steam do you recommand it?

Not a fan of Steam myself. I prefer just having the DVD in the drive.

I guess I personally don't like having a third party piece of software running on my computer all of the time. I'm not too keen on feeling that I lack control of the game as well, like when new updates come through, and where it is installed etc. I don't like that it installs FM in its own directory and, to me, I felt unhappy using it in a general sense. My early experiences with Steam were quite negative - during FM09 - and so I have really made up my mind not to use it if I can help it.

A lot of people tell me that Steam has got a lot better since the early days and talked about how useful it is. They may be right but I just prefer the old DVD in the drive technique right now.

I got FM11 through steam it's the first time I have used them and I have had no problems at all. I will always download the patches so having it done for me is a bonus plus I like the achievements. A few people have had negative experiences with steam but so far I cannot fault them at all.

I personally love steam I have dozens of Pc games,most in a rack but as much as possible I use steam now.As a poster further up said,in bygone days steam was a bit of a git,I had loads of problems with it,but in the last couple of years its come into its own and is by and large faultless for me.I can understand people not liking the way it seems to take control and do things automatically,but thats personal preference.It takes a lot of hassle out of updates and such,but it depends if you like that sort of thing.I recommend it to most people.

I've used Steam for well over 6/7 years now and have not had a single problem with - used it for Counter Strike etc. Since i moved away from the UK digital downloads have been the most convenient way for me to get the FM games.

It's quick, stable and updates automatically. (i know the update for 11.2 caused problems for some people, but that's not down to Steam).

Highly recommend.

Cheers again guys so what is it i have to do just click buy fm then there will be an icon on my desktop i guess?

No, it won't be on your desktop (unless you want it to be), you do have the option though. But it will be "in" Steam. You will have a Steam library which contains all your steam games. It's a lot easier to have all the games there than having it all cluttering your desktop. Plus, Steam has the BEST holiday sales on games. The next three weeks are going to blow your mind. I'm not even kidding. I still have games I bought last xmas that I haven't played yet lol.

Just spend some time getting to know the ends and outs. It's more than just a digital delivery platform, it's also a community, a chat program, a way to easier join your friends in online games, and for games that integrate with the Steam platform, it gives the incentive of achievements. Actually, Football Manager is a great example of the latter :) People who don't get the Steam version don't have the achievements.

Archived