed Carlisle 5-0. The goals came from Davies, Wilson, Bennett, Kandol & Noel-Williams. It was the FA Cup next as we travelled to face Bury. We were shocking in this game and lost 2-1 as we crashed out, Wilson getting our goal. Colchester away followed. O'Connor gave us an early lead before it all went horribly wrong. We conceded 3 times without reply to lose 3-1.

Darlington away was next up. Goals from Wilson & O'Connor gave us a 2 goal lead after 37 minutes. We then conceded 3 goals in 5 minutes on either side of half time to lose 3-2. It was the JPT next as we went to Millwall. We were outplayed for long spells of this match. We went 2-0 down before Noel-Williams pulled one back in stoppage time to make the final score 2-1 to Millwall. This defeat means we only have the league to focus on. We are in 17th place after 20 games, 5 points above the relegation zone.

Thursday's session saw us start at home to high flying Doncaster. Brooker gave us an early lead, his first goal for us in the 18 months he has been here!! We were under the cosh for most of the game until Mazzola scored in stoppage time to give us a 2-0 win. Brighton away followed. Kandol gave us an early lead. That was as good as it got. We conceded a penalty just before half time and fell behind at the start of the second half. We conceded a second penalty late on to lose 3-1. The next game was at home to Swindon. An early goal from Brooker gave us a 1-0 win. This was my last game in charge of County as I accepted an offer from Brighton to become their manager.

Alistair Gillespie - Brighton & Hove Albion

My first game in charge was away at Preston. We were shocking at got hammered 2-0. The FA Cup was next as we travelled to Leyton Orient. We were awful in the first half and went in 2-0 down. We were much better in the second half and a double from Virgo made it 2-2 and forced a replay. Millwall at home was next. Another dismal performance saw us lose 2-0. We went looking for my first win in charge at Huddersfield. We were even worse in this game and lost 3-0.

It was our FA Cup replay at home to Leyton Orient next. Goals from Ifill and Easter put us 2-0 up. Orient pulled one back before half time and equalised with 10 minutes to go. It looked like we were heading for extra time only for us to concede and lose 3-2. We played host to Aldershot next. First half goals from Virgo & Easter gave us a 2-0 win. Leyont Orient away followed. Another dismal performance saw us lose 2-0. MK Dons at home was next. This was one of the worst games I have ever watched on FM and it finished 0-0.

The final game of the session was away at Brighton. We played a bit better in this game and managed to win 2-0 with goals from Artus & Virgo. This leaves us in 6th place after 30 games, 2 points from 2nd and 8 points from 1st place. If we can get some of our players fit we have a chance of gaining automatic promotion.

David Harrop - Port Vale

When I left off from my last post we where top of League 1 with half a dozen games left of the season, and we carried on playing well for the rest of the games and as last year won the league by a comfortable margin. So after 2 seasons in League 2 we managed back to back promotion taking us to the Championship. Before last season started I felt that even though we had a very similar team as in League 2 we could finish around mid table and maybe have a push for the playoffs next season but to win the League was a great achievement.

As I said we had alot of players who where playing in League 2 just over a season ago so I felt we would have to rebuild the squad if we where to have any chance of staying in the Championship as we have only 2 maybe 3 players good enough for the second tier of English football.

Coming up to the summer transfer window I was hoping the club would back me and give me some money to spend with a half decent wage budget but no, they gave me £0 and the same wage budget as the previous 2 seasons (so the same as what we had in League 2 - about £30k), so not only did I have no money to spend we where £20k over the wage budget due to most of the players get promotion and annual wage increases. This had pretty much stopped any ideas of rebuilding the squad and I had to rely on loans to improve the team as much as possible (which I did managed to do by bringing 3 decent loans from Premiership clubs at the start of the season and a 4th in January).

