Tactics

Is there a bug regarding saving tactics? I asked in a previous posting and got a couple of answers. I had a 4-4-2 tactic saved, created a 4-5-1 with the same players as my 4-4-2, went back and clicked on tactic on the tactics screen. i saw both the 4-4-2 and the 4-5-1 available. I clicked on the original 4-4-2 and the players were out of position. It was still a 4-4-2 but the players were in the wrong spots. Spots or positions they do not play. What am I doing wrong. I can't seem to get an answer on this. I am a newbie and assume this is an extremely important part of the game. If I'm an idiot, I'll accept that if someone can lead me out of the woods. Or is it a bug? Either way it's maddening. Help Please!!!

There is a huge bug regarding tactics.

SI's pig headed refusal to release a hotfix for this with their 'patching strategy' has made me evaluate my 'buying strategy'. From now on i'm only going to buy the game after the last patch, when it's actually a finished product.

hahahahaha i love posters like you, "pig headed refusal" hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :)

im sure your buying strategy will really worry them.

Couldn't care less whether it worries them or not. Just making my point that in future i'm going to save myself some money and frustration and pick up the game when it's as good as it can be.

...and pig headed? Yes. SI could learn a few things from other software companies who release patches as and when bugs are found, not on a rigid 3 patch cycle.

Couldn't care less whether it worries them or not. Just making my point that in future i'm going to save myself some money and frustration and pick up the game when it's as good as it can be.

good stuff, hopefully we wont need to see any more moaning posts from you about the game then, we all end up happy in the end :)

...and pig headed? Yes. SI could learn a few things from other software companies who release patches as and when bugs are found, not on a rigid 3 patch cycle.

you would be right, if they had not already released two hotfixes outwith their "rigid" 3 patch cycle. so in essence they are doing more than some companys, having a patching schedule AND hotfixing major bugs, not bad for a pig headed company who dont care about the people buying their games i would have said.

you would be right, if they had not already released two hotfixes outwith their "rigid" 3 patch cycle. so in essence they are doing more than some companys, having a patching schedule AND hotfixing major bugs, not bad for a pig headed company who dont care about the people buying their games i would have said.

That's my point though! Why fix one major bug yet ignore another?

That's my point though! Why fix one major bug yet ignore another?

do you have ANY idea in the world how they go about fixing things in this game, and how do you go about fixing something that is not easily replicated, it does not happen for every person playing the game, calm down a bit and actually think about it before ranting and spouting abuse towards SI. The tactics bug will be fixed when SI are confident they have fixed it, not one second before.

do you have ANY idea in the world how they go about fixing things in this game, and how do you go about fixing something that is not easily replicated, it does not happen for every person playing the game, calm down a bit and actually think about it before ranting and spouting abuse towards SI. The tactics bug will be fixed when SI are confident they have fixed it, not one second before.

Yes i do. Have a read of the bugs thead, you'll find the tactics bug is simple to replicate.

What software gets patches released when bugs are found? There would be patches every day? I use software that costs me €2000 and patches are released every 6 - 9 months, and new software is ready to buy every 18-24 months.

That's the nature of the world. I remember when you bought a game you couldn't get a patch. Or there would be a fix in a PC magazine you'd buy in Easons, but it wouldn't come out for a year.

This is the real world - they cannot fix every bug out there (if this is even a bug). Sometimes software can't be hotfixed for various reasons to do with how it was coded in the first place. Sometimes fixes can be easily made and distributed.

I wouldn't call this a bug or buggy or anything like that.

You set your team to a 3 - 5 - 2 formation. Save that tactic.

Then you change the tactic to 4-4-2 and put in the players. Great.

Then revert to 3 - 5 - 2 - those players have to go somewhere - they can't just all say "no i'm playing defender I'm a defender I'm not going to midfield"

What you want to do is "SAVE SELECTION" it's in the top right hand corner. You can save the players you've selected for that formation. So call it "3-5-2 attacking team" or "4-4-2 defensive team"

You see - you had the option all along.

