Unrealistic Players going to the Olympics

I've just been checking out the squads for the 2012 Olympics and there seems to be some surprising inclusions. Usually, most over-23s are players that are past their prime (i.e. Ronaldinho a few years back), but in the current Argentina squad, they have Aguero and Higuain.

Now I know that they are eligible and could go to the Olympics, but would this realisitcally happen?

This isn't exactly a problem in the game and probably makes the competition a bit more exciting (is it counted as non-competitive?), it's just slightly...odd.

Wilshere and Bale will both be within the age limit for playing in the tournament.

Realisitcally you wouldn't expect 2 top (over 23s) players to be in one squad. I have checked the squads for the last Olympics. The only 2 notable players were Mascherano (24), Riquelme (28?) and Ronaldinho (28). Mascherano had expressed a desire to play in the competition all a long. Apart from them, there was very few players over 23.

It is well within the rules for a team to call them up but it just doesn't happen irl. It wasn't just Argentina, the other teams have done it as well. I can't remember all of them off the top of my head but they included Joe Hart, Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney, Tim Cahill, Yohan Gourcuff, Loic Remmy, Hulk, and Gervinho.

Archived