...OK I am.

Arsenal (My Team): Shots 18

On Target 10

Off Target 8

Fulham: Shots 1

On 0

Off 1

Final score 0-0

Can someone please tell me where I am going wrong? I have Adebayor and Aguero up front so its not like they can't finish...and don't think this game was a one off...its just the latest of a series of pure ANNOYINGNESS. Is it just one oif those things or is thier a tactical way to cut down this problem?

First, what patch are you using?

Second, try the tactics forum. I've never really had this problem since patching so I don't know what to change but the tactics forum has a wealth of information in there.

Third, Don't just base your thoughts on one game. You need to base it on several games AND be sure that your tactics are creating good chances. The 18 shots tell us only that - you had 18 shots. From that you can't tell if they were from good positions or if your players took 15 shots from the half way line.

And last of all, remember - this happens IRL. Take the Arsenal - WBA game at the weekend, Arsenal ahd something like 18 shots and only scored once.

Is it just one oif those things or is thier a tactical way to cut down this problem?

Well it could be either to be honest. Unfortunately theres no way to tell.

Personally, when I get games like that, I just put it down to bad luck. It happens at times in real life, so why not on FM?

Just crack on with your game and hope it doesn't become a regular scenario. If it does, then head over to the Tactics and Training Tips forum, there's plenty of helpful advise in there.

im usuing patch 8.02

it happens A LOT! Probably once every three games where i just feel hard done by (having umpteen shots on target for no return). i know it sounds like sour grapes but i just want a genuine explanation- tactical issues or whatever it may be.

mate, i recomend watching the game. my guess is that your guys are taking long shots.

try restricting that with your instructions, use a player as a target man, get him to hold up the ball and play it through to a striker closer to the goal.

you will still see the occasional game where you have a million shots on target, they have 1 and you loose 1-nil, it happens, but i see it happen in my favour sometimes too. it's all about luck.

hope over to the tactics forum and try some of theirs out, once you see what they are doing right, design one yourself. it worked for me and i haven't looked back.

best of luck mate.

The tactics side of things on FM08 is all-important when playing the game. Also, the tempo of your game is a big influence. You're probably playing at a fairly quick tempo. If that's the case, and by half time you are having one of "those" games, slow the tempo a little for the second half, maybe change your passing style.

There's no formula, but if, for example, my team settings are direct, fast-tempo passing with attacking mentality, I find that even though I have superior players they are still going all out for goal, snatching at every chance, resulting in a lot of shots on target but not many goals. It may LOOK like I'm slaughtering them on the 2D engine but really I'm just giving the GK a bit of a training session. If that's the case, at half time I may change my mentality to normal, short, mixed-pace passing. Might even go to slow passing and sub on a faster winger/ST if I've not scored by 65 mins.

Conversely, if I start out a bit defensive and am having a lot of shots on target, this means my players are taking too MUCH time and looking to pick out the perfect shot. I'll increase the tempo a little and go to direct passing.

I can't remember the last time I had a 0-0 draw or 1-0 defeat when my shots-to-goal ratio has been far superior.

Lots of things to try when it ain't going for you. More options over in Tactics and Training.

Archived