You see - you had the option all along.

No, no i didn't. There's more to this bug that what you've posted.

The main issue i have with tactics is that my game simply forgets my settings. I use 1 tactic, so no switching involved, and the game doesn't remember individual player instructions and set piece instructions. The set piece bug has been present for me in every on every patch in FM11, the forgetting of individual player instructions only cropped up in 11.2/11.2.1.

Thanks anyway.

Yes i do. Have a read of the bugs thead, you'll find the tactics bug is simple to replicate.

not really, as i say it does not happen for everyone and if it was easy to fix SI would not have said they are finding it difficult to replicate in their office and they have offered work arounds until they have the final fix for it. You have found one bug which can be worked around and you are going off on one demanding something is done about it, do you really think they are happy having this bug in their game, or that they are ignoring it because they dont care? Anyway if your so clued up on the coding of FM why not email SI with the fix for this simple problem then we can all move on.

The game, to my knowledge, has NEVER remembered individual player instructions or set piece instructions. These are issued on a game by game basis.

I admit, it would be nice to always have one player take long shots over another. But that's more of a "feature request" than a bug.

I will generally set my team up and set the long shots, through balls accordingly. The only thing I have to remember is who is good at what and put them in that spot. Else I have to individually change each players instructions.

Again though - this option, AFAIK, has NEVER been available in Football Manager. So suggesting it could be fixed in a "hotfix" is not right, because that's not how the game currently operates.

it would be a cool feature. I'd much prefer to be able to set who my Through Ball players are, and long shot players are, and who has the most flair. So when I put these players on the pitch the individual instructions change accordingly.

It would be a nice feature - but it's not how FM works currently.

not really, as i say it does not happen for everyone and if it was easy to fix SI would not have said they are finding it difficult to replicate in their office and they have offered work arounds until they have the final fix for it. You have found one bug which can be worked around and you are going off on one demanding something is done about it, do you really think they are happy having this bug in their game, or that they are ignoring it because they dont care? Anyway if your so clued up on the coding of FM why not email SI with the fix for this simple problem then we can all move on.

Why have you taken it upon yourself to constantly reply to all my posts in such a negative way? We have a difference of opinion, get over it!

I clearly am not able to fix bugs in this game, i am simply a customer, like you. Why the need for this petty sarcasm? You're like a dog with a bone.

Add me to your ignore list as that's what i've done done with you and we can both move on.

The game, to my knowledge, has NEVER remembered individual player instructions or set piece instructions. These are issued on a game by game basis.

I admit, it would be nice to always have one player take long shots over another. But that's more of a "feature request" than a bug.

I will generally set my team up and set the long shots, through balls accordingly. The only thing I have to remember is who is good at what and put them in that spot. Else I have to individually change each players instructions.

Again though - this option, AFAIK, has NEVER been available in Football Manager. So suggesting it could be fixed in a "hotfix" is not right, because that's not how the game currently operates.

it would be a cool feature. I'd much prefer to be able to set who my Through Ball players are, and long shot players are, and who has the most flair. So when I put these players on the pitch the individual instructions change accordingly.

It would be a nice feature - but it's not how FM works currently.

I think you misunderstand. When i say 'individual' i mean individual instructions to a postion, not a specific player.

For example, I go into my tactics screen and select the individual instructions for my STC. I tick 'marking' and set it to 'zonal'. I them come out of my tactic screen and go back in and marking is now unticked for that same player. This shouldn't happen. It should remember the setting i made a moment ago.

Doesn't happen all the time but occurs frequently enough to easily replicate for different instructions for different players in my game.

Do you save the Tactic before going back and forward?

I've never seen this. I've never noticed.

I set my team up and set the tactics and save the tactic. I don't do anything else. 6 titles and champ league in a row says it's working for me.

Do you save the Tactic before going back and forward?