So going into the new season I expected us to be fighting around the drop zone for the whole season trying to scrape some results from the weaker teams and then getting a occasional hammering from the top teams but this was not the case, we held our own in most of the matches and as we approach Christmas we sat in 11th place in the table and over 10 points above the relegation zone. During January and most of February we had a bad run where we couldn't buy a win and we dropped down the league to about 19th but the gap between us and the bottom 3 never got closer than 7 points and after February our form picked back up winning more than we lost and when we finished the last session there are only 3 games left of the season and we have moved back up the table to 13th position and about 20 points above the 22nd placed team in the league and therefore keeping us in the Championship for at least another season.

As we have not really added a player (apart from the 3 or 4 loans a season) to the team since we where in League 2, finishing mid-table in the Championship is unbelievable, most of the team where/are young players with good potential so they have improved as we have progressed but most are still only decent/good League 1 players (with a couple of exceptions in Cevasco and Perez and maybe Barreto) and have overachieved for the past 2 seasons.

A few times during the season I have been linked with bigger jobs (top Championship and lower Premiership teams) and I think I have come to a point were I can not take Port Vale any further unless I get a big transfer allowance with a much bigger wage budget and I doubt that will happen so if the right offer comes in from a bigger club I will have to accept it.

Monday's session started at home to Crewe. We were much better in this game and produced some clinical finishing to win 4-0 with goals from Robinson, Wright & a Virgo double. Northampton away followed. We were shocking and were hammered 3-0. Blackpool at home followed. We played well in the first half and goals from Robinson & Virgo gave us a 2-0 half time lead. Virgo was unstoppable in the second half and completed a second half hat trick, and 4 for the match, to make the final score 5-0. Another home game was next as Notts Forest visited. We played well again and a goal from Lekaj in first half stoppage time gave us a 1-0 win.

We had back to back away games next, starting at Rochdale. Easter gave us the lead in the first minute before we struggled for the rest of the half and went in level at 1-1. We were better in the second half and Wright struck 10 minutes from time to give us a 2-1 win. A visit to Wycombe was next. We were shocking and lost 4-1 after Virgo brought us level briefly. A 1-1 draw at home with Shrewsbury followed, with Virgo getting our equaliser. We were away to bottom side Carlisle next. We produced an absolutely shocking performance and were lucky to only lose 4-1, with Virgo scoring again.

We looked to get back to winning ways at home to Colchester. After an uneventful first half we went behind at the start of the second half. With 20 minutes to go we went for broke as I switched to a 4-2-4. It paid off as a double from Virgo and one from Easter put us 3-1 up. We conceded a goal in stoppage time but held on to win 3-2. It was away to Peterborough next. We were poor in this game and lost 2-0. We were at home to Darlington next. After a dull first half we produced a brilliant second half. A double from Lekaj and one from Virgo gave us a fine 3-1 win. It was Doncaster away next. We struggled again and lost 1-0.

We played host to Norwich next. Despite twice taking the lead through Easter and an own goal we had to settle for a point in a 2-2 draw. Swindon at home was next. We were brilliant in the first half and went in 3-1 up thanks to an own goal and goals from Easter & Parsons. We never looked like conceding in the second half and ran out 3-1 winners. We travelled to play my old club Notts County next. We were outplayed for long parts of this game but a double from Easter gave us a 2-1 win. This secured our place in the play offs with a game to spare. The last game of the season was at home to Oldham. A solid performance and goals from Easter & Elphick gave us a 2-0 win. This left us in 5th place.

The play offs saw us drawn with Notts Forest with the first leg at home. Elphick gave us an early lead as we made a good start to the game, Forest equalised just before half time before taking the lead with 15 minutes to go. Wright came off the bench to equalise with 5 minutes to go and make it 2-2 ahead of the second leg. The second leg took place 4 days later. We were awful in the first half and went in 3-0 down. We were just as bad in the second half and ended up losing 4-0, 6-2 on aggregate.

This was a frustrating and disappointing way to finish the season. We will struggle next season as we are miles in debt and over the wage budget already so are unlikely to be able to strengthen much.

