Dubious goals

I've been alleged to have had a few of these throughout my managerial career, some were, some weren't. I can understand the point of this feature with offsides, but I just got told one of my players may have handled the ball before scoring! I even got a chance to view the incident. Seeing as there is no possible way to see a handball in this game, is there any point this being in? Or, at the very least, do you think there is much point being asked about it afterwards?

I'm expecting FM09 to have a clearer way of telling if an incident was right or wrong, so hopefully there will be some point.

Right now, probably only for realism's sake, its been a major complaint since this feature came in.

Yeah, I do like that they have introduced this type of controversy into the game though, but there should be some restraint with it, like not allowing it to interfere with important games

I disagree. Thats football I'm afraid. I bet Wenger wished the same thing when that penalty was given against them p[laying Birmingham.

"Damn, I wish this sort of thing didn't affect these games"

:D

I think that this feature can't properly work with a 2d match engine. The match needs to be alot more visually advanced to be able to judge fouls, pushes, handballs etc. It works for offsides but its a feature i certainly wouldn't miss.

It can. All we need is the AM to tell us wether it was right or wrong. Simple as.

I'm with Mac on this one.

I think the direction to move here is a bit more options to say, rather than the limited "Ref was wrong, Ref was wrong, No comment, Ref was right, Ref was right" spectrum we have now.

I'd replace one of the wrongs with "That wasn't the only questionable call in that game", I'd replace one of the rights with something that calls my team out for their performance: "We need to do enough on the pitch to win the game no matter what the referee decides," and I'd add a sixth one that says "Both sides benefited from some dubious decisions, but at least the ref was consistent."

I think that gives us a wider range of things to say, applicable comments that I've wanted to say but haven't had the opportunity to, and a wider range of potential impacts.

If the feature were to be left in then I'd certainly want the ability to complain about a referee properly, not just when the game tells me I can. I've had a lot of matches where there were yellows and reds that should have been given, but weren't, as well as these goal discrepancies.

I'm with Mac on this one.

I think the direction to move here is a bit more options to say, rather than the limited "Ref was wrong, Ref was wrong, No comment, Ref was right, Ref was right" spectrum we have now.

I'd replace one of the wrongs with "That wasn't the only questionable call in that game", I'd replace one of the rights with something that calls my team out for their performance: "We need to do enough on the pitch to win the game no matter what the referee decides," and I'd add a sixth one that says "Both sides benefited from some dubious decisions, but at least the ref was consistent."

I think that gives us a wider range of things to say, applicable comments that I've wanted to say but haven't had the opportunity to, and a wider range of potential impacts.

Some nice ideas there. It really annoys me when i comfortably win a game only for it to seem like it focuses on a 'dubious' penalty when you're 4-0 up. Expanding the answers like above would be great for these situations.

I think this would be a good way to develop the feature as it means you can focus on other aspects of the match as well and not just be guessing on whether you're blob really did push the defender. As i said above, the match engine is not visually good enough to make such decisions and i want to be giving my own on opinion on such incidents, not my assistant manager's.

True - but it changes the game from "Guess whether the call was right or not" to more of a "What message do you want to convey, and to whom?" game.

In some ways its just like team-talks: I don't want there to be a "right" answer and a "wrong" answer, I want it to be subtle enough that I can motivate, encourage, support, or pile pressure onto my players .. or the referee .. depending on what I say.

Archived