I've never seen this. I've never noticed.

I set my team up and set the tactics and save the tactic. I don't do anything else. 6 titles and champ league in a row says it's working for me.

Yeah i do.

Not one of those things you would easily notice. I spotted it by accident after realising i'd forgotton to change something else.

I spend quite a bit of time in the tactic forums here and many other users experience the same thing. I suppose you are more likely to notice it when you are tweaking a tactic player by player to release on the forums.

Make you a bit paranoid that the game isn't obeying simple instructions and makes you check constantly!

No, no i didn't. There's more to this bug that what you've posted.

The main issue i have with tactics is that my game simply forgets my settings. I use 1 tactic, so no switching involved, and the game doesn't remember individual player instructions and set piece instructions. The set piece bug has been present for me in every on every patch in FM11, the forgetting of individual player instructions only cropped up in 11.2/11.2.1.

Thanks anyway.

Agree. Off course this is a bug and a really annoying one. I've tried the so called "work around" but it didn't help.

If the tactics (individual player and set pieces instructions) randomly get annulled without having changed anything (nor players nor instructions) it obviously is a bug. A few times I've even seen this bug occur during a match.

Agree. Off course this is a bug and a really annoying one. I've tried the so called "work around" but it didn't help.

If the tactics (individual player and set pieces instructions) randomly get annulled without having changed anything (nor players nor instructions) it obviously is a bug. A few times I've even seen this bug occur during a match.

Spot on. I think many people simply don't notice this huge bug as perhaps they don't pay enough attention to the tactical side as others do.

As for replication, it's easy, just try it. SI said they didn't need my save game to be uploaded as they were aware of the issue and it was 'under review'.

Wow! Yes I save the tactic. I create a tactic, (4-4-2) save the tactic. Look under tactics and it's there. I create another formation/tactic (4-5-1) save it. I look under tactics. They (4-4-2 and the 4-5-1) are both there. I go back and click on the original 4-4-2 and my players are out of position My CM is playing forward, my forward is plying midfield etc. I go back to the 4-5-1 and everything is out of whack there also. Milnerpoint, why so hostel? I'm trying to learn the game, which can be very complex to a newcomer. I guess I can go look and search for other threads regarding workarounds and bugs etc. I was hoping that someone who has played the game a while could explain it to me. If not fine. I work more than a full time job like many of us and was hoping for an easier way if possible. If I have to put in the work, then I guess I will have to. I was hoping that is what the forum could help with some of this this kind of stuff. For those of us that are learning about tactics etc, it can be a bit daunting.

Well if it's as well documented as you all say then I'm sure FM are working on fixing it. Nothing much to say about it.... it's been noted already.

Completely up to you if you continue to buy the game or not.

Yeah, of course. This was all i was saying before certain people tried to jump down my throat.

It's well documented though - why bring it up again?

Perhaps SI should release a site for Wishlist/bug reports for the game.

I have a feeling your voice won't be heard on the forums (unless in the bugs section).

You need to save the selection - i've said this earlier.
I just mentioned above that I saved the selection. Don't I mention that twice in the first line of my last post? Here is what I wrote, see above (Wow! Yes I save the tactic. I create a tactic, (4-4-2) save the tactic) AmI somehow missing your point Eugene?

It's well documented though - why bring it up again?

Perhaps SI should release a site for Wishlist/bug reports for the game.

I have a feeling your voice won't be heard on the forums (unless in the bugs section).

Are you talking to me? If so I didn't start this thread. I was just answering the OP's question rather than the standard 'do a search' answers that usually get posted.

..and well documented? You said yourself you knew nothing of the bug i described?

You save the tactic. But there is an option to Save the Selection of players you've chosen.

The save tactic and save selection are two different things.

Is the opton to save te selection of players under the section where I create the tactic, or after I create it under the tactis option where the other options are Create, Save, Manage, Edit set pieces? Thanks

Archived