The close season saw us struggle to strengthen the squad as we couldn't offer any wages due to our financial problems, We managed to bring in 4 players on season long loans to boost our numbers. We started the new season at home to Hartlepool. We played well in this game and goals from Artus & Virgo gave us a 2-1 win after we had gone behind. The League Cup followed as we hosted Shrewsbury. We were awful in this game and lost 1-0. Tranmere at home followed. We didn't play well in this game but it looked as if we would win thanks to an own goal until Tranmere equalised with 10 minutes to go. We never looked like scoring again so it finished 1-1.

Blackpool away was next. We were pretty poor again and lost 2-0. Crystal Palace away was next. We were brilliant in the first half and went in 2-0 up thanks to goals from Virgo & Artus. We held on in the second half to win 2-0. Leyton Orient was our next away game. We made a slow start and paid the price as we went 2-0 down early on. Villani pulled one back before half time but it wasn't enough and we lost 2-1. The final game of the session was at home to Aldershot. We played really well in this game and ran out 3-1 winners thanks to goals from Villani, Lekaj & Artus.

This leaves us in 6th place after 6 games and only 3 points off top spot. If we can get a bit of consistency we might be able to mount a title challenge.

Thursday's session started away at Colchester. We struggled in this game but managed to salvage a point in a 3-3 draw with goals from Virgo, Robinson and an own goal. Northampton at home was next. A good first half performance saw us go in 2-0 up thanks to goals from Villani and a Parsons penalty. The second half was a non event and we won 2-0. Rochdale away was next. A tight first half saw us go in level after Parsons had equalised from the spot. We were awful in the second half and conceded twice to lose 3-1.

It was the JPT next as we hosted Gillingham. A better performance saw us win 2-0 courtesy of an Easter double. Darlington at home followed. We fell behind early on before storming back to lead 3-1 at half time thanks to a double from Parsons and one from Easter, We struggled in the second half and conceded twice to draw 3-3. Sheffield United at home was next. We were awful and got hammered 4-1 with Virgo getting our goal. Doncaster away followed. We played better in this game and a second half goal from Easter gave us a 1-0 win. We hosted Preston next. Another solid performance saw us win 1-0 thanks to a goal from Virgo.

We played host to Chesterfield next. This was a poor game that finished 1-1 after Villani had given us the lead. We had a major injury crisis as we travelled to play Barnet in the JPT. Despite taking the lead through Easter we were shocking and got hammered 3-1. It was the FA Cup next as we travelled to Salisbury. We struggled but goals from Easter & Dicker gave us a 2-0 win. Rotherham away was next. This was a goal fest that ended up in our favour. Goals from Upson, Lekaj, Easter and an own goal gave us a 4-3 win.

Notts County away was next. We were awful in this game and lost 3-0, with us lucky to get nil to be honest. The final game of the session was at home to Huddersfield. We struggled again but a late goal from Villani salvaged a point in a 1-1 draw. This leaves us in 11th place after 17 games, 3 points from the playoffs.

Monday's session started at home to Barnet. We struggled in this game and it looked like we would lose until Easter scored in stoppage time to make it 1-1. It was the FA Cup next as we travelled to Bournemouth. We played well overall but defended poorly. We twice fell behind but goals from Easter & Villani made it 2-2 and salvaged a replay. Bradford away followed. Virgo gave us an early lead before we were played off the park in the first half going in 3-1 down. Villani pulled one back after half time before Murray popped up with a minute left to make it 3-3.

It was the FA Cup replay at home to Bournemouth next. We played well in this but couldn't take our chances and conceded 3 goals to lose 3-1 with Villani getting our goal. Shrewsbury at home followed. We destroyed Shrewsbury but somehow managed to lose 2-1 even after Jackson gave us an early lead. MK Dons away was next. We were shocking and got hammered 3-0.

This was my last game in charge of Brighton as I was fired after it. This was a bit of a relief as the squad was really poor and I had not been able to make many signings due to financial problems.

Just before the end of Thursday's session I was approached by Brentford of the BSP. I accepted the job, especially as I had a transfer budget of £2.3M.

David Harrop - Port Vale

Following my last post we had 3 games left of which we won the 1st game then lost the 2nd, going into the last game we where 11th in the league but a defeat dropped us to 15th which if you offered me before the season started I would have taken in a heart beat but I think 11th was the least we deserved and felt a bit disappointed finishing 15th.

