MLS Designated Player

Right, so I've never played in MLS before so maybe I'm missing something but I've played three seasons now with New York Red Bulls and I really want to sign a big name striker to replace Angel who I've just got rid of due to old age. I've got the players interested in joining but I can only offer them First Team and a limit of about 3'500k per week wages and they aren't gona join me for that yet other teams, and me with Angel, had players as Designated and could offer them massive ammounts of cash and it didn't seem to add to the wage cap...

So basically, how the hell do I sign someone as a Designated Player?

MLS teams only have one designated player slot. You can trade for a 2nd, but no team may have more than two. I would assume that someone on your team is taking up your designated player slot, so you won't be able to sign a new designated player until you've offloaded him or signed him on a non-designated player contract.

MLS teams only have one designated player slot. You can trade for a 2nd, but no team may have more than two. I would assume that Angel is taking up your designated player slot, so you won't be able to sign a new designated player until you've offloaded Angel or signed him on a non-designated player contract.

He has offloaded Angel.

"I really want to sign a big name striker to replace Angel who I've just got rid of due to old age."

If you just got rid of Angel, e.g., by selling him to a non-MLS club, you still hold the MLS rights to him for a while (end of that season?) so he may still be counting as your designated player. I have this problem having sold Donovan, am hoping it clears up once the season ticks over.

Nope, he went after the first season to some Mexican club (Reyna that is). I didn't realise you could trade designated player slots... I am actually quite enjoying playing in MLS, it's a lot more difficult it seems to be consistently successful with the wage cap, international player rules etc.

Archived