Youth Contracts

Could someone explain--or give me a link that explains youth contracts? I have figured out that young players joining a team are given youth contracts and can be offered an adult contract that becomes effective when they turn 17. Until what age can a player have a youth contract and what is the practical difference between having an adult contract vs a youth contract?

John

A youth contract last the duration of the contract. 18 year old players can not sign new "youth" contracts, but can remain on a youth contract that they signed at 17.

Players on youth contracts train in the youth category. Players not on youth contracts, don't. AFAIK, thats the only difference.

Also once you see a player on a youth contract im pretty sure you cant sign them till they sign their professional contract, just look in their transfer section stating when they sign this contract. Its what clubs do to lock the young player in so big clubs dont come and poach them.

yeah and you can't loan them out

As per FA rules... although clubs IRL get around this using Work Experience. Maybe that could be included? Sending off a 17 year old to a lower division for 3 months or so, testing him out in senior football,

Also once you see a player on a youth contract im pretty sure you cant sign them till they sign their professional contract, just look in their transfer section stating when they sign this contract. Its what clubs do to lock the young player in so big clubs dont come and poach them.

You can only not sign them if they've signed a pre-contract deal.

You can only not sign them if they've signed a pre-contract deal.

You can sign them in FM08 even if they have a pre-contract - provided you are a big enough team and you offer them more money than they want (£500/£600p/w seems to work for me). Your manager reputation may also have something to do with it - as most of the youngsters I sign say they want to work with me.

Archived