Going into the closed season I was considering applying for bigger jobs but I wasn't getting mentioned on the ones I was interested in and I didn't want to upset the board unless I had a decent chance of getting the job and when the board gave me almost double the wage budget of last season and a bit of money to spend I decided to give it another season. As I could now offer half decent wages I looked for players to strengthen the squad and signed 4 or 5 players who's contracts where or had run out, of these players most are improvements on our current 1st team players so I off loaded a couple for decent money - Guzman for £1mil and Cascio for £500k, of this £1.5mill the board only gave me £350K to re-use on transfers which annoyed me but with this I signed 2 more players to strengthen squad.

Going into the new season we own a much better squad (in both numbers and quality) than the start of last season but last season I managed to bring in some very good loans which I found more difficult this season but I still felt quite confident of staying up again and maybe beating last seasons 15th finish.

In the January transfer window we where in the top half of the table close to the playoff so I decided to offer out a few of my top players who's contracts run out at the end of the season to try and get some money for them before they leave on frees, I got offers for both Vaida and Cevasco but foreign clubs also offered them pre-contracts for the end of the season, Vaida signed for Coventry for 750k but Cevasco sign a contract for the end of the season meaning I lost out on 2mil that Ipswich offered for him but at least I have him for the rest of the season. Near to the end of the window Perez asked for a transfer and as I have alot of strikers I offered him out and a few clubs made offers so I sold him for 3.8mil, this was to close to the end of the window to bring in any top players but I will have a decent amount of money to strengthen at the end of the season.

As we approached the end of the season there was 4 teams battling for the final 2 spots of the playoffs of which we were one and going into the last game we sat in 6th position 2 points above 7th and 8th but we had to play Southampton (away) who were 3rd and still had a chance of 2nd, during the game they played better than us for the majority of the match but we scored 2 late goals to claim a playoff place. As we finished 6th and Southampton finished 3rd we faced each other again, the 1st leg was away and they hammered us in the 1st half and we went into the break 3nil down but we played alot better in the 2nd half and we pulled 2 goals back to finish 3-2, in the 2nd leg we played really well and beat them 2nil to get to the final against Stoke. In the final we played poor and lost 1nil but there winning goal was a 40 yard fluke which really annoyed me.

Even though it is never nice to lose in a playoff final we still had a very good season and if we did get promoted we would have got battered every game so another season in the Championship may be better in the long run.

Looking to next season we will have a bit of money to spend but with Cevasco leaving we will be much weaker so unless I can find 2 or 3 very good players I doubt we will improve on last season but only time will tell.

Alistair Gillespie - Brentford

Monday's session saw me take charge of my first game for Brentford. With only 8 games of the season left I was mainly looking to prepare for next season, while making sure we didn't get drawn into the relegation battle. The first game was away to Crawley. After falling behind Gray equalised just before half time. We struggled in the second half but we managed to hold on for a 1-1 draw. It was Barrow at home next where we had 7 new signings playing. We were much better in this game and goals from Vasilev, on debut, and Morrison gave us a 2-0 win. Northwich at home followed. Another solid display saw us win 1-0 thanks to a first half goal from Gray.

We were away to the league leaders Stevenage next. We played well and ground out a 1-1 after Denton gave us the lead. Bournemouth at home followed. A stunning free kick from McCann gave us the lead on the hour mark. Unfortunately we couldn't hold on and Bournemouth equalised with 10 minutes to go to make the final score 1-1. Kettering away was next. McCann gave us a first half lead with a long range effort. We were shocking in the second half and conceded twice to lose 2-1. Woking at home followed. We played well but couldn't take our chances and lost 1-0. The final game of the season was away at Salisbury. We were absolutely terrible in this game and were hammered 4-0.

This meant we finished the season in 19th place. I will need to do some serious rebuilding during the summer if we are to challenge for promotion next season.

