How are player to staff attributes calculated?

Some get taken straight over, but the most accurate description is "randomly".

Taken straight over?

So a world class player could be allocated terrible coaching attributes and a poor player could be allocated incredible coaching attributes? I always just assumed that it depended on the reputation of a player.

From my somewhat limited experience with this, Ackter's description is correct.

I think the players PA is transferred to the Staff attributes, but as with players potential, the whole "randomness" issue of a regen comes back into play. So whilst the potential might be there, the application and/or desire to achieve it may not be.

I have had some rather average squad players turn out to be terrific coaches. And a world class player, turn into an ordinary scout.

I have no idea how it works but I'd be greatly disappointed if either a player's ability or reputation tracked closely with his subsequent skill as a staff member. Point being, great skill as a player does not necessarily translate into great coaching or scouting ability. Similarly, a great reputation may open a few doors and score a few "influence" points here and there but, again, it doesn't translate directly into management skill. Some great players become great coaches, some do not. Indeed, an argument can be made that it's often a hindrance. I'm drawing on American football here but there have been cases where a highly-regarded former player failed as a coach because he could not relate to the lesser skills of his average squad players. Conversely, a lot of our really great coaches were average players.

Archived