reinstalling OS?

what did you install? if you put a motherboard in your system then yes. The dell OS cd is oem and does not require a CD key. It picks up it is a dell system from the motherboard and installs. If you installed anything other than a motherboard it will work fine. Otherwise you will require your cd key.

wont i get any install cd's with my component?

so your saying when i install my new components. my pc wont boot up because my os was installed via a dell cd using a cd key?

ok what compenants have you changed? What i was saying if you change the motherboard for a new one and the OS is still running with the chipset drivers from the old mobo then that will cause problems, bluescreens etc. If you just add RAM or a Graphics card it should be fine.

I think the best advice would be to ring Dell and ask them about their disk, and what would be required with what your doing. I think the OSs Key is set up for certain configurations(when activating), so with a new m/board it probably would show up as something fishy which may be looked at by Microsoft as maybe a dodgy copy or something because a machine is being used with an OS for a different model. If you get what im saying. Dell should be able to help you with that i think.

ok guys, thanks.

iv spoken to dell, and a computer parts sales team. and i will need a new os.

when asked what i should get. xp windows or vista they said installing new hardware would prob be best using vista as all the problems have been sorted out using sp1..

what do you recomend? windows xp or vista?

But when you go full screen mode does a machine not focus mostly on FM as its the only thing running... As long as you have your machines set to 'Programs' rather then 'background' in the memory usage and processor scheduling settings. :p

They're probably advising Vista because thats what the sales team would have been told to do... like somebody in Argos asking if you want insurance or an extended warranty... doesn't mean its better they just want your money! So its entirely up to you. They will both work and run fine i'm sure.

Personally... i would try what i suggested earlier on the microsoft site anyway... What have you got to lose? apart from a few hours watsed time if it doesn't work.

EDIT: at the bottom of that microsoft link it basically describes why you would need a new OS like Dell suggested lol. I guess you could try still.

Personally... i would try what i suggested earlier on the microsoft site anyway... What have you got to lose? apart from a few hours watsed time if it doesn't work.

i read that and it seems pritty easy, do they realise tho that you would be using a cd from say Dell, and not a factory cd of windows xp..?

cos the new motherboard will have new bios settings, and if it dont work, what will i end up with, a pc full of new components that wont boot up?

what will i end up with, a pc full of new components that wont boot up?

Yeah i guess... but then you would go buy a new OS like Dell said and they would all work. Its not like trying will break all your components. I guess depends how much cash you have lying around. Buying the OS would be easiest but you can always try the other one.

Yeah i guess... but then you would go buy a new OS like Dell said and they would all work. Its not like trying will break all your components. I guess depends how much cash you have lying around. Buying the OS would be easiest but you can always try the other one.

another problem just reading up on vista, because i currently have windows xp, i dont think my sound card will be compatible with vista..??

but i can get a copy of xp for £70 from pc world or vista for £130

honestly m8 Dell are useless, soon as your insurance xpires, they cant even speak english or understand you. they told me the other week i could have certain upgrades etc. when i called a shop selling components they told me that they wouldnt even be compatible.. Dell have said that the cd's wont work with a diff mother board etc..

im happy to buy a copy if i need one but cant deside if vista is going benifit me more.. all i read is how crap it is and nothing works. it slow your system down, at least i know my good old xp and where every thing is.. :)

Yeah i agree.. I've just ordered a new laptop and as i work in IT i thought i better start to get to know Vista. Although XP is faster. But i can live with it... as long as its faster then my current laptop which it will be! I've used Vista on some comps that work colleagues bring in for me to look at... Its all just got different titles for the settings and folder navigation is different but i think i can get used to it! If i didn't work in IT i would probably get XP because the £60 extra for Vista maybe wouldn't be worth it...

What i know i will do is that next year i'll upgrade my OS to the next windows version after the first Service pack is out. Which apparently is what Vista wanted to be.. faster, worked more efficiently and worked better with drivers etc. So its not too long a wait.

Cool, that was what i was hoping they would do in the first place.

lol well that was short lived m8, that cant happen. they said i need to buy a new copy of OS. pc world sells windows vista at £169.99 GOSH and sell a windows xp upgrade with sp2 for £ £70 dont think the upgrade is what i want. isnt that an add on?

how come no bosy in the shop havnt told me i will need an original copy of windows os when i install a new mobo..

didnt know i was gonna get hit with that expence. and you can bet ya life if i get vista as no where seems to sell xp on the high street, my sound card and anti virus from mcaffe wont even work on vista so that will mean another purchase..

Archived