One of my players has criticised my half-time team talk in a 3-1 win!

I'm utterly confused...

Okay, a **** midfielder, who in truth I only play when I have to (which is now going to be his last!), has decided to criticise my team talk after a 3-1 victory in the Blue Square Premier League. I recently started a new save and we're currently 2nd place 15 matches in.

At the break we were 1-0 up thanks to a penalty. My team talk was "Encourage"... I checked my assistant's notes on it, 4/11 players "looked delighted", one "seemed motivated, happy" and the rest "Nothing specific noted". One of these players was this midfielder... Yet after half time we hammered the opposition into the ground getting a further 2 goals with their goal being a very late (95th minute) consolation goal. I didn't think my team talk could have been more successful. Yet, "Unhappy Danny Holmes remarked that he personally felt a different approach had been necessary and that Clarke had completely misjudged the situation."

Why?

Actually, I might cop some flak for saying this. But to be very honest, a manager could never be 100% sure how his players are reacting to a team talk, which we can in the same due to our assistant.

I'm sure there have been times where you thought you gave a superb presentation when your audience probably thought you might be boring or rubbish.

I have played team sports before and lets be honest, there are times where we are winning at half time, and what the coach said would probably be nonsense and a waste of my time listening when I could spend time resting and just concentrating on the second half.

Therefore, I don't think this is entirely unrealistic to be honest.

I think the game needs to be balanced better for situations like this. For example, players should only complain about team talks if you either ignore them or rant and rave at them. Why would a player moan when you try to encourage him? OK the encouragement might not always work but he wouldn't get annoyed at you trying.

Ruin the guys career! I did that with Steven Taylor at Newcastle. He had moan - no one else had a problem with the win and halftime team talk. He said I '...completely misjudged the situation." when we were losing at 0-2 half time, and then we won 4-2 full time. All the others said 'seemed motivated, happy' or 'looked delighted some said nothing. But oh no, Mr Taylor, he moaned !

So I dropped him to the bench. The following week, he wanted to move to a bigger club - even tho he had sign a new 4 year deal... oh dear - In the reserve team he went ... Last I heard of him was he was unhappy, and only team interested in signing him was Southampton (in Championship) - and he has only played 10 games for the reserves in 2 and half seasons !!! (1 and half years left on his contract, I think he hates my guts!)

Haha, DON'T MESS WITH A MANAGER !

Ruin the guys career! I did that with Steven Taylor at Newcastle. He had moan - no one else had a problem with the win and halftime team talk. He said I '...completely misjudged the situation." when we were losing at 0-2 half time, and then we won 4-2 full time. All the others said 'seemed motivated, happy' or 'looked delighted some said nothing. But oh no, Mr Taylor, he moaned !

So I dropped him to the bench. The following week, he wanted to move to a bigger club - even tho he had sign a new 4 year deal... oh dear - In the reserve team he went ... Last I heard of him was he was unhappy, and only team interested in signing him was Southampton (in Championship) - and he has only played 10 games for the reserves in 2 and half seasons !!! (1 and half years left on his contract, I think he hates my guts!)

Haha, DON'T MESS WITH A MANAGER !

... So you wasted one of the best future defenders in the game... You could either have played him or sold him for immense amount a couple of seasons ahead.

I sense that some people have difficulties seperating FM from real life :D. Try to remember that the players aren't real people...

... So you wasted one of the best future defenders in the game... You could either have played him or sold him for immense amount a couple of seasons ahead.

I sense that some people have difficulties seperating FM from real life :D. Try to remember that the players aren't real people...

It wasn't necessarily a bad idea. I'd have done the same thing. If a player messes with me he's out regardless of how good he might be. These players need to be brought back down to earth even if it is only on FM :)

I have ruined some players careers... Not really worth it in truth.

Lewin Nyatanga in my Derby game. So, it was my 4th season in, Nyatanga was more or less the first choice back up for the defense, but never really got a major run in the first team. Then bam, John Arne Riise, out for 2 months, so in comes Lewin at left back. Did well, not as well as Riise, but did well enough to continue pushing from the title, he even earned a new 5 year contract. After Riise was back, Nyatanga was back on the bench, but this time he felt as if he deserved a first team place. So to the reserves he went for that entire 5 year contract! But, in my 8th season, towards the end of this contract, he was getting ready to pack his bags and leave, but he didn't want to in the end, and in fact signed another 5 year contact, at a 3rd the wages of the last one! Needless to say, he was about 30 by the time he left the club, not playing since he was 21.

First off, all he's saying is that he, personally, was unhappy with his team-talk. It wasn't the "right" team-talk for him, in that situation. Its not a criticism of the team-wide talk, which you obviously have evidence was well-chosen.

Its most likely that he wanted to be praised for his first-half performance.

I know wolfsong's guide says "Encourage" for all 1-0 leads, but I've had some success with "Pleased" in some circumstances, with players getting very excited by it. (I also suspect that some of the "don't give the team enough credit" complaints are related to not getting enough half-time praise.)

Some players really crave praise more than others.

Was he, personally, on an 8 at half-time?

I have ruined some players careers... Not really worth it in truth.

Lewin Nyatanga in my Derby game. So, it was my 4th season in, Nyatanga was more or less the first choice back up for the defense, but never really got a major run in the first team. Then bam, John Arne Riise, out for 2 months, so in comes Lewin at left back. Did well, not as well as Riise, but did well enough to continue pushing from the title, he even earned a new 5 year contract. After Riise was back, Nyatanga was back on the bench, but this time he felt as if he deserved a first team place. So to the reserves he went for that entire 5 year contract! But, in my 8th season, towards the end of this contract, he was getting ready to pack his bags and leave, but he didn't want to in the end, and in fact signed another 5 year contact, at a 3rd the wages of the last one! Needless to say, he was about 30 by the time he left the club, not playing since he was 21.

And this just makes you sound like an idiot.

You do realise that a lot of players will complain if they have a long run in the first team and then get dropped.

Lighten up, it's just a bit of fun, n'est pas? And isn't the whole point that it's not reality? i.e. you wouldn't do this if you were a real life football manager but in the game it is something that you can do... ;)

I think for as long as a player does his job on the pitch without disturbing the team he can say whatever we wants ( or be as unhappy as he wants) , 2 games in the raw playing for 6 gets him a warning for poor performance , 2 more and he is going to spend the rest of the season in my B squad .

He will get a chance next season and if he is not as good as i want then he goes to the transfer list.

Players are property , wasting them completely is like shooting yourself in the foot.

Archived