Why are coaches getting better...at being worse???

Here's the scenario:

Two coaches (Jim Brennan and Danny Dichio) start out the game with Toronto FC's Academy team. I've given them both 100 CA and 135 PA in the database. Brennan has a 12 Determination, 13 Discipline and 18 motivating (DDM of 43.) Dichio has a 14 in each (DDM of 42.)

Fast forward to October of 2014 and they now look like this:

Brennan has a CA of 105, but his DDM atts are now 7/13/14, for a DDM of 34!

Dichio has a CA of 112, but his DDM atts are now 7/14/12, for a DDM of 33!

What gives? If their CA is apparently rising, why are they now worse at coaching than they were at the start of the game? I had a similar experience with one of my coaches. Employed Tony Meola as a GK coach with 18 GK and a DDM of 39. After a few years his GK dropped to 17 and his DDM was down to 36...and yet his CA was somehow higher than the start? He was only in his early 40s, to boot. I have top training facilities, if that should matter.

Not quite sure what you did at the start, did you set their CA, PA and attributes in an editor?

It sounds to me like you made their DDM attributes too high for their CA, so the game reduced them. So while they are worse than when you started, they are better than when the game reduced their DDM attributes to a level which was a good fit for their CA.

I set the CA/PA and DDM ratings in the database. They started the game with the ratings I gave them (and assigned all the others at random) but their DDM ratings have been declining each year. That's the part that I'm not understanding, particularly with the GK coach example. He was signed to perform one job only (GK coaching) so why on earth are the stats that impact GK coaching (GK, DDM) declining while he's supposedly improving as a coach? It's hard enough guessing as to how good a coach can become in-game, so for their attributes to seemingly fall at random is an added layer of frustration.

Making players/staff in the editor is not as straight-forward as it seems. I find it strange that they had the attributes you made and then they are reduced, though. Normally they start the game with lower attributes than you gave them, which increase over time.

actually i have coaches who will start out as 5 star and reduce to 4 for reasons i dont understand. clearly im only going to give them the one task if they have that high of a rating so why do they end up getting worse?

actually i have coaches who will start out as 5 star and reduce to 4 for reasons i dont understand. clearly im only going to give them the one task if they have that high of a rating so why do they end up getting worse?

Maybe because of the training facilities?

You fiddled with their CA/PA and attributes. They might be too high for their ages and reputations, so the game pulls them down to fit with the algorithm.

If I recall correctly, they didn't even have ratings in the original DB. So I gave them the CA/PA ratings (which admittedly aren't very high) and the DDM ratings to give them a chance at being good coaches (going off of last year's coaching formula.) They started out decently and I was monitoring their progress to possibly bring them in as coaches for my team, but each year their DDM ratings have gone down. Granted TFC Academy has a reputation under 2,000...but FMRTE is showing that their CA is still increasing. Theoretically, they should be better coaches now. But in reality they're worse! And like uclazy31, I've had some coaches actually lose star ratings over time, despite hiring young(er) coaches that shouldn't be declining.

Archived