Career Games

Hi Guys.

Just a few questions about your FM careers.

I've just started a long one choosing International Footballer as my experience, aiming to win the top division in all the leagues i loaded, hopefully it will last me until FM09

I loaded, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, India, Ireland, Italy, Northern Ireland, Norway Portugal, Romania, Russia, Scotland, South Africa, Spain,Turkey, USA, Ukraine, Wales.

I started off by choosing Kaizer Chiefs in South Africa.

My questions are though, how long until you get offers from around the world? do you resign and apply for other jobs or would you risk getting sacked by applying whilst employed? or do you just wait around until something comes up?

if you do get sacked because you apply does this affect your chances of getting another job?

cheers

i don't load so many leagues, but at sevilla i applied for the milan job. they finished 11th and i got 3rd in season 07/08. they laughed me off, which hurt my pride a little, but i was a "professional footballer". i doubt i would have got the job if i was international instead, not so early anyway, but i seriously though milan underachieving so badly would give me a chance, considering that i wasn't that far from winning the league.

in your case, i would stick with the chiefs until you can get an national team job. that would increase your exposure, especially if you qualify for a national tournament. i have never had an offer in my long term games with high reputation clubs, i don't think i've changed jobs on fm08 apart from czech republic for england, but resigning is certainly not a good idea until you have a rep. getting sacked might have a bearing on getting another job (i wouldn't know), but i don't think you can get sacked for applying once.

at the end of may or june, set the jobs screen as your homepage. some decent jobs are snapped up quickly, i.e. same day without any news item, but you might see one which fits your current rep. just don't apply too often in a short space of time.

Hi dexta, I'm playing a fantastic career game at the moment. I started off at PSV - lower league, relatively easy. And so it proved to be as I won the league and (through sheer luck) reached the final of either the Euro Cup or the UEFA Cup - I can't remember off the top of my head. I spent two years there before going to Lyon where I think I lasted another two years, then off to Arsenal for three years, Porto for one year, Milan for two years and Chelsea for 18 months and then off to Gillingham (in League One, but couldn't save them from relegation). I had a 24 spell at NY Red Bulls at some point as well. I've had a great time so far, and am now enjoying putting down some roots and trying to build Gillingham into a force - which is difficult, but is made easier by the fact I'm a "legendary manager" so can attract decent players.

I only once quit without getting a job, though I think I had the England job to tie me over and I think I went a whole season without a club at the same time. Generally I apply while still at the club. It's great fun!

• SI Staff

I'll give you credit for starting with the Kaiser Chiefs, it will undoubtedly take you longer to achieve the required reputation for job offers as opposed to starting with Chelsea for example. Starting in India would probably take a seriously long time to get your rep up!

In my game I spent over 5 years at Hartlepool and finished 5th in the Premiership at the end of the 2011/12 season. I noticed my reputation had increased to Continental (possibly as a result of playing the UEFA cup?) and I actually resigned a couple of months into the 2012/13 season as I started the season badly, was getting sick of players constantly demanding increased wages and generally felt that I'd taken them far enough. I was unemployed for about a month, then realised that Gianluca Vialli's position at Juventus was precarious. I declared my interest in the job, Vialli was sacked, I was appointed and so far its all gravy! So for the big jobs I'd say Continental is the minimum reputation required to move to the bigger clubs abroad.

"Continental" reputation is a bit of a strange one really - I assume it is triggered by an absolute value for reputation, yet the name implies you have a reputation that makes you known across whatever continent you are managing in, so that would be very different in real terms depending which continent you are actually in! A continental reputation in Australasia wouldn't be worth much!

• SI Staff

Yeah true, hence why an earlier comment about getting into international management was probably a good shout. Surely to move from, say, India to Europe you would need a worldwide rep, but how would you get that? Win the World Club Championship? Now there's a challenge!

Archived