Ask players to learn PPM's - Cosmetic feature?

I was kinda looking foward to this feature, but with it came the removal of most of the "tactical" PPM's. Most of the PPM's you can ask your players to learn are mostly how they shoot the ball (Places shots, shoots with power, etc), and that makes no difference at all. And the rest of the PPM's are those you can already ask him to do in the tactical screen (shoot from distance, run with the ball, go foward, stay back, play short passes, try through balls often, etc.). And the ones that really would make a difference such as "Comes deep to get ball", "Plays with back to goal", "Cuts Inside", "Hugs Line", "Plays one-twos", etc, they're all gone.

So there's no point in this new feature.

Not really cosmetic but not exactly brilliant, either. I find it odd I have to spend a month training an intelligent player to cut inside when I can and should be able to just simply instruct him to do it on match day. - I actually more player instruction should be available in the form of expanded 'player talk'.

I think this is good for specific moves such as: tries tricks or argues with officials. Of course, I find it strange how a player will refuse to not stop arguing with officials...

Basically, I'm still a bit iffy on the whole thing. The only benefit I see is for my regens since they usually had zero moves.

If you think about it simply asking someone to do something that is not an aspect of their game on match day is not going to be effective. In training it may pay off, but in a proper competitive match a player needs to have experience and knowledge of what they are doing before they attempt it. Otherwise they are likely to fail trying every time.

Some players won't unlearn things like arguing with officials because of their personality. For example, some players are naturally fiesty and this can benefit their game: Rooney is a particularly relevant example... he gets into a trouble a fair bit in real life but if he lost his grit and determination he might not be the player he is.

The ones which were removed were all cosmetic. The ones in fm09 all make a difference within the game and the match engine :)

What he said. For striker in particular 'Shoots With' or 'Places Shots' can be really effective. I've been impressed so far with the PPM tutorials.

"If you think about it simply asking someone to do something that is not an aspect of their game on match day is not going to be effective."

But some things aren't so specific that a player is unable to do them. It's like forward running. Lampard's game is liking to run forward into the box, but he's had games where he has been told to temper that. A creative freedom slider with notches sort of can do that but since I have no real way to quantify the degrees of differences between each notch. That's why I like specify how often a player makes forward runs or not - a slider as well I know but each notch is far more intuitive, there are only three after all. I enjoy that far more than a 10 notch' slider.

If you think about it simply asking someone to do something that is not an aspect of their game on match day is not going to be effective. In training it may pay off, but in a proper competitive match a player needs to have experience and knowledge of what they are doing before they attempt it. Otherwise they are likely to fail trying every time.

Some players won't unlearn things like arguing with officials because of their personality. For example, some players are naturally fiesty and this can benefit their game: Rooney is a particularly relevant example... he gets into a trouble a fair bit in real life but if he lost his grit and determination he might not be the player he is.

Yes but half the wingers who regularly cut inside dont have it as a PPM. Yes they can learn it, but they should have it already. Most Flair wingers like to cut inside occasionally, not all like to shoot either by cut inside and then lay off passes. There is no differentiation between any of these.

Wingers is basically where 09 is let down with all positions from backs, wingbacks, mid and attacking.

Ok lets just take Man u as an example.

Giggs - PPM runs with ball down left. Actually Giggs wont be playing as a winger much for man u any more, both Ferguson and Giggs have both said this season he will play more as a cm/amc to prolong his career. He always liked to cut inside or run through the middle as well as stay on the wing.

Park - gets into area, plays short simple passes, gets forward often : Actually he doesn't get into the area that much these days and seems to operate on the wing far more than he used to, would say he runs down the line more than ever, with the occasional cut inside to edge of area.

Nani - Shoots from distance, curls balls - He spends most of his time on the wing or between penalty area and edge of box, rarely coming right inside to central outside of area.

Ronaldo - Runs into Area, Runs down right, shoots with power, freekicks with power - Plays LMF as much as RMF these days, often cuts inside at or before half way line, and shoots more from edge of area than in the 6 yrd box.

So should be a differentiation between cuts inside and gets into opposition area.

Yes and no, yes I'm mentioning specific players, but PPMs for both cut inside and gets into opposition area dont exist, thats what I am says, specific players are an example why you need both.

I know you wouldn't add another PPM now, as its to late, but really should have had both as the style of play is different.

Lots of wingers get to by line and cut inside to use opposite foot just to deliver a cross not necessarily dribbling, doesn't mean they run into opposition area. Or they get to byline, cut inside, get in-between 6yrd and edge of area to deliver the cross.

Wingers are such a pivotal part of football these days, whether winning set pieces like corners (or throw ins if your stoke :) ), pulling defenders out of position or crossing the ball. System atm just doesnt bring out the full potential of this area imo.

Archived