Nvidia Geforce Help?

I dont know how they work i mean the models.

Is it the higher the model the better the graphics card?

Because i might be buying this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PNY-GeForce-AGP8X-256MB-Graphics/dp/B000P4LHUS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225818565&sr=8-1

Will that be able to run FM08 along with 512 (another 512 coming) and a 2.8ghz pentium 4 processor?

OR maybe you could recommend me one

AGP card, Budget = £30 :]

I dont believe thats listed on the specs sheet Miles posted on this board, but I would imagine it falls into a bracket higher than some cards currently being used to run FM. As its not listed, I cannot be sure.

Best wait for a few more people who know about such cards to comment...

Are you sure you need AGP? I would have thought that spec of PC you mentioned would at least support PCI-E (which is a quicker form of communication between the PC and the Graphics Card than the older AGP). I wouldnt have thought it that big a deal for Footie Manager, the card advertising blurb says it's okay for Doom 3 :D

Wait out...

you need to find out if your pc supports pci express as that one in the link is AGP and get one in the 8000 series or higher then you have a better chance of ti being able to run newer games if your pc supports pci-express then get this card http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=26083&category_id=660&manufacturer_id=0&tid=zt-84seh2p-fsr

I dont believe thats listed on the specs sheet Miles posted on this board, but I would imagine it falls into a bracket higher than some cards currently being used to run FM. As its not listed, I cannot be sure.

Best wait for a few more people who know about such cards to comment...

Are you sure you need AGP? I would have thought that spec of PC you mentioned would at least support PCI-E (which is a quicker form of communication between the PC and the Graphics Card than the older AGP). I wouldnt have thought it that big a deal for Footie Manager, the card advertising blurb says it's okay for Doom 3 :D

Wait out...

Yeah i have a few screenys but im not sure tho because on pc wizard it says this:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc233/cg48/resetrs.png

Okay, so it says you have AGP and PCI to select from. PCI is one step back from PCI-E (E standing for Express, i.e. a bit faster)

I believe PCI came out later than AGP, so in fact that would be the faster of the two 'slots' you have available in your machine. Can anyone else confirm that he would be better off getting a PCI graphics card in this instance? I'm sure the AGP one would suffice, but you might as well get the quickest if you can (as long as it doesnt really cost more money).

Yes, by the looks of it you have PCI

(AGP, PCI, PCI-E in order of speeds, slowest first).

Wait for someone else to confirm that would be the sensible slot to buy a graphics card for, you might find someone who has been in same situation as you and I like to double, if not triple check these things :D

Okay, so it says you have AGP and PCI to select from. PCI is one step back from PCI-E (E standing for Express, i.e. a bit faster)

I believe PCI came out later than AGP, so in fact that would be the faster of the two 'slots' you have available in your machine. Can anyone else confirm that he would be better off getting a PCI graphics card in this instance? I'm sure the AGP one would suffice, but you might as well get the quickest if you can (as long as it doesnt really cost more money).

I'm fairly sure AGP is more recent (and quicker) than PCI, but slower than PCI-E

If you don't have a PCI-E (express) port then go for AGP (accelarated graphics port) as opposed to a standard PCI port. Thats assuming you have an AGP port of course. I'd be very suprised if your motherboard didn't though.

I'm fairly sure AGP is more recent (and quicker) than PCI, but slower than PCI-E

Doh! You are completely correct! Shows how long its been since I've bought anything for PCI or AGP.

PCI, AGP, PCI-E (which makes sense as the Express is an upgrade).

See what I mean about double checking? :D Thanks fellow forum chap! My bad.

Aye, looking at it more carefully, that looks to be the right one. They are both MS-6714 motherboards, the key difference seems to be in the GEM rather than GVM... Good luck!

I'd suggest it's an AGP motherboard you've got after all, and would suggest that the GeForce 5900, 6200, 6600 and 6800 range cards would likely be sufficient. I myself have a 6800GS, which is still capable of running most modern games (at a low level), and is running FM09 very nicely indeed.

However, your AGP slot is 4x only and limited to 1.5V, so check the requirements (particularly the voltage) for any new card you buy.

I found this comment on the internet...

AGP 4X cards spec to 1.5 volts

AGP 8X cards use only .8 volts and will therefore run on any 1.5 volt mobo. They are backward compatable. The 6600GT is an 8X card so you will not have any problem running it on a mobo that can deliver 1.5 volts.

So I'd assume the same would be true for the 6600 - see if you can find a 6600GT though, may be worth a couple of quid extra. In fact, I used to have one of those myself! (I now have a 6800GS)

I'm under the impression x8 cards will work in x4 slots, just at the slower speed. Can anyone confirm that? Makes it a little easier to find cards if thats the case. Is it possible to find such a card he can use for anything under, say 70quid new? Ebay is the way...

Confirmed before I even asked the question :D

I'm under the impression x8 cards will work in x4 slots, just at the slower speed. Can anyone confirm that? Makes it a little easier to find cards if thats the case. Is it possible to find such a card he can use for anything under, say 70quid new? Ebay is the way...

Confirmed before I even asked the question :D

x8 cards will work on x4 slots no problem. They just communicate abit slower with the mobo (4x instaed of 8x). Sounds alot but its not much of a difference in real time. card wise a radeon x1950 pro (512mb onboard) will out perform even some geforce 8 series cards on an agp slot nevermind 6 series. But if its only FM and not other games you're interested in then a 6 series geforce should be fine. Make sure your power supply can cope with the card you buy.

Not all 8x cards will work in 4x slots but most will.Be sure to find out beforehand.The card nees pixel shader 2.0 and vertex shader 2.0 and needs to be directX 9.0 compatible.It needs ALL of those features so make sure it does before buying.Try the Nvidia site for this info.

Also PCI is older than AGP and PCI-e is the newest.None are compatible with any other.

You also need to be aware that an improved graphics card needs more power so you might need to buy a new power supply to ensure proper operation(As mentioned above.This is especially true if you have a Dell,HP etc as they give you a fairly basic power supply as standard.

I'm not convinced you need a very good card for FM08, especially when the other hardware on your PC won't match it. You'd be better off getting a not so good card then do a big upgrade in 2 years or so. Something like the Geforce 6 series should be more than enough for anything you can run on a P4 with an AGP/PCI slot.

I'm with MSCCG - get a simple card (as suggested) now, and in the future upgrade the lot. It's too much hassle upgrading bits here and there just for a gfx card unless that is your only option.

Hell, I have one of those tiny Cube PC's and my PSU should be a little more powerful for the gfx card I have. In fact, I had to cut a hole in the case so that my gfx card could stick out the side of the machine, thats how big it is in relation to the flaming PC :)

Archived