The close season saw us bring in 7 players on free transfers and one on loan. We started the season at home to Dagenham & Redbridge. This was the best performance since I took the Brentford job. Goals from Gray, Kandol on his debut and McCabe gave us an easy 3-0 win. Exeter away followed. Another solid performance saw us come away with a 1-1 draw after Gray gave us a first half lead. Droylsden away was next. We were poor in the first half but a goal from Gray gave us a half time lead. Gray scored again at the start of the half to double our lead. We played better for the rest of the half and ran out 2-0 winners.

We played host to York next. After a dire first half Ferreira scored on the hour mark to give us the lead. Both sides had chances to score but couldn't take them and we won 1-0. Tamworth away was next up. This was a really poor game which unsurprisingly finished 0-0. This left us in first place after 5 games with 11 points. Hopefully we can build on this next time.

Thursday's session started at home to Histon. Gray gave us the first half lead but we couldn't hold on and conceded midway through the second half to draw 1-1. Woking at home followed. This game was a carbon copy of the pervious one with Gray scoring again in a 1-1 draw. Crawley away was next. A first half double from Morrison put us 2-0 up at half time. We conceded one late on but held on to win 2-1. Kettering away came next. A much better performance saw us win 2-0 with goals from Gray & McCabe.

We played host to Newport County next. A superb first half performance saw us go in 3-0 up thanks to Morrison & a Gray double. The second half was a non event and we won 3-0. Oxford away was next. We were shocking in the first half and went in 2-0 down. Gray pulled one back in the second half but it wasn't enough and we lost 2-1. We looked to bounce back at home to Luton. We played well and won 3-0 thanks to goals from Morrison, Gray & Kandol. Grays away was next. After a poor first half performance, goals from Morrison & Diallo gave us a 2-0 win. Mansfield at home followed. We made a poor start and fell behind early on. Goals from Gray & Diallo gave us a 2-1 lead. We conceded on the hour mark to make it 2-2. We had chances to win but couldn't take them and had to settle for a 2-2 draw.

It was the Conference League Cup next as we travelled to Maidenhead. After a slow start goals from Ferreira & a Morrison double gave us a 3-0 win. Burton at home followed. Goals from Morrison & McCann either side of a goal from Burton gave us a 2-1 win. We travelled to play Northwich next. Gray gave us an early lead as we started brightly. Northwich equalised on the stroke of half time. We then dominated the second half but couldn't take our chances and had to settle for a 1-1 draw. Kidderminster away was next. We made a slow start and found ourselves 2-0 down. Vasilev pulled one back on the hour mark but we couldn't find an equaliser and lost 2-1.

We looked to get back to winning ways at home to Crewe. We got off to the worst possible start as we conceded inside 60 seconds. Ferreira equalised midway through the first half. We were brilliant in the second half and goals from Gray, Ferreira and an own goal gave us a 4-1 win. It was an FA Cup qualifier next away at Forest Green, We didn't play as well in this game as some others but goals from Morrison & McCabe saw us go through with a 2-1 win.

This leaves us in 2nd place after 18 games, 4 points from top spot. I feel we still have an excellent chance to win the title as we have played well in all the games so far. If we ca take a few more chances we will be fine.

Monday's session started away at Weymouth. We played well in spells during this game but couldn't take our chances and it finished goalless. It was the Conference League Cup next as we played host to Forest Green. This was our worst performance since I took charge as we lost 3 goals in the first half. We were just as bad in the second half and we lost 3-0. It was the FA Cup as we played Sheff Wed at home. We were poor in the first half and went in 1-0 down. McCabe equalised before Wednesday retook the lead. Morrison scored in stoppage time to make it 2-2 and force a replay. It was back to league duty as we played Stafford at home. We were much better in this game and ran out 3-1 winners with goals from Morrison & a Gray double.

It was our FA Cup replay at Sheff Wed next. We were totally outclassed and lost 2-0. The bad news from this game was the injury to Morrison that will keep him out for the rest of the season. Back to league duty as we travelled to play Southport. We were shocking once again and lost 2-1 with Gray getting our goal. Ebbsfleet at home was next. We struggled again and a Brown goal in the second half salvaged a point in a 1-1 draw. We travelled to play the league leaders Salisbury next. We played reasonably well in this game but our defence had a shocker and we lost 3-1 with Brown getting our consolation.

