Player with different nationalities

There is no way to convince him. It's something which has been often requested in FM - the ability to try and convince a player to switch allegiance, but as yet SI has not added this functionality. It happens in real like - for instance Australia convinced Rhys Williams to change from Wales.

That said, the only way is to wait. I have a regen player of Australian/English nationality. He's in the English U-21 team but his PA (yes, I'm a FMRTE user) means he will ever make the senior team. That said he is good enough for Australia (and indeed will be a decent Prem player) all I can do is to wait until he's finished his u21 adventures and eventually gives up waiting for England to come calling.

So just keep trying, but try OFTEN - as in try between international windows and not just when asked to pick a team. There is nothing worse than the player suddenly playing for the nationality because he's decided first come, first serve and the other team nabs him.

I have a similar problem when I dabbled as England manager, in that I have a guy who is half English and half Australian (eligible for both) and when I first clocked him as somebody would like to play for England main team, he was already selected for Australia U21s, and nothing I could.....

.....and just noticed gmcker's post. :)

A few more points:

1: Add such dual nationals to your news subscriptions. If they get injured before an international, they won't get picked for the other nation's international/youth team. This means they will be free for selection once they recover, provided you selected them for your team as soon as they recover (and they don't have their heart set on the other team). Don't wait for the next time you are asked to pick a squad or they will be re-selected for the other nation again.

2: There are, of course, various little things you can do, like add another manager to take control of the other country and drop the player from the youth team, though that player still may not want to be called up by your nation at the time. You may need to control that other country for ages to keep him out of their team until they get tired waiting. Or you can use FMRTE to edit things. Personally I do neither of these things any more, mostly because I cannot be bothered and prefer to spend my time progressing the game than tweaking it. But if you are running a smaller db, are managing a smaller nation with a small playing pool or regens simply aren't being created for some positions, such tweaking can be useful for the sake of a better international experience. (This is not a threat for the morality of cheating!)

3: Finally, what I DO do is every year schedule a senior team friendly or two against very weak teams (East Timor, Bhutan etc) and play any dual-national youngsters with a lot of potential who are happy to be called up. A lot of the Australian youth players have dual nationalities with England, Croatia, Greece etc. I would hate to miss them and find they are suddenly called up to the Greece team. This way I lock them in knowing I can drop them and eventually pick them if and when they get good enough. Good regens can be rare so I have to take as many as I can grab :)

hmm interesting options. would be easier to ask. Hate a when a player has never been called up to any youth team but is still waiting for the other country. Im managing new zealand so alot of people will do! lol

I felt a bit guilty locking in an Australian player with Sudan as their second nationality. He had a great PA and was in my U21 team, but after I gave him a cap I felt maybe a smaller footballing nation deserved a good player for once...

I've always said SI needs to improve and expand the options in international management.

This is one of the things that has disappointed and annoyed me in the past. There are a good amount of players who have switched allegiances after being persuaded.

I hate seeing decent players not switching countries because they are 'declared for nation'. I've seen good players who pick up a second nationality, never play international even though they've picked up a 2nd/3rd nationality. Players should be able to change their minds.

I need to adapt what I said earlier about locking in youth players. One capped Australian player (a real one - the Roar keeper) has just been picked for Greece. I gave him his only cap for Australia in a Friendly. I think you need to give them a cap in a competitive game to lock them in, so a couple of minutes in a qualifier will do it. Or just take control of the U23 team and park them until you can call them up to a competitive game.

I'm not sure if playing for the Olympics team also locks them in. Can someone clarify the rules on lock in plays for a particular country as it happens in FM12?

I've always said SI needs to improve and expand the options in international management.

This is one of the things that has disappointed and annoyed me in the past. There are a good amount of players who have switched allegiances after being persuaded.

I hate seeing decent players not switching countries because they are 'declared for nation'. I've seen good players who pick up a second nationality, never play international even though they've picked up a 2nd/3rd nationality. Players should be able to change their minds.

I agree, with the exception of real players who in real life have declared themselves. Ok the real players have gone on to change their mind in real life and this is fixed in later versions of FM, but for regens and those who have never made a public comment about it, there should be a way to talk to them about it.

Not sure about the Olympics but I know that FIFA changed the rules in real life so that a player was still eligible for all countries that he was previously eligible for until he had actually played a competitive fixture for a country's full international team.

I would assume that FM follows these rules.

Not sure about the Olympics but I know that FIFA changed the rules in real life so that a player was still eligible for all countries that he was previously eligible for until he had actually played a competitive fixture for a country's full international team.

I would assume that FM follows these rules.

That's what I am seeing.

I don't think I am seeing a Declared For Nation once that competitive cap has been given but haven't properly tested it. I'll do some testing.

Has anyone written a guide for international management? Some of my advice was required in older version but not for FM12. For instance in older versions I tried to convince my national players to move to an active league so their stats would increase - i.e. I would cap them to raise their rep and hope some team would notice and sign them. However I read yesterday that with FM12 players in inactive leagues are better modelled so their stats increase. That's definitely what I am seeing, with A-League players coming on in leaps in bounds while in previous versions players would hit a ceiling.

Archived