Scouting PA query

Recently sold what I thought was a promising 21 yr old striker for my Serie C save as Ass Man JPP 16 said he was playing at close to full potential. I assumed this to be fairly accurate with a JPP 16. After selling him I had him scouted by my best scout JPP 20 (JPA 20) who confirmed this. Decided to check on Genie Scout and his CA was 95 and PA 123 which seems to contradict them.

Are there other factors that impact on a scouts assessment of JPP other than the JPP attribute. I'm thinking of maybe his other attributes, or the fact my facilities are poor and maybe the player couldn't grow any more at my club etc.

To be fair he was playing close to full potential. I don't check editors but I see 'close to full potential' to mean that he can maybe gain another half a star or so.

18pts difference is not close.

Nobody would consider 182 CA and 200 PA close to full potential.

remember that the scouts aren't trying to be robots. they are meant to be fallible.

But you would expect 1 of the 2 to be a bit more accurate. There must be another reason for them both appearing to get it so wrong

But you would expect 1 of the 2 to be a bit more accurate. There must be another reason for them both appearing to get it so wrong

coaches and scouts often change their mind over players. at the begining of the game, Shelvey is considered a 3and a half star player. when i didn't play him for a while, he dropped to 2and a half for about 6 months. he then went up to 3 stars. and finally back to 3and a half.

depending on how he is playing for your team, how much he is playing for your team could also affect the scouts thoughts on the players potential

Scouts factor in the player's age at the very least. A 21 year old won't improve as much as a 17 year old, so a 21 y/o and a 17 y/o with the same PA will probably be rated with different potentials at that age.

It's possible they take the ability of the club to help the player to improve into account too... personally I don't think they should do, but they might.

coaches and scouts often change their mind over players. at the begining of the game, Shelvey is considered a 3and a half star player. when i didn't play him for a while, he dropped to 2and a half for about 6 months. he then went up to 3 stars. and finally back to 3and a half.

depending on how he is playing for your team, how much he is playing for your team could also affect the scouts thoughts on the players potential

But doesn't that sort of defeat the object. I have an Ass Man who has a JPP 16 because I need his advice on how good a player is likely to become because it helps me plan my future squads. I have no real way of knowing the potential of a player any other way so if he can't guide me then what is the point of a JPP system?

Likewise I have a scout with a JPP 20 because I need his advice on whether a player is likely to improve to the standard I require. If he can't tell me with JPP 20 then who can?

Hence my question about what other factors may influence their judgement as if nothing else does then why am I bothering to try and hire personnel with the best JPP attributes when I could get somebody cheaper. Interestingly one of my coaches with JPP 7 actually said this player would improve in the future!

Scouts factor in the player's age at the very least. A 21 year old won't improve as much as a 17 year old, so a 21 y/o and a 17 y/o with the same PA will probably be rated with different potentials at that age.

It's possible they take the ability of the club to help the player to improve into account too... personally I don't think they should do, but they might.

On your first point then maybe but if a players CA is able to grow by 25% then you would expect the staff to be able to tell you this. To be honest I probably wouldn't have sold him had I known because it looks like if he could reach his Pa he would be half decent for the next league up.

On your second point you could well be right and this maybe the reason in which case we need to be told this stuff as I would then know I had made the right decision to sell him knowing he wasn't actually going to improve to his PA and alsoknowing that my staff had called it correctly ( which is what I pay them for after all )

But doesn't that sort of defeat the object. I have an Ass Man who has a JPP 16 because I need his advice on how good a player is likely to become because it helps me plan my future squads. I have no real way of knowing the potential of a player any other way so if he can't guide me then what is the point of a JPP system?

Likewise I have a scout with a JPP 20 because I need his advice on whether a player is likely to improve to the standard I require. If he can't tell me with JPP 20 then who can?

Hence my question about what other factors may influence their judgement as if nothing else does then why am I bothering to try and hire personnel with the best JPP attributes when I could get somebody cheaper. Interestingly one of my coaches with JPP 7 actually said this player would improve in the future!

even in real life, if a player - in the current squad and current team tactics - isn't showing much ability to improve, then that will colour the judgement of a staff member. some coaches will see through it, others will see the player struggling to improve and think its just down to the player having hit their potential. sometimes, in real life at least, it comes down to Instinct on the side of the Coach. I've no idea if that is coded within FM but even the [potentially] best players can look less than brilliant if they are not being played and trained to their ability.

even in real life, if a player - in the current squad and current team tactics - isn't showing much ability to improve, then that will colour the judgement of a staff member. some coaches will see through it, others will see the player struggling to improve and think its just down to the player having hit their potential. sometimes, in real life at least, it comes down to Instinct on the side of the Coach. I've no idea if that is coded within FM but even the [potentially] best players can look less than brilliant if they are not being played and trained to their ability.

Interesting and valid point as we all want the game to reflect true life as much as possible but you do need the game to have certain consistent features that assist in your decision making. Having a JPP 7 Coach giving a better assessment than a JPP 16 Ass Man sort of leaves you with nowhere to go

Archived