SI didn't see this coming (a voice of calm on a mad, mad forum)

Having read through the countless threads on here complaining about the dodgy activation process, I have to say I do feel a little sympathy for Sports Interactive.

The people who say "Oh, stop moaning and just play the game - accept it for what it is :rolleyes:" don't seem to understand to principal....

The people who are complaining have every right to do so; they bought the game fair and square and expect to be able to play it, yet they can't due to over-the-top security measures which, if I may be so bold, go beyond what even Electronic Arts do.

What we need to understand is that SI had no idea of the troubles this activation system could have caused. Had they known; they wouldn't have went ahead with these measures because, let's be honest, it is bad for business (and SI are a business, after all).

I think everyone needs to just calm down a little and wait for an official announcement from SI regarding the current problem, as I can assure you they are working round the clock to get everyone sorted, and up and running with the game.

Stop wasting money on pointless phone calls, stop opening new threads complaining about the same thing (can't you see the 1000's of others?) and just wait until SI do their jobs. That is: Sort it out (SI).

Of course you're angry; you've every right to be, and SI know you are and believe me: they are doing everything they can to please us all.

Patience is a virtue. :)

Miles has promised that he'll let everybody know what has happened in due course. I really do think that people should hold off on slamming him and SI until then. It was explained to us all in the testing room and it's definitely best if people listen to what Miles has to say and then make their views heard.

People seem to forget that SI are HUMANS!!! They make mistakes, thats human nature, but the good thing is that things can get fixed and that takes a little time, ask yourself is it worth making someone feel wrong about themselves just because of your anger/frustration?

Having read through the countless threads on here complaining about the dodgy activation process, I have to say I do feel a little sympathy for Sports Interactive.

The people who say "Oh, stop moaning and just play the game - accept it for what it is :rolleyes:" don't seem to understand to principal....

The people who are complaining have every right to do so; they bought the game fair and square and expect to be able to play it, yet they can't due to over-the-top security measures which, if I may be so bold, go beyond what even Electronic Arts do.

What we need to understand is that SI had no idea of the troubles this activation system could have caused. Had they known; they wouldn't have went ahead with these measures because, let's be honest, it is bad for business (and SI are a business, after all).

I think everyone needs to just calm down a little and wait for an official announcement from SI regarding the current problem, as I can assure you they are working round the clock to get everyone sorted, and up and running with the game.

Stop wasting money on pointless phone calls, stop opening new threads complaining about the same thing (can't you see the 1000's of others?) and just wait until SI do their jobs. That is: Sort it out (SI).

Of course you're angry; you've every right to be, and SI know you are and believe me: they are doing everything they can to please us all.

Patience is a virtue. :)

I think the point is though mate, that SI would/should have done some research/tests/background checks into whether this new system would be able to cope with such a popular game, obviously they decided it could, so whatever reasons it was that were chosen to go with the new authentication system need to be looked at.

All they can do now is review the policy and hope that they make the right, maybe more educated decision for next years game.

I don't think an explanation is needed, as long as they put their hands up, admit fault, and say that we're never using this again.

good post, though it wont' help those still emotional, as that will override sense. understandably people are ****ed off, and as you say, it's not like SI set out to do this. i'm sure they're bursting their arse trying to get this sorted to minimise the impact on their business.

who knows, maybe they'll recoup some of the impact by going back to what they used to do and adding some even new features in a future patch.

I'm sure this time next year, the heat and emotion will be long forgotten, as people tend to have short memories of how angry they were once everything is alright.

L1GhTz - the demo didnt have activation in it, if it did, there would have been another uproar on why demo has DRM. The main problems are around this area, once you're in and running, then the rest of the game (with 9.1 patch applied), is in good shape.

I think the point is though mate, that SI would/should have done some research/tests/background checks into whether this new system would be able to cope with such a popular game, obviously they decided it could, so whatever reasons it was that were chosen to go with the new authentication system need to be looked at.

All they can do now is review the policy and hope that they make the right, maybe more educated decision for next years game.

I don't think an explanation is needed, as long as they put their hands up, admit fault, and say that we're never using this again.

Marc from SI replied to me on another thread by saying:

I admit it is unacceptable

They DO know, and they ARE working hard.

Have faith.

