Who do you close down?

Just wondering how you go about closing down the other team. Playing with Brighton in FM09, and we are top of league 2. I usually close down own area, but my problem is in opposition instructions. In general who do you mark / close down here?

I like to close down central midfielders, as that's where all the play comes in, but I also have to close down the players on the wing to limit the number of dangerous crosses. The question is that if I spend so much time closing down their players, does that limit the amount of creativity, and free playing time my own team get? Can we really play our own game if we are watching and closing down the opposition all the time? Surely that takes away from our own possession?

Brighton have a pretty good midfield - we can match any of the other teams I think, we just have to be careful of complacency against some of the smaller teams.

My previous team was Hereford, also league 2, pretty good midfield, but not as good as my current team. I had similar closing down instructions, but often ended up getting dominated. Just wondering what you guys do here?

Thanks from Brighton and hove Albion :)

On the Opposition instructions i will generally close down players with low composure and/or decisions though it also depends on the formation that they are playing of course but closing down a center defender or defensive midfielder with those attributes low can sometimes force them into mistakes and get a goal or good chance from it.

Archived