Why did we drop 17 places?

End of third season, competition rankings listed: my Aberdeen team reached the last 16 of the Champions' League and yet the SPL dropped 17 places from 15th to 32nd, below the French Ligue 2, the Belarusian Highest League and the Austrian FA Cup?!

How exactly did this happen? I'm perplexed.

End of third season, competition rankings listed: my Aberdeen team reached the last 16 of the Champions' League and yet the SPL dropped 17 places from 15th to 32nd, below the French Ligue 2, the Belarusian Highest League and the Austrian FA Cup?!

How exactly did this happen? I'm perplexed.

Maybe other teams were awful?

Decided to combat this by buying locally. Pumping money into lower SPL clubs for their better players so they can go out and buy a whole new team. Seems to be working so far. Not paying over the odds of course but so far Motherwell, St. Mirren and Falkirk have received £1m+ for their best players (Shaun Hutchinson, Kenny McLean and a classy regen respectively).

Does country ranking work the same way as club ranking, which is a rolling 5 year total?. If so, perhaps very good results from 5 years ago has just dropped off the figure?

If that's the case it's the 2007/08 season that just dropped off (I think) the year that Rangers reached the UEFA Cup final. So that's believable too.

Archived