how do I get youngsters

I am new to the game (and football) and am wondering how the team obtains new youngsters. Is there a draft each season? Do new players from the teams area just sign up? how does it work? I am quite a ways off from finishing my first season, but was curious.

In most countries, you'll get a message at the season reset date tellling you you have five or six new youngsters. It gives you their names which you can click on and see their profile, and your assistant will tell you who is the best of the lot. You'll find them in your under 18 squad (or under 21 depending on where you are managing). Don't forget to put them on training schedules and FYI, you will get this message on the 19th July in England. The quality of the players depends on the quality of your youth facilities.

It represents players either coming through a youth academy or simply local players joining the team, but that isn't actually shown in the game.

In America, there is a draft system where you pick youngsters fresh from High School, but you don't need to know that unless you're managing in the MLS.

You will get a message saying new players have been added to your youth team in mid-June. It is automatic and you have no control over who they are or how good they are, although larger clubs that have a youth academy will get better youngsters.

You'll also find it useful to purchase or sign youth players that your scouts recommend, especially if they have four or more stars for "Potential" or if the Scout report says "Could go on to be a leading {your league here} player." Mix these guys in with the players from your youth academy for the best long-term success.

OH! Also, if you get a player through your youth academy whom you really like - your assistant loved him, your coaches rate him very highly, etc ... remember that he's on a part-time youth contract at the moment. Other clubs can sign him away from you for pennies. You should offer him a contract immediately, "Full Time", "Youngster" or "Hot Prospect" status, with as long a length as you can get, e.g., a 4-5 year contract. He may not be old enough to sign right away, but he will sign a pre-contract, which prevents other teams from "poaching" him off of you.

Of course, you can always go poach off the AI teams ... ;)

When a mummy manger and a daddy manager love each other very much, they hug in a special way!!! Sorry couldnt resist with that thread title. Seriously they usually added in a 'batch' at the start of a new season, you will get a message about it and assistant will pick out the best prospect for you.

remember that he's on a part-time youth contract at the moment. Other clubs can sign him away from you for pennies. You should offer him a contract immediately, "Full Time", "Youngster" or "Hot Prospect" status, with as long a length as you can get, e.g., a 4-5 year contract. He may not be old enough to sign right away, but he will sign a pre-contract, which prevents other teams from "poaching" him off of you.

Of course, you can always go poach off the AI teams ... ;)

They never do.. I have 8-10 U-18s that have PA: 180+..

And they never try to sign them (the dishonest way)..

I raise my eyebrows at that claim .. Though I have to confess that the last time I didn't protect my youth players in this way was in FM'05.

Then, I got badly burned with one of my best youth players abandoning me for little or no compensation at age 17, and I had to watch for years as he tore it up at Real Madrid ... its made me much more careful about making sure I have people under Full-Time professional contracts, not simple Youth contracts, in every version of the game since then.

There's another good reason for that, in FM'08, though - the "Youth" training schedule is part-time, and you can't move a player to the Full-Time training schedule until you have him on a full-time contract. So, again, you're best suited to get your top prospects on a Full-Time professional contracts as soon as you can.

My tip is to send your scouts to the youth leagues in your game and you will be able to tell by how much potential the player has whether he will be good or not...ie players can vary from being decent, good or even leading/star player in the league your in.

Quickest way is getting a report card - tells you the info you need.

You can keep the players in your youth team for a season then put him out on loan for a season then take it from there. This way you can build up an excellent youth team and 'conveyor belt' of talent, also the players you dont want you can always make a profit by selling them if you dont think they will fit into your team.

Watch out for German M-C and D-R. Spanish M-C & French M-C. English players are a little harder I find because of the competition and asking prices.

Archived