Miles has promised that he'll let everybody know what has happened in due course. I really do think that people should hold off on slamming him and SI until then. It was explained to us all in the testing room and it's definitely best if people listen to what Miles has to say and then make their views heard.

Tbf going by Miles record, what he tells the users will be a pile of crap designed to appease whilst inflicting as little PR damage as possible. Itll just be spin.

Was the autentication process in the demo???...no. Its an untested process and therefore its new to SI, people should appreciate that stuff like this isn't going to be right the 1st time round and i'm sure SI will get it fixed as always!

it's not an untested process just because it wasnt in the demo...

I expect this ****-up from someone like Microsoft but not from SI, who are fortunately not the company I'm most peeved at, I'm more peeved at the fact I preorder FM09 from Game at £29.99 along with another popular release at the full price only for them to cut the prices on release day.

I'm a very disappointed gamer right now. :(

Maybe Fifa Manager is the future, then again maybe not.

it's not an untested process just because it wasnt in the demo...

It was tested but not to an extent where masses of people try to authenticate, there is some sort of complication that has risen, its not easy to test something that they haven't experienced or know about.

How could you not see it coming ?

You have previously sold millions of copies of the game that you have been publishing for over 10 years. You have over 1 million pre-orders and you dont stagger the release so you know at least that may people will hit the servers on the same day.

You have had the whole DRM issue with both Bioshock and Spore games only a few months ago.

The last release of the game failed to be playable from the CD because it had so many bugs you need it to patch it right away.

You would have to have been locked away in cave with no understanding of gamers, internet releases(how many mmorpgs have have release problems).

Even logically looking at the problem you would have to say the biggest risk was always going to be having that many people trying to hit the servers at the same time.

Their is no excuse they messed it up plain and simple. No point trying to make excuses for anyone in the company at all. They failed to test the product enough and rushed it out for the Xmas market before it was ready. They failed to do any sizing and volume testing of the authenication system and did it seems did not consider any form of backup plan should it fail.

It is about time computer game companies get their act together and stop acting like a bunch of cowboys in terms of software development. I feel in terms of coding terms we seem to be going backwards with games coing out in worst states than they did 5 years ago. They have become to rely on the internet to patch their mistake later rather than shipping products that work out of the box.

I expect this ****-up from someone like Microsoft but not from SI, who are fortunately not the company I'm most peeved at, I'm more peeved at the fact I preorder FM09 from Game at £29.99 along with another popular release at the full price only for them to cut the prices on release day.

I'm a very disappointed gamer right now. :(

Maybe Fifa Manager is the future, then again maybe not.

Just because people can't authenticate the game is no reason for that, the game and the authentication are 2 totally separate things.

It was tested but not to an extent where masses of people try to authenticate, there is some sort of complication that has risen, its not easy to test something that they haven't experienced or know about.

no, but an assesment would still have been carried out on whether this system would be able to cope, so somewhere along the lines where the decision was made that it COULD cope, something went wrong, and that is still at the fault of SI

How could you not see it coming ?

You have previously sold millions of copies of the game that you have been publishing for over 10 years. You have over 1 million pre-orders and you dont stagger the release so you know at least that may people will hit the servers on the same day.

You have had the whole DRM issue with both Bioshock and Spore games only a few months ago.

The last release of the game failed to be playable from the CD because it had so many bugs you need it to patch it right away.

You would have to have been locked away in cave with no understanding of gamers, internet releases(how many mmorpgs have have release problems).

Even logically looking at the problem you would have to say the biggest risk was always going to be having that many people trying to hit the servers at the same time.

Their is no excuse they messed it up plain and simple. No point trying to make excuses for anyone in the company at all. They failed to test the product enough and rushed it out for the Xmas market before it was ready. They failed to do any sizing and volume testing of the authenication system and did it seems did not consider any form of backup plan should it fail.

It is about time computer game companies get their act together and stop acting like a bunch of cowboys in terms of software development. I feel in terms of coding terms we seem to be going backwards with games coing out in worst states than they did 5 years ago. They have become to rely on the internet to patch their mistake later rather than shipping products that work out of the box.

In fairness, Christmas is about 40 days away, and FM is usually released between September/October.

