Defending corners

I've always thought there wasn't much point having players man-marking unless they're good at it. So I have attacking players "go back."

Otherwise, someone big on the posts, defenders marking, fast player on the edge of the area, no one staying forwards because it's a waste of time.

Beware of short full-backs on posts or marking big strikers.

I try to have as many men as possible marking tall players. Since "Go Back" instructions typically make the players stand around roughly on the penalty spot, where they are completely useless, I tend to limit that instruction to only one or two players. I usually set my wingers to mark the posts, and the rest man mark/mark small player. You won't get any more counter attacks by having players stay forward than if you have one guy at edge of area.

I usually throw one of my tallest player to mark near post, 1 fast guy on the edge of area, 1 close down corner, the rest man mark (tall, small, whatever, depends on jumping stat)

I like the "1 fast guy on the edge of the area" tip a lot. I've had a couple of break away goals already from this guy picking up the ball and scampering up the pitch before squaring to a collegue. Good stuff.

This is how i do my defending corners and it works well

5 back

2 marking the posts

3 forward

if you leave 3 forward the opposition marks them 3 forward players, meaning there isn't as many opposition players in your box to score.

Hope that makes sense.

Archived