Football Manager 1997/1998?

Today I dug out my old Championship Manager 99/00 CD and tried playing it again. I was just feeling a bit nostalgic about the old time in football. Undortunately, I am very much used to the new versions so it was impossible.

My point is that it would be awesome if SI release some patch of FM 2008 or FM 2009 where the game starts lets say in 1997, with all the players and league rules from that time. I know its difficult to rework the entire database, but the good thing is nothing else needs to be changed. Besides, it may only have English, German, Spanish and Italian first divisions. I'd really like to hear other opinions on this matter.

What's the point? You know who all the good guys are, and those who have unexpectedly become good (who remembers when Judas Campbell was called Solvimir and was a forward?) wont be and you'd get frustrated.

It would involve recoding the whole database to the new format. Of course if you want to play it that badly then I'm sure you'd happily do it wouldn't you.

Wouldn't you? :)

VB

I doubt SI would spend time making this but there historic teams you can download from FM fansites and I think there are some in the editors forum (correct me if i'm wrong). If you particularly want 97/98 season then you could have a go at creating it yourself i'm sure you could get people to help you out

I could do it. If SI hire me :)) One possibility is to create all players from first divisions of England Spain Germany and Italy and only the major players from minor or lower league clubs. The rest can be randomly generated or grey. That would make things much easier but would still be playable.

I doubt SI would spend time making this but there historic teams you can download from FM fansites and I think there are some in the editors forum (correct me if i'm wrong). If you particularly want 97/98 season then you could have a go at creating it yourself i'm sure you could get people to help you out

I don't think SI would do it, but if they did and released it as a separate game I would buy it and I don't think I would be the only one. Easy money.

"Easy" money?

Ok. Go and create one division of one league from scratch. Then come back and tell us how "easy" doing an entire database would be, and how happy you'd be accepting £15 for your time and effort.

i play baseboll mogul 2008/9 sometimes

and in that u have the option to start other year then the optional with the player stats as they was back then if using other other start date like 1997 or 1922. they have saved all previus versions databases of the game and added a few new.they have also added stadium moves/expansions/name changes.

so if u start a new game with for example new york giants back in 1900 they change name and stadiums a few times and i think they move to san fransisco in 1958 and change name to SA giants.

its realy cool that game to play couse u can start in 1900 and play to modern days. they have infaltion in the game so players earn very little in 1910 but increasing slowly during the time to modern figures, also talents from real world pop up in the game. the draft system makes it very balanced and hard to stockpile talents.

would be cool if fm/cm series could do the same but only with the games they have released. like playing Blackburn with a shearer and at same time a ****poor shitty chelsea to have as crap team. and then put in historic "events" like new chairmens and stadiums that benefits teams like they did historicly. cm started in 1995 so play that version of the games with 2008 engine with be ubersupercool.

The trouble is with that analogy is that Baseball Mogul (note the spelling :)) uses historical data to guesstimate a players attributes.

Football players haven't got such "set in stone" stats that it's easy to derive attributes from. Not sure if Prozone provides enough data to do it, but that's not in the FM canon, sooooo.

"Easy" money?

Ok. Go and create one division of one league from scratch. Then come back and tell us how "easy" doing an entire database would be, and how happy you'd be accepting £15 for your time and effort.

I'd be happy to do Bulgarian First Division or Italian Serie A for any season of the 90s. 15 pounds is ridiculous though

there is one someone released on a fansite cant remember which one but its the 92/93 season with all old players pretty good van basten,cantona,zidane,gascoigne etc player pics also dont know how to post it though its a database if anyone would like to help me on how to send i'd be glad to post

considering that there is still thegame with all the players and teams of the time i dont really think it would be that hard creating the new database but it would take some time to make it so that all the players have the same stats and you would need to remake all the retired players which would be extremely boring lol

The trouble is with that analogy is that Baseball Mogul (note the spelling :)) uses historical data to guesstimate a players attributes.

Football players haven't got such "set in stone" stats that it's easy to derive attributes from. Not sure if Prozone provides enough data to do it, but that's not in the FM canon, sooooo.

True, but as a player of Baseball Mogul myself and having conversed with the designer, each game sets up differently. A fresh restart of the game won't show the same players with the same potential or even the same starting abilities. Mogul also allows for injuries to affect player performance over time. If "FM Classic" allowed for a player injury to affect performance over time, it would add enough "difference" to make it infinitely replayable. I might well want to do that.

definatley. I'd love that. i would even considering paying some one pound sterling from pay pal for them to make that. you could buy all the old greats and snag them youngsters before they get big! great idea!!!

Archived