If anything, they've been holding it back this year.

no, but an assesment would still have been carried out on whether this system would be able to cope, so somewhere along the lines where the decision was made that it COULD cope, something went wrong, and that is still at the fault of SI

Maybe they misjudged how well it could cope because of lack of experience? Also its not all SI's fault, it may be their fault for using this DRM system but not all their fault that it hasn't gone right.

Maybe they misjudged how well it could cope because of lack of experience? Also its not all SI's fault, it may be their fault for using this DRM system but not all their fault that it hasn't gone right.

but don't you see, if they have misjudged it, then it IS their fault.

i can't explain this any clearer :(

i'm not even having a go at them, but you can't keep trying to keep defending the indefensible

but don't you see, if they have misjudged it, then it IS their fault.

i can't explain this any clearer :(

i'm not even having a go at them, but you can't keep trying to keep defending the indefensible

Derby have been trying for years.

This was most certainly carried out. Miles has promised that he'll explain this as soon as the problems are out of the way and I think that any reasonable person will understand.

This was most certainly carried out. Miles has promised that he'll explain this as soon as the problems are out of the way and I think that any reasonable person will understand.

Apologies, Chris Richie has forgotten where he is..... ;)

i'm not having a go btw. i'm just trying to say that, as you pointed out that obviously something was done to make sure that this would work mostly error free. so unless something really 100% completely unforseeable has happened then the blame lies with someone

No matter what happens here today, people in the FM world will forever assocsiate this date with the date that Miles Jacobsen needs to step aside. There Needs to be a reshuffle in the SI team. We need people who understand the regular Joe. We need someone who will go back to basics and give us the standard activation code with the game itself.

Softwanker and STEAM weren't up to a job this big. SI have cocked up. And as a business it may be one **** up to many as now they have lost a LOT of customers.

Heads need to roll.

Miles Jacobsen included

No matter what happens here today, people in the FM world will forever assocsiate this date with the date that Miles Jacobsen needs to step aside. There Needs to be a reshuffle in the SI team. We need people who understand the regular Joe. We need someone who will go back to basics and give us the standard activation code with the game itself.

Softwanker and STEAM weren't up to a job this big. SI have cocked up. And as a business it may be one **** up to many as now they have lost a LOT of customers.

Heads need to roll.

Miles Jacobsen included

I doubt that particular post will get the response you expect, and flies in the face of my OP.

SI have already accepted and ADMITTED the problem, and are working to fix it.

They will fix it, and all will be well.

Please at least TRY to be patient.

Your frustration is understood, but name-calling won't be.

I am patient. I am not going to say I foresaw this coming. I did not. I didnt buy a copy of the game due to the fact that I'm enjoying 08 too much. But now I have no reason to play untill SI have sorted this out.

There can be no way around the fact that SI are to blame for this. However this blame is only partial. They trusted a sub-standard company. Here-in lies the blame. SoftWanchor and STEAM are inadequate for a game as popular as this.

Btw I never called anyone names.

I'm merley getting accross my Point of View on this whole situation.

I hope no one gets fired. Really I do. But with the way things are lining up. Things are not looking good for the SI team.

Heads need to roll.

Miles Jacobsen included

heads should roll you say?

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/1948/bowlingmainfullcopyzy1.jpg

(yes, i only got photoshop today, and am incredibly poor at using it.. i've just found today as a good excuse to play around using pictures of miles)

I am patient. I am not going to say I foresaw this coming. I did not. I didnt buy a copy of the game due to the fact that I'm enjoying 08 too much. But now I have no reason to play untill SI have sorted this out.

There can be no way around the fact that SI are to blame for this. However this blame is only partial. They trusted a sub-standard company. Here-in lies the blame. SoftWanchor and STEAM are inadequate for a game as popular as this.

Btw I never called anyone names.

I'm merley getting accross my Point of View on this whole situation.

I hope no one gets fired. Really I do. But with the way things are lining up. Things are not looking good for the SI team.

Fair enough.

I haven't even bought FM09 yet myself.

I had it pre-ordered from Play.com but cancelled at the last minute.

I'm waiting until FM09 becomes FM09.0.2 when I'm 100% convinced it'll be even more satisfying than FM08.0.2

These current problems will soon become irrelevant, believe me. :)

Heads need to roll.

Miles Jacobsen included

This is idiotic. What does Miles have to do with the problems? He has been associated with the game since when I started playing, which was more than 10 years ago.

Archived