Looking wound up / In danger of losing discipline

Looking wound up / In danger of being booked / In danger of losing discipline

This is what the motivation tab says for most of my players in my squad. What exactly does it mean and how can I fight it, as it seems to ruin my results.. My usual team talk is 'have faith' for every player, morale for most of my players is superb. The discipline in the team is really high by the way, I haven't had a red card in ages, I fine players after such events, so they can't be moaning about lack of discipline.

I use that team talk cheat as well and haven't noticed this unless I'm losing. I'd guess it might be related to the determination stat somehow. Maybe if things are going quite to plan those players get frustrated and try to change things for the better, occasionally looking like they might get sent off.

A good example of this is Steven Gerrard through Liverpool's struggles over the last couple of years. Charging round like a headless chicken trying to carry 10 men and a whole club's history on his shoulders.

• 3 months later...

That happens when your players are over-motivated. With that I mean that you have put so much pressure on them that they are either losing their focus out of stress (wound-up), sacrificing themselves for the team by playing recklessly (looking ill-disciplined/in danger of losing discipline) and basically giving more than 100% to win.

This is positive if you are behind and they need to give everything in order to claw their way back. They will never work as hard or tackle as hard as when they are over-motivated.

On the other hand, the risks you and they are taking may cause them to lose their calm in front of both goals and in tackles/challenges with their oppositon. If you have nothing to lose, being "angry" or "expecting nothing less than a win" may often achieve those motivations in half-time.

It is strange that you manage to do so with "wish luck". That team talk is obviously putting even more pressure on some players than I thought...

Archived