Dagenham & Redbridge away followed. This was a goal fest which ended in a draw. Our goals came from McCann, Kandol and Browne late on to make it 3-3. It was the FA Trophy next as we travelled to Oxford. We played well in this game and an early goal from Brown gave us a 1-0 win. The final game of the season was away to York. A good attacking display saw us run out 4-2 winners with goals from Gray, an own goal and a Brown double.

This was a disastrous session that all but ended our chances of winning the title. We are in 3rd place after 25 games, 13 points behind 1st place.

Thursday's session started at home to Exeter. We played well in the first half and went in 2-0 up thanks to goals from Brown & Gray. We were even better in the second half and 3 goals from Brown gave us a 5-0 win. The FA Trophy was next as we hosted Histon. We struggled in this game and had to settle for a 0-0 draw and a replay. Droylsden at home was next. We played really well in this game but only had 1 goal to show for it from Brown, but it was enough to give us a 1-0 win. It was our FA Trophy replay at Histon next. We fell behind in first half stoppage time. We battered them in the second half and finally equalised with 2 minutes to go when McCann scored. We controlled extra time and goals from Brown and a Gray double gave us a 4-2 win.

Tamworth at home was next. We struggled in the first half and went in 1-0 down. Gray equalised at the start of the second half before we fell behind again. Vasilev equalised with just over 10 minutes to go to salvage a point in a 2-2 draw. We travelled to play Histon again, this time in the league. The first half was fairly even. The game turned in 60 seconds at the start of the second half. First we were reduced to 10 men when Henderson was sent off before we fell behind to an own goal. Histon went 2-0 up before Ferreira pulled one back. It wasn't enough and we lost 2-1. It was the FA Trophy next as we travelled to play Crewe. This was another poor performance that saw us lose 3-2 with Brown getting both of our goals.

Kettering at home was next. This was a very even game with loads of goals. Brown, McCann & Ferreira scored for us in a 3-3 draw. Woking away followed. We were shocking in this game but managed to keep a clean sheet for a point in a 0-0 draw. The session finished at home to Crawley. We played better in this game and goals from McCann and a Mackie double gave us a 3-0 win. This was another poor session that saw us drop down the table. We are now 4th after 32 games, 15 points behind the leaders. We will need to start playing better to make sure we make the play offs.

David Harrop - Port Vale

During the off season we sold alot of players for decent money and brought in which in my opinion are better players for less money, so for the 1st time that we have been in the Championship I felt going into the new season that we had a decent team at this level and as we managed to get to the playoff final last year I was aiming for automatic promotion.

As I said above I felt quite confident going it to the opening games of the season but for the first 4 or 5 games we played well below par, but when I think about it I should have expected this as we had alot of new players and it would take time for them to gel. For the rest of the games leading up to xmas our form picked up but we were not picking up enough points to catch the top teams in the division, our home form was very good but we could not buy a win away and if anything the gap was increasing and by mid January I had ruled out us making the top 2 and the playoffs was my aim for the rest of the season. During the winter transfer window a few more players left the club with some coming in and again in my opinion improving the squad whilst making a profit at the same time. After the transfer window we continued to play the same picking up good points at home but not enough away and the gap between us (we where 10th) and the playoffs was getting quite big but in the last dozen or so games we started to play well and pick up points both home and away but it was to late to get into the playoffs missing out by a few points.

Even though I thought we had a much better squad of players I never replaced Cevasco (a defence midfielder) and I think this was a major factor to why we underperformed this season, but even without him if we had a better started we would have made the playoffs so the fact I signed alot of players at the start of the season and the time it took them to settle was also a factor. We can also take heart that we played very well at the end of the season and if we carry that over to next season we shouldn't be too far away.

To next season there will not be many players coming in and out so we should start the new season alot better but if we are to challenge for promotion I will have to find a top central midfielder and sort our striker options as we had too many this season and as long as we sort these areas out I think we have a chance of playing in the Premiership in just over a years time.

Archived