Realistic future of Finances in FM

I think in past season's of the game as far as getting your club to make a profit was fairly easy. i have read that in FM09 this has been changed to stay in line with modern day football etc..

I dont think this is down to the credit crunch but on the news it was revealed Norwich City made a lose of 2.5mill 50k per week, it is also reported that this will be higher this year.

Now Norwich dont have a massive squad IRL and they certainly dont have any players on 50k a week. it was reported with the fact there parashoot payments had came to an end thus causing the lose.. to make the game more of a challenge finacially as well as neding to use good tactics and man managment with the squad etc id really like to see tighter finacial control with in the game..

If any one from SI and the testing season is reading this, can you run a test with norwich for 1 season with no transfers to see what the end results will be with profits and loses as an indication how close it is ? ;)

5 mill hey!! they had a chance to sell in the summer but delia obviously thinks she is worht more than she really is.. if she really had the clubs best intrests at heart she will sell and let some one who actually have some money to spend instead of spare change..

she is only init for the restaruant and what she can make out of it now.. Norwich is the fastes most populer area in the country, if the club are succesful providing they had a 35-40k stadium they would fill it in the premiership.. they have the highest average gate in the championship at 24500 which is near capacity. they manage to fill it for every home game..

But getting back to FM. i will be dissapointed if i take a low team and become rich with out any tight budget control.

One thing I would like to see is stadium expansion, etc, becoming much more expensive. If you look at the U.S. for comparative examples, teams are spending $700M+ to build stadiums with an overall cost of over $1B. Now, I know the dollar is dropping against the Euro by the hour ;) but that still translates to a lot more than clubs are spending in FM .. for similar size stadiums (60,000 - 85,000 seated capacity).

I think it would be very interesting to go through the process of building a club up from, say, League Two or the Blue Square Premier, reach the Championship .. and have the board decide to build a 30,000 all-seater ... by taking out a 30-year loan for a staggering amount. Fighting to claw my way back out of that kind of debt while scrabbling for results on the pitch would be a tremendous challenge, exactly the kind of thing that first got me interested in FM.

One thing I would like to see is stadium expansion, etc, becoming much more expensive. If you look at the U.S. for comparative examples, teams are spending $700M+ to build stadiums with an overall cost of over $1B. Now, I know the dollar is dropping against the Euro by the hour ;) but that still translates to a lot more than clubs are spending in FM .. for similar size stadiums (60,000 - 85,000 seated capacity).

I think it would be very interesting to go through the process of building a club up from, say, League Two or the Blue Square Premier, reach the Championship .. and have the board decide to build a 30,000 all-seater ... by taking out a 30-year loan for a staggering amount. Fighting to claw my way back out of that kind of debt while scrabbling for results on the pitch would be a tremendous challenge, exactly the kind of thing that first got me interested in FM.

The city council equivalent in America put up a percentage of the money and help with maintenance costs. Plus when they build a stadium they actually build good transport links and have enough parking.

The city council equivalent in America put up a percentage of the money and help with maintenance costs. Plus when they build a stadium they actually build good transport links and have enough parking.

Yes, thus the difference between the $700M paid by club and the overall cost of the facility; the taxpayers are contributing $330M to the New Jersey facility to be shared by the Giants and the Jets.

You're correct about the parking and transit - it didn't used to be mandatory, so stadiums built in the 60's often have awful gridlock and little public transit, but modern American stadiums tend to be done with much more eye towards parking, access, and public transit.

Archived