Moving Upstairs

Wasn't sure if i should put this in the CSE thread but i guess i'm not really putting it out there for others to do.

Basically i've been at arsenal for 9 years now and have done everything except for top united's record of 19 league titles but i decided i no longer have the passion to take my team further but i also don't believe i can leave and trust someone else to keep the current crop of kids whilst still winning titles so i decided to become a self imposed director of football, kind of. I have David Villa hired as my assman but he has been promote to manager as he takes control of every aspect of the team (matches, press conferences, etc) so all i do now is oversee what he's doing.

Last season we won nothing finishing second in the league, semi final of the fa cup and runner up for champs league, so naturally changes needed to be made, i stepped in and spent 95m on two players (Pato 65m, regen 30m) so i expected results from now under pressure villa. coming up to november nothing brilliant to speak of, in the title race, not qualified in the champs league as yet and out of the carling cup albeit to chelsea so i decided he had 5 games to save his job. 4 clean sheets and 14 goals later he looked pretty much safe then lost at west brom (a big team in my game) so i decided to keep him on for the rest of the season (turned out to be a good decision seeing as he was on a 4 year deal on £115k a week, huge wages for an assman), in the end he managed to complete the double taking the league and champions league :D

I just thought its a pretty good idea for those who feel bored after a while with the big teams after winning everything, so you may wanna give it a go, or not.

I left my ass-man in charge of my FM09 save from August to December one season once my team had become dominant... (out of curiosity)

I won't ever be doing that again... we still won the EPL and the ECL - ass-man won the WCC (not hard though is it?) but I needed till the last game of the season to clinch the title... I dunno why but we were 4th and struggling in the league at Christmas (although we had qualified comfortably from the ECL groups) and we were about 10 points behind Arsenal..

I guess it just goes to who just how much influence we do actually have over the way our teams play?

so all you do is transfers and contracts ?

yeah but I don't really sign anyone, i've used this role for 3 seasons now and only bought players in the 2018/2019 season due to the fact that we went trophyless. What i normally do is attend the meetings every other month and look at the transfer suggestions and then check out the assman team feedback to see where strengthening is needed then i go out and only sign players my scouts say are at least 3.5 stars so its not totally at my discretion. when signing Pato, my assistant recommended him when i asked for a team report so i thought why not.

@Tom_15390 i understand that position that's why i believe this would only be for people that reckon they've found the perfect tactics that make the game too easy for them

If you really want this role without "cheating"....then you can take charge of a country and "appoint" your youth teams manager....they have full control of the teams in this case and you can simply "sack" them if they do not perform. No "cheating by signing big guns for them to put in their team, or change the training, or select the tactics etc....they select and train and do all the managery stuff.

Of course, the downside here is that you'll have to prevent yourself from being sacked...ie, you have to do well with the national team too...to me, that is the best of both worlds, being a manager as well as a director for my nation's youth teams.

:p

If you really want this role without "cheating"....then you can take charge of a country and "appoint" your youth teams manager....they have full control of the teams in this case and you can simply "sack" them if they do not perform. No "cheating by signing big guns for them to put in their team, or change the training, or select the tactics etc....they select and train and do all the managery stuff.

Of course, the downside here is that you'll have to prevent yourself from being sacked...ie, you have to do well with the national team too...to me, that is the best of both worlds, being a manager as well as a director for my nation's youth teams.

:p

isn't that what everyone does anyway? i barely stay in a national team job following a major tournament but surely everyone does this, you could do the same thing with reserves/under 18s although when my arsenal under 18s fail to win the league, i replace the manager with another of my coaching staff rather than sacking them altogether, but usually i have a former player in the role and then they get poached when other managers get the sack

Archived